• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Making friends.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    How do most of your friendships develop? When you meet someone new, do you meet them with the intention of making them your friends (having the thought I want to be friends with you doesn't count), or do you feel your friendships can't be planned or forced or even desired before it's formed, and it forms over time on it's own?

Assuming you've made friends both ways, do you feel one way over the other is more efficient for making good, quality friends?

Kurui

Kageroza's Waifu
    Years
    I'm just friends with everyone. Well everyone who chooses to be. Unless people choose to hate me (I can't control that so........). In general I just love all of my friends, no matter how they are met. They are like family to me.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    For me, I just happen to make friends. I don't usually approach people with the intention of befriending them, so it's not planned. Typically I'll talk to people and our friendship just blossoms from there. In some cases, I do 'plan' to make friends, but that's mainly on the first day of school, class, sports practice, etc. And even then, it's more me being friendly rather than trying to make friends with people, if that makes any sense at all. I don't make it a goal to make a certain person a friend, though.

Even so, I don't think either way is more effective in making better friends. (That sounds like you make friends from a factory or something.) Quality friends don't come from how you came to be friends, but how your personalities mesh or clash, and the experiences you share.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Most of my friends I know through association with other friends. I'd consider myself outgoing apart from when it comes to meeting new people. (I know, I know: oxymoron!) A lot of my friends at school and uni were made by someone introducing themselves to me, and then introducing me to their friends, who subsequently became my friends. For the most part, I tend to get along with people unless they're particularly insufferable, so friendships develop relatively organically with me. Unless we have nothing in common - which is actually true of some of my friends - friendships will normally develop over time. Rare is the occasion when I meet someone who I instantly want to be friends with and who wants to be friends with me at the same time. These things just blossom and grow.

Years
    It just happens for me. I do sometimes take the initiative to find out more about a person I find interesting though. A good example would be in my first year of university. Had our induction week and I see this guy who is wearing a Bowser shirt. So after the induction class ended, I followed him for a short while before approaching him. I can't remember how the conversation went but we became friends shortly after and we became house mates during our second and final year of study. An example of a friendship developing naturally would be with my best friend. Things fell into place and yeah we've been friends for around eight years now and still going strong lol.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Usually a quick conversation is all it takes. I'm usually quite open about introducing myself to others and friendships just start from there. Of course, for someone to become a really good friend, it takes a bit more, like regular conversations between us where we begin to open up even more to each other.

Making friends just comes easy to me, probably because I do like being around others.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2012
    Making friends with someone is not something you can plan. Like for me, i love to talk to people. Then when the conversation goes well, you can ask them some information about them and you tell some of information about yourself in return.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Friendships definitely aren't forced for me. Me and my current best friend just kinda clicked when we started talking and got close quickly. I have a hard time making friends. I have social anxiety, so talking to people is hard enough, but I feel like I have a hard time fitting in with people, especially when I'm with a group. When I start to feel comfortable with the people and speak more, but get ignored or whatever, I just withdraw and feel rejected. So yeah, it's hard to comment on this topic because I don't have a lot of friends, don't really try to make friends (people tell me to try, and I just can't...they shouldn't be forced to where I have to literally TRY), don't want many friends, dislike hanging out with people out of my comfort zone, and don't maintain relationships well. I'm awful kinda. :( t's not that I'm mean to people or anything, I've always been nice and stuff, but it's just the problems I have with talking to people haha. Those that are my friend will tell you I'm really funny and nice and I never shut up! :D

Sir Codin

Don't really know. It just starts with talking to people who have similar interests to my own and it goes from there.

I don't think friendship is something you really plan for; it just happens, same way romantic relationships do.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Almost all of my friendships have been formed from mutual interests. That's usually what I start talking to people about and as we talk more about those things, we reveal more of ourselves and then we become genuine friends who care about what's going on with each other. I've met a few people only as friends of friends but without a common interest, I usually don't get very close to them. When there is an interest we share, that's usually how we connect moreso than mutual acquaintances or anything so I consider our friendship initially based on that instead of the other way. I rarely go into a friendship with the intention of actually becoming someone's friend. It just happens.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I don't think I've ever gone into an encounter with the intention of making a friend. I honestly don't know how I make friends, they've all just seemed to happen organically and without my knowledge.

HoopyFrood

Designated Robo-Hipster
    Years
    I'm extremely easy going so I make friends real easy, it's just up to the other people if they actually want to be friends wth me. I never go up to someone with the intention of being friends with them "Hey dawg I saw you creepin' over here so I wanted to be friends witchu'", I just usually meet people at parties or gatherings. There are a few special circumstances obviously with certain people.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    It's usually when I either start up a convo with them, but it's mainly when they do. I don't really go out of my way to talk to someone unless they share one of the uncommon interests I have. Which is pretty rare.

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
    Most of my friends I approached them myself. Rarely do I get contacted.

The best of the best that I have I've met by approaching them. I'm quite picky when it comes to quality friends. Although if it randomly occurs, I don't mind.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I'm not the greatest at making friends. For me it sort of develops over time. I sometimes feel that my mannerisms aren't the best for making friends, but I honestly don't really see myself changing it. If I do make friends with someone, I will do my best to be a good friend.

I just don't tend to show interest in talking to people, and don't make the first move to. If someone addresses me, I'll talk to them and do my very best to carry a conversation, and usually will be able to carry a conversation. But I hate breaking the ice and just don't find things to talk about. I feel like anything I would have to talk about would just bore people lol.

People say talk about what's on your mind, but most of the time I just have a song stuck in my head that I'm playing for myself.

Years
    Friendship can exist and form in many ways. What sets them apart are the connections that develop from the discussions you have with these people that could be potential friends. Mutual interests and ideals help to form those natural friends, which I believe to be a stronger form of friendship, while others form from just being a personable person and being able to maintain a conversation no matter similarities or differences. I've formed friendships from both and value each one for different reasons.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
    Years
    i never plan for my friendships..i leave it to come as it rains..but i keep being grateful to the people who give me a hand on something wiether it's small or big i don't care for that i just try to give them back the favor either way and maybe then we can be friends ^^

TBH,there are trusted friends,friends to chat with while i'm bored and friends to talk to them from time to time..the closest to my heart who aren't a lot now adays is my trusted friends!..the others i love them too but the trusted ones are like my family :)

Ayselipera

I've never planned a friendship it just happens. Actually most of the time while they're talking to me for the first time I'm thinking "oh god please stop talking to me I don't know you." and its full of me fake laughing and smiling and doing abnormal things. I think the better friends I have made I met through friends I already had. So I didn't feel the need to be so awkwardly not myself around them when we were first seeing each other.

Years
    Most of my friends move, turn on me 4 no reason, or stop callin' altogether 4 no reason... like... no phone service jr yr so I couldn't d8. No transportation 4 b-day party, & pencil 25cents, can't scratch b/c I bite nails, didn' wan' a fight, & that's it. I'm not apologizing 4 what I didn't do.

Cariad

world.search(you);
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    I'm pretty good at making friends. According to some of my older friends, they've noticed people tend to flock to me because I'm easy to get along with. I make new friends a lot, but more often than not they're friends with me for about a month and then turn on me.

Back