• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Map Generator Script for Essentials

Years
  • Is there a random map generator script or program for essentials that runes moderately well?
    My abilities at making maps is very poor and I would like to speed up my game development time.
    Thank you.

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    Big no-no. Using an automated program completely ruins any thought or creativity, and will certainly make the maps feel completely soulless. I'm sure it's a good program, but I highly discourage anyone from using it in their project.

Years
  • I can definitely understand that perspective - an algorithm is not going to be able to compete with a human creatively, and if you want a nice, tailored experience it's not going to give you that. But I think it's a stretch to say to never use it. For one, someone who isn't confident in mapping could use it as a jumping off point. Sure, the maps will feel pretty same-y (among other things), but maybe they will complete something they otherwise would not have. And if they just use the random maps with no changes, well, then they will get a bland game. If someone wants their game to be aesthetically pleasing, unique, and polished, they will have to get their hands dirty at some point regardless of if they start from scratch or from a generated map.

I kind of think of it like a spark for creativity, rather than it's replacement. It's no substitute for handmade maps, but you can take the output and enhance it, maybe certain generated features inspire a better, more human-touched version with a similar layout, etc. Even if you don't use the maps at all and just get ideas for your own for maps made from scratch, it can still be useful. But I do get what you're saying.

Personally I just enjoy working on it for my own amusement, but I do hope people get some value out of it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2024
    Big no-no. Using an automated program completely ruins any thought or creativity, and will certainly make the maps feel completely soulless. I'm sure it's a good program, but I highly discourage anyone from using it in their project.

Hey man, sometimes dudes and dudettes just want to get on with their story, which you cant add to the game without a physical map

Back