• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aamelo

Reality Bender.
Years
After some good thoughts and after have quit most of my old projects, I decided that it was time to make a new attempt at a Pokémon FanGame, and, for that, I picked up my old region, "Soularia" from time back at my old account and decided it would be the region where the whole game would set in.

This is the first town, or, in other words, the starting town where the player will start his journey - with a beginning twist and an unexpected starter - and where the game's professor and player's house are located.

soularia__lumitron_town__remake__by_jorgeaamelo-d6kn7zh.png

In my opinion, the map is not as good as what I expected and as how I wanted to make my mapping skills better, as, in my eyes, its not that organized nor has the free space for the player to explore and due to that, I would like some comments on how this map could get better, as, for this project, I am devoted to make everything perfect, even if it means I have to remake the map thrice.

Credits: ~WesleyFG ~Minorthreat0987 *Alucus ~EVoLiNa ~The-Red-eX ~Heavy-Metal-Lover ~Minorthreat0987

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
Years
You really need to fill in the trees to be solid it's hard to tell where you can and can't actually go.
Actually, that is the effect I am going for. I noticed that when I'm testing the game, that effect makes the maps seem larger than they actually are.

However, I agree that the map is probably a bit too compact, so I completely redid it.

Spoiler:

One thing to keep in mind about this map: you may notice that some of the tiles seem blurry. I promise that they do not look like that in game, but for some reason they got like that when I uploaded the screenshot to PC.

Anyways, critique away!

SinfulGuroRose

Ignore me, I'm socially inept.
Years
@Aamelo: It seems that your starting town is in a cold area, right? I like the breaks in the snow, as it makes it more lively, but I'd think there wouldn't be so many, if any, flowers in such weather. And it might just be me, but I all the different types of trees are a bit disorienting.

Can I get some critique on the map attached? It's a town set in the desert, so I can't use plants as decoration as I'd normally do, but the streets seem so bare to me, and I can't figure a way to fix that. Also, does anyone have any tips on making routes less straight forward? I don't like the idea of just having a fixed path, as that makes the way to the destination too easy.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
After some good thoughts and after have quit most of my old projects, I decided that it was time to make a new attempt at a Pokémon FanGame, and, for that, I picked up my old region, "Soularia" from time back at my old account and decided it would be the region where the whole game would set in.

This is the first town, or, in other words, the starting town where the player will start his journey - with a beginning twist and an unexpected starter - and where the game's professor and player's house are located.

soularia__lumitron_town__remake__by_jorgeaamelo-d6kn7zh.png

In my opinion, the map is not as good as what I expected and as how I wanted to make my mapping skills better, as, in my eyes, its not that organized nor has the free space for the player to explore and due to that, I would like some comments on how this map could get better, as, for this project, I am devoted to make everything perfect, even if it means I have to remake the map thrice.

Credits: ~WesleyFG ~Minorthreat0987 *Alucus ~EVoLiNa ~The-Red-eX ~Heavy-Metal-Lover ~Minorthreat0987

I'm liking the simple layout of this map. It works well as a starting town. I also like the tiles you are using. I don't really see too much wrong with it. The details are nice, but would mushrooms or flowers grow in a wintery area?​

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
I'm wondering if this map is too boring. It runs perpendicular to another route, which is why there are three entrances/exits to the route on the left hand side.

Spoiler:

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
I'm wondering if this map is too boring. It runs perpendicular to another route, which is why there are three entrances/exits to the route on the left hand side.

Spoiler:

My only problem with it is if you're going to use "natural" treeline edges do so everywhere. A few honey trees(I use them as headbutt trees) helps break things up too. It's nice otherwise.

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017

Spoiler:

That looks WAY to straight. It needs some more curves, especially in the paths. At least, in my opinion.

Years
Can I get some critique on the map attached? It's a town set in the desert, so I can't use plants as decoration as I'd normally do, but the streets seem so bare to me, and I can't figure a way to fix that. Also, does anyone have any tips on making routes less straight forward? I don't like the idea of just having a fixed path, as that makes the way to the destination too easy.

Maybe tighten up the map a little. There's a lot of space around the edges that doesn't really need to be there and that's probably making it seem more empty. I mean, theoretically it makes it easier to move around, but since it's a town you're not going to be having random battles or anything so keeping only a few avenues is probably enough.

Spoiler:

The pink areas are probably okay areas for you to push the mountains in. The top edge is, I'm assuming, the edge of another route or area and usually you connect those with narrower paths so you might want to define where that is. (I assumed it would be to the left where the path is.) The green areas you might want to consider adding some stuff: fences, small rocks, walls, other city/town tiles like trashcans or whatever you have access to. Not necessarily all of them, but putting something in some of them would help it feel less empty.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2014
@WackyTurtle
Spoiler:
[/QUOTE]
I think all the Pokemon games have at least one of those maps. They're not boring at all when you're playing them. I think it's a good map, but you can do what joeyhugg said, and create some curves.

@Aamelo
Spoiler:

I loved the map and the graphics. The only thing I would thing about changing is that square sign at the center of the map. I don't know what does it say but I would put it 2 squares to the left.

@lauerolus
Spoiler:

It seems that the waterfall comes from an infinite water lake. I would quit the waterfall and let just the 2 lakes.

Here's the map of my game's first town:
CmUvFNP.png

Please, help me to make it look better. What would you add? And what would you quit/modify?

ImBlue

dabbadeedabadai
Years
Mixing buildings with and without outlines looks a bit weird in my opinion. Also three corners are perfectly square, and the last corner is just another square. Finally you might want to add details to the grass, such as flowers. Right now it looks almost like a green sheet of ice because there is nothing to break up the pattern.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
CmUvFNP.png

Please, help me to make it look better. What would you add? And what would you quit/modify?

I can see why there would be a bench on a high ledge, its a nice place to look out and relax to see the town's beauty, but in that manner, it appears very out of place and awkward - to the point where it doesnt give off it's intended result
perhaps instead it should be an indentation of the land, rather than elevation of it, and you can make it a dirt patch with rocks and such - the rest of the map however is very nicely laid out, and very basic for a starting area/easy going town; but I have 2 problems. The first is the "pond" next to the house, as it serves no purpose and looks extremely out of place - if you are dead set on having it, make it extend into the tree border and block it off after a certain point with the sea rocks, you can make it like a river that extends into town or something - the next is the sand path, it goes all through town, but does not connect to the one that extends to and past the PC. I think it would look better and make more sense if you did it that way instead.
Overrall it is a very nice map, and I like it a lot

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
CmUvFNP.png

You are tyring to make the map more interesting than it has to be, and it makes it look random instead.

Remove the mountain area behind the PC, and fill the entire area with trees.
Do the same with the hedged area in the lower right.

Next, having random trees, in the middle of the city just makes the town look abandoned, not more natural.
If you want to have trees as decorations or path-breakers, use them in larger groups of 2-3 trees, and make sure they aren't put in a place that someone would want to cut them down for being in the way.

Lastly, don't mix different types of houses in the same town. Use houses with the same designs, or same colored roofs.
And try using tiles that are outline OR no outlined, but please DO NOT MIX THEM. They clash horribly.

Still, I give this map in it's current state 6/10

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2014
Thank you all for your feedback. I'm going to modify the map with all the things you said. After that I'm going to edit this post with the new map image.
EDIT: Here's the new map. Does it look better now?
ntPjM9C.png

Last edited:

Aamelo

Reality Bender.
Years
Thanks for the comments and suggestions on the past map! I have given it some updates based on the comments and now I have to say it definitely looks much more better. Also, I will start soon to post in here with my new account of PokeCommunity (JorgeAamelo), as so far I still haven't got enough posts to post here. Well, today is my birthday, and, somehow, I decided to stick with finishing a map that I already had started. So here it is:

In the continuation of the new Soularia Region project I present to you the first route of all of the region: Route 601 that is directly connected to Lumitron Town located to the north of the route. And, as the route leaves the snowy town, as well as the snow slowly fades away and gives doors to a more greeny region.

In this first route you can expect the normal classic Pokémon that you would be able to catch in the other regions, probably including Ratatas and Pidgeys and even, maybe, some trainers in the mix, but not to high-level trainers, as for getting to the second town you also will need to pass though Route 602, which should be started right away!

soularia__route_601__remake__by_jorgeaamelo-d6l4rri.png

In my opinion, the "open-space" is much better than in previous map, and a lot of people I spoke too while doing this map told me that they loved the way the snow slowly faded away, something my self also like. Some people might say that there's way too much grass, but if that is the case, I will try and remove some of it, or lower down the percentage of encounters.

Credits as DeviantART Names: ~WesleyFG ~Minorthreat0987 =Alucus ~EVoLiNa ~The-Red-eX ~Heavy-Metal-Lover ~Minorthreat0987 ~ThatsSoWitty

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
Thanks for the comments and suggestions on the past map! I have given it some updates based on the comments and now I have to say it definitely looks much more better. Also, I will start soon to post in here with my new account of PokeCommunity (JorgeAamelo), as so far I still haven't got enough posts to post here. Well, today is my birthday, and, somehow, I decided to stick with finishing a map that I already had started. So here it is:

In the continuation of the new Soularia Region project I present to you the first route of all of the region: Route 601 that is directly connected to Lumitron Town located to the north of the route. And, as the route leaves the snowy town, as well as the snow slowly fades away and gives doors to a more greeny region.

In this first route you can expect the normal classic Pokémon that you would be able to catch in the other regions, probably including Ratatas and Pidgeys and even, maybe, some trainers in the mix, but not to high-level trainers, as for getting to the second town you also will need to pass though Route 602, which should be started right away!

soularia__route_601__remake__by_jorgeaamelo-d6l4rri.png

In my opinion, the "open-space" is much better than in previous map, and a lot of people I spoke too while doing this map told me that they loved the way the snow slowly faded away, something my self also like. Some people might say that there's way too much grass, but if that is the case, I will try and remove some of it, or lower down the percentage of encounters.

Credits as DeviantART Names: ~WesleyFG ~Minorthreat0987 =Alucus ~EVoLiNa ~The-Red-eX ~Heavy-Metal-Lover ~Minorthreat0987 ~ThatsSoWitty

I really like that. I can;t see anything wrong.

Now, here's my updated Starting Town with Kyle-dove's tileset.

PokemonStartingTown_zpscd2cf60a.png

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
Thank you all for your feedback. I'm going to modify the map with all the things you said. After that I'm going to edit this post with the new map image.
EDIT: Here's the new map. Does it look better now?
ntPjM9C.png

It looks a lot better now! :D

I still suggest changing the houses to have the same roof color, but it looks great!

8.5/10

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
It looks a lot better now! :D

I still suggest changing the houses to have the same roof color, but it looks great!

8.5/10

Houses and trees. The trees looking different like that are abrupt and distracting. These are more along tile changes, but they do weigh in on your maps.

Whitney's Shaymin

Creator Of Pokemon Grace
Years
I'm trying to get back into mapping for my game so here's route 403 (route 3)

route_403_by_pokemoner2500-d6luhur.png

Some of the trees on the bottom have been cut off but don't worry there are tree's down there/

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
I'm trying to get back into mapping for my game so here's route 403 (route 3)

route_403_by_pokemoner2500-d6luhur.png

Some of the trees on the bottom have been cut off but don't worry there are tree's down there/

It seems a bit straight. Plus, you can go through without entering tall grass. You need some form of impassable grass and a way to avoid it on the way back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back