• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating Thread

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Ok so I finally finished pallet town.

<<<WARNING HUGE MAP>>>

LINK

Years
  • Ok so I finally finished pallet town.

<<<WARNING HUGE MAP>>>

LINK

So after looking over this map, I have a few comments.

1. I like how you have taken Pallet Town and made it your own.
    2. There is quite a bit of "useless" stuff on this map. Why the fields? If they have a purpose then why not add them off somewhere else on another map?
    3. The path with the sand off to the right looks great, but it don't serve a purpose since there is already another way from north to south not out of the way.
    4. Why so much blockage in the water? Once you have surf you have access to all the water. It looks like you are making your player have to enter the water three different places to get to the water different things. From the north for the honey trees, the sandy beach, then the water between has several access points.

Over all I think that the map looks wonderful. Great tile usage and placement. I just think it is to big. Good job though.

Syllyra

Pokémon Underground: Surfacing
    Years
  • I think some of the shadowing is a little off. I don't actually know why.
    But I really like.

9.9/10 (perfect doesn't exist, but you're getting damn close :P)

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    So after looking over this map, I have a few comments.

1. I like how you have taken Pallet Town and made it your own.
    2. There is quite a bit of "useless" stuff on this map. Why the fields? If they have a purpose then why not add them off somewhere else on another map?
    3. The path with the sand off to the right looks great, but it don't serve a purpose since there is already another way from north to south not out of the way.
    4. Why so much blockage in the water? Once you have surf you have access to all the water. It looks like you are making your player have to enter the water three different places to get to the water different things. From the north for the honey trees, the sandy beach, then the water between has several access points.

Over all I think that the map looks wonderful. Great tile usage and placement. I just think it is to big. Good job though.

Thank you.

1. Thank you I was trying to make it as close to the anime version as possible while keeping it playable.
    2. The fields are there cus there in pallet town in the anime, this is for an anime exact projects that me and a few others are working on.
    3. The path is simply a space filler and to make it a litle more natural, there doesent need to be one way to reach something like in the games.
    4. The water has actually been modified since I posted the map on here, there are now less access points.

Thank you very much im quite proud of this map. The size though was at the request of the games creator to make it so its more anime realistic, and that it can fit all the maps together perfectly and still have enough room and space in things like cities.

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2012
    Test map for the Pokemon Ranger tileset I'm attempting to develop, as well as v1 of part of the starting city for my to-be-announced game.

TestMapforPokemonSaints.png

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Alucas: It's really odd for there to be fields in the center of the town, it makes it seem very artificial, as people wouldn't build their homes in one place, and farms in another. If these are meant to be older farms, then there should be a house by every single field, if they are relatively new, they should be out of the way, like on the right side of the map, with the town proper on the left.

The houses should also be much more centralized, if you are going to call it a 'town'. At the moment this isn't even an insignificant village. And you should completely drop the 'lolol hows wit no dore's. :\

It also isn't very realistic for the water to be that calm with so many obstructions along its length.

Civil Servant: It looks like you have two separate styles going there. The cartoonish look of the round red building clashes with the more realistic style used in the other buildings.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • Well here is a recent map from my game, its been awhile since i've posted one of these. Of course this is still a WIP but this is the basic layout of everything hope u enjoy.
    Spoiler:

The cave top right leads to another route, the cave at the bottom left goes to the next town

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • Nice, lots of stuff going on in the map and it certainly isn't too square. One thing though, you've entered the gym and top centre house incorrectly into your tile set. That's why they're blurred.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • Yeah, I noticed. Just never got around to fixing them even though it would take like a minute. lol I edited the map a little since i've posted this so some changes have been made. The only map I have that is square is my first town. All my maps have been improved greatly since i've posted them months back, some I am still using as you can see from the demo, if I am using them they've been improved.

Years
  • Well here is a recent map from my game, its been awhile since i've posted one of these. Of course this is still a WIP but this is the basic layout of everything hope u enjoy.
    Spoiler:

The cave top right leads to another route, the cave at the bottom left goes to the next town

I seen you said you have changed it some already. Have you added any smaller rocks in addition to the large ones you have there? I think it may add to the map quite a bit if you had some.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    A map I've made, its for a train station hub. I'm looking for some critique.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • ●•ΛΣЯӨЩ•●, while I like the tiles and general flow of your maps, I think you're using way too much grass. Having long grass everywhere like that would be a nightmare to play through. Don't be afraid of open spaces ;)

Years
  • Haha i got these sorta comments before but well when i have loads of grass, i drastically reduce the encounter rates of Pokemon so it'd be like the encounters of a normal pokemon games...

Edit : Its not long grass, its the normal HGSS tiles of grass made by Alistair....And well i'm trying to make the map look as Forest-ish ass possible so there's low on space!!

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • Here's the starting map of my game, Pokemon Olivine Version. I kind of need some help with it. There's something wrong with it, but I just don't know what. Emptiness? Too much details? Not sure.

Spoiler:

Back