• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Manga needs its own section

'Zard

Vulpes bicaudata's alternate
Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2010
    The PokéCommunity's Pokémon Manga section is very inactive compared to the manga sections on other Pokémon forums. I put it down to the fact that it's a child forum. Doesn't it deserve its own forum? That would probably liven it up.

'Zard

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2010
    Isn't that sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy? I think it's not as popular because it doesn't have its own forum.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Isn't that sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy? I think it's not as popular because it doesn't have its own forum.
    Just because it doesn't have its own forum section doesn't mean its not popular, people still post things in there, just in a small amount. Having a section for it wouldn't change that :o

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    The fact that it's a forum by itself or not doesn't determine whether it'll be active or not. If people want to talk about the manga, they'll look for the manga section, and it's not too hard to skip it since its linked right there in the first forum of the forum category. I proposed that the Shipping Debates thread, basically the only shipping thing here, would be upgraded to it's own forum or just sub-forum. But of course, it's not going to work because it's only the same little group of people discussing in it with a few new people once in a while.

The Webmaster section was also it's own strong forum, but it was demoted to a sub forum of the Tech forum not too long ago because of activity. So see, there is no correlation between subject status, and activity, there is only a positive correlation between activity and status. And the reason there isn't activity much is because there aren't that many people that read the manga, because it's not anything big in America, Australia, or UK, the biggest countries were our population comes from.

'Zard

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2010
    But why are the manga sections on other forums (e.g. Serebii, BMGF) much more active?

Spinor

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    But why are the manga sections on other forums (e.g. Serebii, BMGF) much more active?

The thing is, I'll admit that I didn't even realize this until a good long while after I joined, Pokecommunity is more known for ROM Hacking. Look at how many views, threads, and posts it has right now and compare that to other sections.

Serebii and BMGF have had their names for a while longer as just Pokemon forums for everyone. Serebii doesn't even allow custom avatars due to server reasons, I think. And each forum has its own policies for organization too along with different decision making processes between administrators.

The golden rule of the internet is "It's the admin's website, and they can do whatever the hell they want with it"

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I wouldn't mind seeing the Pokemon Manga and Anime sections merged together as they're both relatively inactive and it's a little disconcerting to see something specific like "Pokemon Manga/Comics" as a subforum of something as broad as "Pokemon General" XD

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Agree with Timbjerr, actually. Manga and anime are on the same page with things anyway, when you think about it. Not so much Pokemon General for Pokemon Manga. But all I can say about manga having its own section, just look at it. If it was active before this suggestion, don't you think it would have already had a section by now? I'll use the Challenge board for example. Challenges were becoming wildly popular in all the Pokemon Gaming sections of PC, and cluttering up their respective forums, hiding the discussions and such. So what happened? It got its own forum. Manga isn't in that situation, so there's really no need for it to have its own place.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • The golden rule of the internet is "It's the admin's website, and they can do whatever the hell they want with it"
    That's only true to a certain extent. The staff here works as a team. Whatever decisions are made, whatever ideas are brought up, they are always discussed between the staff. Nothing major ever happens without a majority's approval. Other than server changes or issues which are handled by Rukario, matters such as a change in forum / sub-forum, rule changes, etc. They're all a matter of discussion between the staff before it actually happens.

Anyway, the reason why the Manga & Comic area doesn't have its own forum, is because it just doesn't hold enough activity to warrant one, which has been said already. However, compared to Serebii or BMGf, PokéCommunity doesn't have that large of a fan base that is too interested into the Manga or even Shipping Debates like the members over in other forums. Which to me is disappointing, because a lot of the sections here (Pokémon and non-Pokémon) that lack in activity really deserves it in my opinion. They each hold a lot of valuable discussions that can go on within these forums (which goes to show by looking at other forums), but it's not the matter of creating it's own section, but the need for more interest within them. Unfortunately, we just don't have that [yet].

I wouldn't mind seeing the Pokemon Manga and Anime sections merged together as they're both relatively inactive and it's a little disconcerting to see something specific like "Pokemon Manga/Comics" as a subforum of something as broad as "Pokemon General" XD
    Edit: Saw this after I posted.

I actually agree with this idea. In a lot of cases, I see the Manga more in relation to go under Pokémon Anime than under Pokémon General. Not only in terms of activity, but because they actually do relate more so than Pokémon General which serves for more of broad discussion. Which brings to mind, before the Manga & Comics section has its own shipping debates thread, its discussion went with Pokémon Anime's shipping debates thread. So, I'm pretty much inclined to this idea.

Last edited:

Spinor

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I wouldn't mind seeing the Pokemon Manga and Anime sections merged together as they're both relatively inactive and it's a little disconcerting to see something specific like "Pokemon Manga/Comics" as a subforum of something as broad as "Pokemon General" XD

One reason I'm against is because the Manga and Anime are two different things. It's not a bad idea for some people, but that's honestly going to get confusing for a lot of discussion. The Manga and Anime share plenty of characters by what I hear. And I think it'd just be a big puddle of disorganized mess or completely dominated by Anime threads.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Pokemon Manga could just go as a suboforum in the Pokemon Anime section since it's lesser known. Better than being the Pokemon General subforum.

Spinor

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    For organization reasons, that would be alright. But it's not like a change will accomplish a lot. The Anime forums also already has a sub-forum for episode discussions.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • I agree with AdvancedK47. It wouldn't be all that bad if it had it's own forum, but it's not like that's going to make it more active.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm just saying this in favor of making sense and having better organization, not for activity. And I'm talking about the Pokemon Manga, not manga in general. Just wanted to clarify.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Sydian you stole my points. D:

I always thought that Pokemon Manga/Comics forum should be a Pokemon Anime subforum. It makes more sense to me, because anime & manga do tend to go hand-in-hand.

Spinor

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Sydian you stole my points. D:

I always thought that Pokemon Manga/Comics forum should be a Pokemon Anime subforum. It makes more sense to me, because anime & manga do tend to go hand-in-hand.

Yes, Anime and Manga go hand in hand. Even though it doesn't involve activity, it can be simply for organization to move the sub-forum under Pokemon Anime.

Which actually, may sort of involve activity because of improved organization. Organization always plays an important role in many aspects of a forum board.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I'm going to go ahead and say we do not need to move Pokemon Manga & Comics. It's right where it ought to be, because it has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ANIME!

Simple as that really. As far as discussing other manga, you can post in Japanese Entertainment for that.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I have to agree with Pachy. From what I've read in and about the manga, there isn't much relation to the anime. Characters have a completely different biography and background, from what I know of, and it seems like combining the two sections would be something that I know I'd find sort of wtf-ish.

I do think that separating it from Pokémon General would do it some good. It's one of the main branches of Pokémon and because of that, whether it's active or not, I feel it should have a dedicated forum rather than a sub-forum of the sort.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • If you were to put the manga in with the anime, you guys obviously are suggesting changing the name of said subforum to "Other Pokemon Media" or something like that, right? No way would it be more at home in the anime subforum, but neither does it really fit with General.

(And the TCG bit seems small enough to be thrown in there as well)

Back