• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Make your own starter trio!

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2021
    Has anyone else ever thought about what it'd be like to set up a starter trio for yourself with a different set up than the usual water vs fire vs grass?

I ponder this sometimes for my own enjoyment and wonder if you all have ideas of a trio of Pokémon you would make starters if you could make your own Pokémon game. So I figured, let's have some fun with this. Please share your ideas for a trio of starters with the following requirements:

1. Can be any pokemon(minus legendaries and current starters) in any generation(can mix generations).

2. Use 3 types that are not the standard 3 types, though you can include one of the standard 3 types(ex. You could do water, ground, and electric).

3. Make sure types have symmetry against each other(the standard rock-paper-scissors format). You can use dual types too as long as they have symmetry between all the types(like the gen 6 starters, a tall order, I know, though not impossible).

4. Try to pick Pokémon with the same number of evolutions(ex all 3 starters should be in a 2 evolution line or all in a 3 evolution line, and if one requires a stone all should require a stone).

It can take some time to think about this, but I will give you all an example I came up with:

A ground, electric, and water starter: Sandshrew, Electrike, and Buizel. They have symmetry against each other, all are part of a 2 evolution line, and all evolve through the same means(and as a bonus, around the same level as Buizel and Electrike evolve at level 26, and Sandshrew evolves at level 22).

I personally love the idea of this trio and would have a hard time picking which one to use! Does all this make sense? Hope so! Looking forward to hearing what people come up with.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2021
    Dragonking, interesting idea for sure. How would it work? Would you know up front which stone your eevee can use?

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2021
    Just need a couple new eeveelutions and this could be a thing.

1. Flareon, Vaporeon, and Leafeon
    2. Umbreon, espeon, and fighting type evolution.
    3. Jolteon, Vaporeon, ground type evolution.

Get on it gamefreak! Lol.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2021
    Other ones I have thought about:

1. Cubchoo, Mienfoo, and Taillow(all 2 stage starters, ice beats flying, flying beats fighting, fighting beats ice).

2. Bellsprout, caterpie, and roggenrola(all 3 stage starters, grass beats rock, rock beats bug, bug beats grass. Prob the most flawed given differing evolution levels and I'm not sure how many actual bug moves butterfree learns).

3. Ledyba , Shroomish, and Cranidos(all 2 stage starters, at least similar evolution levels, Breloom gains fighting type but Ledian's flying type maintains symmetry as flying is good against fighting and bug is good against grass, Rampardos being rock is good against both bug and flying, maintaining strength against Ledian as well, and both of Breloom's types, grass and fighting, are strong against rock).

In case you can't tell I am most proud of option 3, lol.

Years
  • How about a rideable trio of Bergmite/Cufant/Mudbray? Ground beats Steel beats Ice beats Ground, all are large and can be ridden on (which gets even cooler when they evolve), and they evolve at levels 30, 34 and 37 (not ideal, but satisfactory).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2021
    Ice v steel v ground is a combo I hadn't thought of! That's awesome! I would personally have a hard time picking from that trio because I like them all too!

I have thought three dragons could be cool, like a Pokémon how to train your dragon version. It'd be cool to make a game where everyone can only get dragons and all the TM and move tutor are readily available. With everyone's Pokémon having similar weaknesses and super effective moves to each other it would really emphasize skill and strategy. Think I'd pick Dratini in this trio, but it'd also be a hard choice.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I have thought three dragons could be cool, like a Pokémon how to train your dragon version. It'd be cool to make a game where everyone can only get dragons and all the TM and move tutor are readily available. With everyone's Pokémon having similar weaknesses and super effective moves to each other it would really emphasize skill and strategy. Think I'd pick Dratini in this trio, but it'd also be a hard choice.

Indeed, Dragon-types would be cool. You'd just have to find three of them that are about equally strong, evolve at about the same levels and preferably have different battle styles.

Interestingly, I've realised that a starter trio's essence, apart from having type symmetry, is also having different battle styles. Take any trio of starters and you'll see: slow special Venusaur, fast special Charizard, defensive Blastoise. Fast special Sceptile, mixed offensive Blaziken, slow physical Swampert.

Years
  • You could also try starter duos - could be interesting. First that comes to mind: Deino and Dreepy. Similar/same stats, take a million years to evolve at same/similar levels (though you could jump start them during the imaginary plot), strong against each other and are one, two and three entities in each stage.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2021
    I had started to think about duos too. Could be cool and put greater emphasis on competition with your rival.

I thought of one trade trio, but it's a bit of a stretch:
    Elekid, rhyhorn, and poliwag. They have type symmetry, but you'd have to take away the king's Rock requirement to get politoed(or just ensure all players get it automatically), evo levels don't match well, and I think Politoed would be WAY outmatched by Electivire and Rhyperior. Like I said, it's a stretch.

Interestingly, the old school trade evo lines almost work: gengsr beats alakazam, alakazam beats machamp, but machamp can't effect gengar. If he were dark type it would work, too bad.

Last edited:

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • You could also try starter duos - could be interesting. First that comes to mind: Deino and Dreepy. Similar/same stats, take a million years to evolve (so you could jump start them during the imaginary plot), strong against each other and are one, two and three entities in each stage.

Deino is literally the worst alongside Goomy- He doesn't even evolve ONCE until the level area that all other Dragons become FULLY EVOLVED!

The only thing that makes him better than Goomy is he's actually viable and able to be used during the main game early story because his stats are marginally better lol. I still haven't figured out why the Deino evolution line takes so long. Hydreigon DOES NOT OUTCLASS the other fully evolved evolved Dragons by any means, let alone is he THAT MUCH BETTER that it warrants almost 20-30 more levels to evolve fully.

If anything him being one of the only ones with DOUBLE Fairy weakness makes it worse!

That said, Add Goomy to that duo and make it a threeway of hardest to train Dragons.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2021
    So if that is the hardest three to train, who are the easiest three?

I have another couple that came to mind:
    -Ferroseed, Numel, and Seel(all 2 stage starters, though they have the water-fire-grass types they also have steel-ground-ice symmetry).

2. , Cubone, Psyduck, and Magnemite

3. Blitzle, Krabby, and Phanpy(prob my favorite of this bunch).

4. Joltik, Carvanha, Numel(Bug and electric are good against water and dark, water good against fire and ground, ground and fire are goodness against electric and bug, all 2 stage starters).

-I feel like number 4 deserves a mic drop. I'd say of these I'd pick Ferroseed, Cubone, Phanpy, and Joltik.

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • Shroomish, Houndour, and Staryu.

2 stages, but it would be simple enough for you to receive the water stone around 25 or so to get the evolutions even. All finals have weaknesses and advantages. Grass and Fighting, Water and Psychic, and Dark and Fire.

Grass over Water, but Psychic above Fighting. Fire over Grass, but Fighting above Dark. Water over Fire, but Dark over Psychic.

It's literally an endless circle. Good luck with those Rival fights!

Years
  • I just thought of a Fire/Water/Electric trio that works: add Bug to them all! Sizzlipede, Dewpider, Joltik, for example. Fire beats Bug/Electric, Electric beats Bug/Water and Water beats Bug/Fire. Too bad Joltik evolves at such a late level, and Centiscorch is way stronger stat-wise than the other two, but they look really cool as a set.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2021
    Bravo Nikola P. I can see it now, the games could be called something like Pokemon insect and Pokémon arachnid. Love it. Sounds like a challenge to start with a big type too, like playing Pokémon on hard mode. And I agree totally, that group of 3 looks real nice together.

Years
  • Sounds like a challenge to start with a big type too, like playing Pokémon on hard mode.

Thanks! But don't underestimate the Bug type - one of the most powerful Pokémon for online battles I ever had was my Speed Boost Yanmega in Black. A "measly" Bug/Flying type, and she ate Hydreigon for breakfast!

Back