• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Making my own Forums Software

QueenZ

Your Friendly Linux Support
Years
  • Yes, but look at vBulletin... well yeah it's old but now it's just one gigant in forums software industry and if i can make my soft at least as good as vBulletin is i don't think it's that bad idea 'cuz then mine would be more than 2x cheaper than vBulletin is and still that good!

Which one would you buy if there would be 2 forums softwares like vBulletin?
    1 For $150 and another as good as vBulletin only for $60?

I think i'd choose the other one..

Youji

Game Designer
    Years
  • Yes, but look at vBulletin... well yeah it's old but now it's just one gigant in forums software industry and if i can make my soft at least as good as vBulletin is i don't think it's that bad idea 'cuz then mine would be more than 2x cheaper than vBulletin is and still that good!

Which one would you buy if there would be 2 forums softwares like vBulletin?
    1 For $150 and another as good as vBulletin only for $60?

I think i'd choose the other one..

Then try to get better than vBulletin...(which is imo not possible without really profeesional help) lol but read my another big post and think of it again. Don't expect too much...all who starts now are too late. The most topics already have a forum so new softwares don't have much success. Sure you can try(Tyler tries it too and I help him) but I wouldn't charge for it...

QueenZ

Years
  • Well in this case you just have to believe that i CAN make new forum software as good as vBulletin and if i succeed ( and i will ) we can talk about selling it.. :)

Youji

Game Designer
    Years
  • Well in this case you just have to believe that i CAN make new forum software as good as vBulletin and if i succeed ( and i will ) we can talk about selling it.. :)

If you're done you can show me :P.

QueenZ

Years
  • Okey.. i'll be done after few months i hope so.. but i can promise it will be done before summer... :D

Tyler

PHP Scripter
    Years
  • lol, if you honestly could make a forum system as good as vBulletin you would need to be a PHP expert. Plus if you look at there scripts you will notice it will have codes that you will not understand, unless you know PHP very well. I on the other hand have been using PHP for almost a year and a half and i know what most of there coding means.

Not to put you down but if you could exceed and make your forum system better than mine, which would be hard, then I might believe that you know PHP very well.

RevoBulletin will be out next week maybe March 1st as I have found some bugs. Also it will be hosted if you do not have a host, and it will be downloadable if you do have a host. Tho if you hate updating boards then using RevoBulletin Hosted is a good idea.

Thanks,
    Tyler

Lubricus

The one and only
    Years
  • You really shouldn't charge. Not Many people like to pay for scripts they have no idea how good its going to be. Make it free and if you think you can make your forum better then vb its going to take way more then a couple of months they have I think I'm not sure have about 10 people working on it.

lol, if you honestly could make a forum system as good as vBulletin you would need to be a PHP expert. Plus if you look at there scripts you will notice it will have codes that you will not understand, unless you know PHP very well. I on the other hand have been using PHP for almost a year and a half and i know what most of there coding means.

Not to put you down but if you could exceed and make your forum system better than mine, which would be hard, then I might believe that you know PHP very well.

RevoBulletin will be out next week maybe March 1st as I have found some bugs. Also it will be hosted if you do not have a host, and it will be downloadable if you do have a host. Tho if you hate updating boards then using RevoBulletin Hosted is a good idea.

Thanks,
    Tyler[/QUOTE

And Tyler just have to say I love revobb I was able to signup before you shut the signups off. I can't wait to get to see it and make some mods for it.

QueenZ

Years
  • Ok, i can say i'm php expert and i must also tell you that i've been working on my soft since oktober 2007.. so.. i think i've come a long way to make it this good.. :P

QueenZ

Years
  • Well i don't really try to do my best grammer here.. :P I'm just having fun at this great forum!! :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2014
    I don't know much about software but with every other product it doesn't matter how good it is. It matters how you market it and vbulletin has just been around so long it already has a reputation and people know what to expect with it.

QueenZ

Years
  • That's right but after 10 years, you can say that my board has been around for so long and you know what to expect from it.. so.. it's just the matter of time.. :)

Tyler

PHP Scripter
    Years
  • I seriously doubt you will keep your board open for that long. You will of course grow tired of it and sell it to make some dough.

Tyler

PHP Scripter
    Years
  • If i get some great team i can run it forever.. but so far i'm the only one in team.. :D
    Still with a team you won't last that long. You will get a life in college and won't be able to upgrade. You'll then get a Girlfriend and get married have kids and most likely stop working.

I have years to go you are 17 i think your profile said, im only 16 and I have more years.

QueenZ

Years
  • I'm already in college and i deal with it quite good! :P Well i do have a little team.. for some graphics.. :D

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
  • Still with a team you won't last that long. You will get a life in college and won't be able to upgrade. You'll then get a Girlfriend and get married have kids and most likely stop working.

I have years to go you are 17 i think your profile said, im only 16 and I have more years.
    I don't think he has to worry about getting a life/girlfriend.

benji

ウサギちゃん!
    Years
  • Get a life? Yes, definitely. Get a girlfriend? Just keep dreaming. Nah, just kidding. XD

Anyways, I'll try not to be mean, but there are several reasons why it it unlikely you could write forum software that would exceed vBulletin in quality. First and foremost, they had an eight-year headstart. Jelsoft is the company that produces vBulletin, and considering they have an entire workforce on development (and technical support, which you couldn't really provide), I don't think you could overtake them. ^^'

I'm sure you're very smart, as you're in college at age 17. Although writing software is really the best way to develop skills in a particular language, it would be folly to compare it to vBulletin. There are many other ventures and projects you could spend your free time on. You would be more respected if you took time to proofread your posts, however. =D

Youji

Game Designer
    Years
  • Also the guys of vBulletin don't work on it at their free time. They work on it as business. That'S why you have to pay for it. Also you'll never ever get better than vBulletin...that's IMPOSSIBLE.

Back