• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Make Training Fun?

Starling008

Fire Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    Training, training, training. It seems to go on forever. And when you've been doing it for a long time, do you ever feel like just giving up? I know I have, and I was curious if anyone has come up with a way to make it a little more interesting. So, where do you train, how do you train, and what do you do while you train?

Years
    First, read my sig. I am not opposed to using a 2x or 5x experience modifier on Action Replay. Even doubling the rate you gain exp makes the game so much more fun and playable.

Second, I train up matched teams by going through the game again, rather than switching in and out with my already-trained pokemon. Again, Action Replay helps with this because I can reset the trainer battles by holding L and talking to them. (Still looking for a code that resets the gym leaders. If you know of one, PM me.) Anyway, here are the teams I have trained together:
    * (current) - Team Eevee - all 7 evolutions plus a normal Eevee. Ironically, the basic Eevee is turning out to be my favorite.
    * (next planned one) - Worthwhile bugs - Scyther, Scizor, Pinsir, Heracross, Yanma
    Previous teams:
    * Humanform - started with Magby/Elekid, added two Smoochums (one ice, one psychic) and a Riolu along the way.
    * Tyrogue and Ralts - Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Hitmontop, Gallade, and Gardevoir
    My starter teams, which include all three starters plus that Gen's basic electric type.
    * Red/Blue - Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, and Pikachu
    * Gold/Silver - Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, and Mareep
    * Diamond/Pearl - Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup, and Shinx

I can't explain why, but training up these teams is way more fun for me than training up individual pokémon. Even now, I can't separate my Magmortar and Electivire. They always come as a matched pair. And I won't use Torterra without its buddies Infernape, Empoleon, and Luxray.

Unionhack

Yes Indeed
    Years
    I usually play through the game while listening to music, or use the experiences in the game for ideas in writing. Usually helps.

Le Creep!

~don't act blonde.
    Years
    It's boring for me also, but I just eat a snack, listen to my favourite song or watch TV while training. But usually when I watch TV I'm more concentrated on the television than I am leveling up my Magmar.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
    I watch tv sometimes. Then I don't even really take much notice, and run on autopilot. then i look down and go "oh cool it leveled up!".... *autopilot*. Or I just start daydreaming, which i do a lot

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
    I only train when I'm in the mood, lol. And then I can focus solely on training with music playing more as a bonus. But eh, I can't play unless I'm in the mood :/

halamence

Horror...
    Years
    How I train :/
    I just hear too music while I go through the Elite four/Red with EXP.Share.
    I basically never watch TV.
    But at YouTube hearing too music...
    Sometimes Im a Serebii checking ways too ehh catch some Pokemons and that (won't really help)
    So I battle Red or Elite four hearing too music with EXP.Share.

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    I only battle Pokemon I can OHKO, it's more fun that way. :P

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    u_u When I was completing my Pokédex in Diamond and had to train a bunch of things up to their final evolution levels, I'd repeatedly do run-throughs of the Elite 4. I'd bring 4 of my main team in and one or two other Pokémon and an EXP Share. Then repeat.

That was really boring but it was also very mindless, so it was simple to do it while watching anime or TV or something.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Watch tv, watch videos, IM some people...I've even resorted to actually playing 2 games at once.

Eeohnex

Illuminate
    Years
    What I tend to do while I do some EV training or just training in general is; watch TV, watch random videos on YouTube, AIM with some friends and sometimes I like to have a snack or if I'm really bored I start texting while listening to music.

Years
    I like to lay in bed with my eyes closed and use my ears to hear which pokemon I'm battling in the wild.

I also watch tv or one of my brothers play PS3/Xbox360 and insult them for getting their asses handed to them

xPsychosocial

A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
    Years
    If I'm in the mood to train properly without using my Action Replay, I'll usually have Pokémon Battle Revolution in the background or I'll usually be on my laptop on here or Youtube.

Back