• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years
  • I don't really like this map at all. There's a ton of empty space and at the same time, you cramped the bottom buildings down. There is plenty of room to shift the buildings up. Another thing, the sign in the middle of the path isn't very appealing. Just shift the path to the left a little bit and that problem is fixed. The flowers are kind of randomly placed and look bad. Try grouping them to make them look more realistic.

2/10

Map Name: Verde Path
    ROM: Fire Red BPRE
    Hack: Pokémon Apollo
    Credits: PrinceLegendario, Dewitty, Kymotonian, TheDeadHeroAlistair

Spoiler:

I REALLY don't like HGSS grass, but this map has converted me. It looks so natural, yet challenging and not monotonous to play.
    For that reason, 10/10 is justified!

and for mine!
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Middleshore Town. A town of 2 halves. I've tried to cut down on the ledges, but they still find a place!
    On evidence of this and my other maps, would you say i would be competent to map my hack?

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Map Name: Verde Path

Spoiler:

Simply Amazing.
    I don't really HGSS tiles in hacks,
    but other than that I can't really
    find any faults in it.

10/10

Now here's my map. :3
    Spoiler:

Ignore any border errors, they can be easily fixed.
    This map doesn't have a hack.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Map Name: Verde Path

Spoiler:

You just keep getting better and better, don't you? It's incredible, to say the least. HOW DO YOU KEEP THINKING UP STUFF LIKE THIS? D:

Oh, but there will be border errors on that bottom-left side where the mountain leaves the map.

Now for my own, much less spectacular map.

Map Name: Citrine City
    ROM: Pokémon Emerald BPEE
    Hack: Pokémon Cobalt

Spoiler:

Xnenai

Developing Polyglot
    Years
  • Map Name: Aize
    Hack: Aizenyai
    Credits: Xnenai Xyinaa
    I like snow, snowy places, I could probably do something about the edges to make them look more attractive.

Good ratings and comments make me happy,
    Bad ratings and Constructive Critizism make me better, so that I can submit better maps that get higher ratings and make me happy.
    Win - Win situation.

I put the events in the pic on purpose, dunno if itll ruin the picutre though.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • @ Ninja caterpie, That reminds me A LOT of oldale town, but other than that its fine. you've left a lot of space but not too much, and i like RSE tiles.

8/10

CAN SOME PLEASE RATE MINE AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE PLEASE D:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Seeing as you asked nicely...

and for mine!
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Middleshore Town. A town of 2 halves. I've tried to cut down on the ledges, but they still find a place!
    On evidence of this and my other maps, would you say i would be competent to map my hack?

I'll say you're competent enough to map, but don't add any flair-y bits. That double ledge? That's only going to cause problems, they don't work like that.

Otherwise, it's a pretty nice map. Rather plain, but, hey, it works when you need it to. Try not to change the width of the paths, but there isn't much I can say is a problem. Mostly, you've given the player enough room to walk, although I can't be too sure once you add in NPCs.

And there'll probably be border problems north of the cave.

Also, it's not really a problem, but that bit where the water meets the mountain's a bit weird. Maybe you could put the water-ledge there instead of having it meet directly? Oh, and that would cause border errors too.

Yeah, actually, scratch that. Work on your borders or your hack is going to look really bad.

Also, can someone rate my world map?

Map Rating/Review Thread

Ignore the sides' emptiness, it's covered in-game.

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Also, can someone rate my world map?

Map Rating/Review Thread

Ignore the sides' emptiness, it's covered in-game.

The biggest problem I see here is that the main continent.. well, it just looks like a mass of swirly stuff as opposed to land formations. I think you would be better off making large sections of color instead of this whole swirly idea you've got going on; mountains and such don't just spontaneously show up and then go flat and then come back up again.

Also, I think you should add some smaller islands in the water (with or without actual places the player can go) to fill up space. The ocean isn't without its unmarked (idk) islands, y'know. also it looks really empty

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    I like snow, snowy places, I could probably do something about the edges to make them look more attractive.

Good ratings and comments make me happy,
    Bad ratings and Constructive Critizism make me better, so that I can submit better maps that get higher ratings and make me happy.
    Win - Win situation.

I put the events in the pic on purpose, dunno if itll ruin the picutre though.

Nn. It's a really unusual town. First, everyone lives in caves which are located in house-sized mounds. That's really odd. Second, there's tall grass in the town. Wild Pokemon are usually never found in towns. Are you trying to suggest it's a really wild place, or were you trying to give the map some variety?

Third, the town is located at the bottom of a large pit. At least, that's the feeling I get from the edges of the map. It's a really uncomfortable feeling. Plus, the sides are perfectly square, so I can't even pretend it's a meteorite crater or something.

There's a bit of a tile error on the house mounds. The lower mountain level needs to be wider than the top mountain level. And you forgot to block edit the skinny trees on top of the mounds.

Last edited:

Xnenai

Developing Polyglot
    Years
  • Nn. It's a really unusual town. First, everyone lives in caves which are located in house-sized mounds. That's really odd. Second, there's tall grass in the town. Wild Pokemon are usually never found in towns. Are you trying to suggest it's a really wild place, or were you trying to give the map some variety?

Third, the town is located at the bottom of a large pit. At least, that's the feeling I get from the edges of the map. It's a really uncomfortable feeling. Plus, the sides are perfectly square, so I can't even pretend it's a meteorite crater or something.

There's a bit of a tile error on the house mounds. The lower mountain level needs to be wider than the top mountain level. And you forgot to block edit the skinny trees on top of the mounds.

Well first off, the grass is more of just decoration, i didnt put any pointers to pokemon in the map or w/e they are. The plot line im developing would explain the reason for the town being underground. yea there are some tile glitchs, i had a similar type of map (much bigger and the side were more pleasant. to this one but it was lost after xp crashed etc. So all the glitchs are due to, i guess lazyness but i will fix them.

What i do want to try is, tell the player that they do start out in a cave, but im looking for a way to make the edges not seem so dull and or feel like your in a cave but more of a serine snowy like place. INcluding the hometown, the rest of the game is going to be mostly snowy places, which i love a lot in any games.

Im gonna try and make the map more circular and dynamic around the edges, and fix those tile glitchs.

Lastly, the reason I made the buildings and houses as is, is because I wanted to try something new when i made the original map. .-.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Map Rating/Review Thread

So...I sort of changed it. It might look plain and weird, but, hey, it fits with the GBA's ability to have a tileset of 256. I had to shove it up two blocks to make it work though. ;-;

Anyway, can someone rate the way it works? You start at the southern-most mainland town, and head north along Route 201. At the crossroads, you go west onto Route 202 to a city, then up through Primrose Forest to the big one. You follow Routes 203 and 204 north and east respectively through a mountain to reach the next city, from where you'll go south down Routes 205 and 206 to the crossroad-town (with the professor's lab) again, for a quest.

A cave along Route 206 will take you back north to Route 207, which you follow east to reach the top-most port town. From which you take a boat across Routes 208 and 209 to the first island, then to the next port, where you get Surf. After that, you can either go back and explore the ocean area in Routes 208 and 209 or travel south, down Route 211 to the second island. Route 210 was to the west; back to the crossroads-town.

From there, you will follow Routes 212 and 213 back to your hometown and around to the big city again, where you earn the right to cross the mountain range on Route 214 into the other side of the region. You head south down Route 215 from the first town you come across and head east to the final port in the game.

You'll head south along Route 216 to the epic island city for a gym (with FLY) before returning to the port (via Fly, I suppose). You'll then head up north along Route 217 to the big city, from which you'll return to the mountain range via a one-way Route 218 and beat the Big Bad. Flying back to the final city, you'll head east along Route 219 and cross Route 220 onto Victory Island, where you will traverse Victory Road and challenge the Elite Four.

PS. I made all of this, with the quests and fly and extra bits, up on the spot. :D

Xnenai

Developing Polyglot
    Years
    Comments: Basically scratched my map, same concept as old one though. The map is also functional. any buildings on higher areas you can walk behind, same thing applies to trees etc.

I'd also like to give credits to the creater of the frozen_rombase im using. Unfortunately I don't remember the name, It's on the tip of my tongue... Can someone tell me who it is? (The only tiles I'm using right now are the tree tiles.)

Last edited:

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • Map Rating/Review Thread

So...I sort of changed it. It might look plain and weird, but, hey, it fits with the GBA's ability to have a tileset of 256. I had to shove it up two blocks to make it work though. ;-;

Anyway, can someone rate the way it works? You start at the southern-most mainland town, and head north along Route 201. At the crossroads, you go west onto Route 202 to a city, then up through Primrose Forest to the big one. You follow Routes 203 and 204 north and east respectively through a mountain to reach the next city, from where you'll go south down Routes 205 and 206 to the crossroad-town (with the professor's lab) again, for a quest.

A cave along Route 206 will take you back north to Route 207, which you follow east to reach the top-most port town. From which you take a boat across Routes 208 and 209 to the first island, then to the next port, where you get Surf. After that, you can either go back and explore the ocean area in Routes 208 and 209 or travel south, down Route 211 to the second island. Route 210 was to the west; back to the crossroads-town.

From there, you will follow Routes 212 and 213 back to your hometown and around to the big city again, where you earn the right to cross the mountain range on Route 214 into the other side of the region. You head south down Route 215 from the first town you come across and head east to the final port in the game.

You'll head south along Route 216 to the epic island city for a gym (with FLY) before returning to the port (via Fly, I suppose). You'll then head up north along Route 217 to the big city, from which you'll return to the mountain range via a one-way Route 218 and beat the Big Bad. Flying back to the final city, you'll head east along Route 219 and cross Route 220 onto Victory Island, where you will traverse Victory Road and challenge the Elite Four.

PS. I made all of this, with the quests and fly and extra bits, up on the spot. :D

I feel that victory island shouldnt have a moat, ie the amount of water maybe needs increasing. a ring od water doesn tlook right

Flandre Scarlet

Free your mind.
    Years
  • Took a while but here:

Map Name: Pokemon Center
    ROM: FireRed
    Hack: Blue Moon
    Credits: MetalCoreSuit
    Spoiler:

Rate please? :D I'll rate in return.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • It's great...but the tiles don't match. The original FR tiles clash sort of with the new ones, detracting from the look of the map.

Uh, as a map itself, it's okay. The curved table doesn't really work with the FR healing machine, but I guess it's okay.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    Comments: Basically scratched my map, same concept as old one though. The map is also functional. any buildings on higher areas you can walk behind, same thing applies to trees etc.

I'd also like to give credits to the creater of the frozen_rombase im using. Unfortunately I don't remember the name, It's on the tip of my tongue... Can someone tell me who it is? (The only tiles I'm using right now are the tree tiles.)

The shape of the town is way nicer now. With the addition of wooden doors, the mounds make for convincing houses - you could almost forget they were made of rock. The town is still in a cavern, but it isn't so noticeable because the edges of the map aren't so eye-catching.

What you now have is a problem with space. You really don't need all that open space in the middle and between the houses. The few trees in the map look very out of place. The town looks more lonely than serene. I think you ought to give the town some structure. For instance, put all of the houses around an ice-covered lake or a courtyard, and fill in the empty space with trees. Put some paths between the houses to make the town look more lived-in.

Xnenai

Developing Polyglot
    Years
  • Thats good lol, i get what you mean about the house placement and the space. tbh i havnt finished the map when i uploaded this, but i was stumped on what to add, and will incorporate what would be better into it cause I do want it to look like its an alive town that is serene.

Orinjmate

The Orinj of the Mate
    Years
  • @Flandre Scarlet

It's a good map, but I agree with ninjacaterpie, the FR tiles clash with the custom ones.
    7/10

-----------------------------------
    My map

name: Path 7
    hack: Sky SD
    base rom: FR
    comments: It has a flying type dojo at the bottom and the leader of the dojo gives you HM fly after you beat them :D and the dead end at the bottom right has an item at the end.
    Spoiler:

sir.euge

Bunchies Back!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    First off, excellent use of the jumpable cliff thingies. It's not often that I see a map with this kind of shape... where you can see (or almost see) the end of the route from the very beginning, and then have to go through the whole winding route around the cliff to get there. I like it. I also find it hard to incorporate rivers the way you did, so good job. The bridge tiles don't really fit in with this palette though. Still, I see no reason to give anything lower than 10/10
    It would be nice to be able to come back and surf the river to find items scattered on the sides. maybe place a cave going in the side of the river. other than that 10/10

vietazn654

A sound soul dwells within me
    Years
  • @Flandre Scarlet

It's a good map, but I agree with ninjacaterpie, the FR tiles clash with the custom ones.
    7/10

-----------------------------------
    My map

name: Path 7
    hack: Sky SD
    base rom: FR
    comments: It has a flying type dojo at the bottom and the leader of the dojo gives you HM fly after you beat them :D and the dead end at the bottom right has an item at the end.
    Spoiler:
    I like it. It isn't bad, and I like the palletes/tiles. But the ledges seem random. I'll give it a 7/10.

Alright, and here is my map for a hack I'm working on.
    Name: Greenrise Village
    Hack: Pokemon Dark Destiny: The Rise of Death
    Base ROM: FireRed
    Credits: TB Pro - Palletes for trees, and onyx for ROM base.
    Comments: I think it's pretty good. A little village. =] But I think it's a little plain...
    Spoiler:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back