• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Making all HMs usable from the start?

PokemonFan2000Man

Ex-Pokemon Dictionary
Years
  • I've always wanted to get into ROM hacking, yet never tried up until recently. I want to make something centered around, say, using Surf or Fly from the start. Is there any way to do that?

The only ways I can think of are editing the gym leaders to all have level 1 Pokemon and put them all in a line, or setting certain flags when a script is running. Any ideas?

Also, in case it matters, I'm editing FireRed.

Edit: Solved!

setflag FR_BADGE_1
    setflag FR_BADGE_2
    setflag FR_BADGE_3
    setflag FR_BADGE_4
    setflag FR_BADGE_5
    setflag FR_BADGE_6
    setflag FR_BADGE_7
    setflag FR_BADGE_8

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2017
    You could use G3S and add Fly and Surf to all the starters such that they'd learn it at level 1.
    Or to Pidgey/Rattata/Mankey/Spearow, whatever floats your boat.

You could also try editing Viridian Mart so that you can buy the HM's there for cheap (say $1), but I haven't really played around with marts so who knows.

I dunno, just throwing out ideas.

PokemonFan2000Man

Ex-Pokemon Dictionary
    Years
  • The problem is you'd need to have the badges to use them, and I can't figure out how to either not need the badges to use HMs, or give the player all eight badges.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2017
    The problem is you'd need to have the badges to use them, and I can't figure out how to either not need the badges to use HMs, or give the player all eight badges.

Ooh, that's a fair point. I suppose if you can go into the script for one of the Gym Leaders, you might be able to find the code for giving the badge. Then you can just put that code (and the code for all the rest of the badges) in the dialogue of one of the people at the beginning of the game (like your mom or that girl by the sign or something).

PokemonFan2000Man

Ex-Pokemon Dictionary
    Years
  • That's pretty much what I was thinking. I'm not sure how to get to the Gym Leader's scripts, but I've found a pretty nice Google tutorial that could help. Good to see we have similar minds here!

You could also try editing Viridian Mart so that you can buy the HM's there for cheap (say $1), but I haven't really played around with marts so who knows.

I've gotten into Mart editing, and trust me, it's one of the easiest things to edit in the game. Just saying :P

PokemonFan2000Man

Ex-Pokemon Dictionary
    Years
  • Alright, I got it!

setflag FR_BADGE_1
    setflag FR_BADGE_2
    setflag FR_BADGE_3
    setflag FR_BADGE_4
    setflag FR_BADGE_5
    setflag FR_BADGE_6
    setflag FR_BADGE_7
    setflag FR_BADGE_8

This code gives the player all 8 badges. Didn't take too long to find it, too!

It's pretty easy to find out how it works: FR_BADGE_# gives you whatever badge you put in that # space. Thus, using all HMs is a snap!

Thanks for the support, I guess. Hopefully this helps anyone else who has this problem in the future!

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
  • Alright, I got it!

This code gives the player all 8 badges. Didn't take too long to find it, too!

It's pretty easy to find out how it works: FR_BADGE_# gives you whatever badge you put in that # space. Thus, using all HMs is a snap!

Thanks for the support, I guess. Hopefully this helps anyone else who has this problem in the future!

You do NOT need to have the badges, in other words you could remove the flags that check to see if you have the correct badges or not. Using those badge flags you found would remove the purpose of beating the gyms, since you're giving yourself the badges at the start. This post will help you:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7778220&postcount=370

Back