• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Yeah sorry about that i found out waterfall tiles can't be just one high so maybe try making the ledge 2 high instead because like this it doesn't look quite natural.

Also i have made a new route in between 2 city's, you guys mind taking a look at it? I'm uncertain about the bridges but any feedback is welcome!

Attachments

• Route 6.png
    Route 6.png
    245.9 KB · Views: 43
Years
Thank you both for the feedback <3 I think I know what you guys mean c: I can't wait to update! I am a little confused by the waterfall being one tile high?

I think he means that since the rocks are 1 tiles high the waterfall should also be 1 high. However, it's impossible to make a waterfall 1 tile high(I think, might not be), so I'd advise the make the rocks there 2 tiles high

Years
Yeah sorry about that i found out waterfall tiles can't be just one high so maybe try making the ledge 2 high instead because like this it doesn't look quite natural.

Also i have made a new route in between 2 city's, you guys mind taking a look at it? I'm uncertain about the bridges but any feedback is welcome!

The map looks awesome I don't think I would be able to create something like. I would say there is an excessive amount of layers to the place but it's not like the person playing will pay attention to that I think. Now the route seems to be like just one path with this is like early on the game then the player won't be able to use surf. I'm just suggesting maybe like a second path for the player to take that would be connected to the one you have already created. It's like in the official games where there is a route that has less trainers but are kind of harder to beat.

Schleckenmiester

Developer
Years
So I've seen a lot of people posting maps in the Screenshot Showcase, but that's not really what it's for. So I'm making this thread for showcasing maps and reviewing them. This is not strict, so you have no obligation to rate the map above you. But if someone does it for you, return the favour as an act of courtesy.

Let me give you one bit of advise though. If you're going to mention tile errors, don't dwell on them too much. They're not a sign of bad mapping. They take about a second to change. Concentrate on the composition and quality of the map.

Just to get the ball rolling, I'll display a map. This is Route One from my game, the space on the right where the decline is, is purposeful.

Spoiler:

Does region map count?

attachment.php

Attachments

• mapRegion0.png
    mapRegion0.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 122
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Just playing around with tiles and such, I was hoping for some feedback on this map.
With the theme I was going for, I was trying to keep it tropical and compact.

For some reason it doesn't quite click for me yet, any thoughts?

Valencia Island with events.png

Years
Your island is very cute!

I think the only question that pops up for me is how do you get off the island? Other than that I really love it c:

I re-did my map to also make it smaller so it gives it a starting town feel

Town_zps7w5teaxq.png

Years
@out written, Your island looks pretty good so far, but id suggest adding more height ledges to it? i mean what kind of island is flat like that :3 other than that great work!

@fayt_darkblade great job dude! i love it now! yep definitely great improvement, id say a litle more trees but i just love adding a lot of green to my maps.

Years
@ Schleckenmiester
Your region map looks awesome! its just that the thing in the topright corner looks more like a logo then it looks like solid land, maybe add a little more thickness to that part?

Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Your island is very cute!

I think the only question that pops up for me is how do you get off the island? Other than that I really love it c:

I re-did my map to also make it smaller so it gives it a starting town feel

Town_zps7w5teaxq.png

Thank you! The building on the far left is actually a seaport, making it easier to control access on/off the island.

Looking better this time, though the waterfalls seem a little out of place for a 1 tile high cliff, but that might just be me, haha
Just a nit picky thing though, but the ground on the cliff level where you can walk (in front of the lab/house with the blue roof) might look better using the dirt path tile you're using instead. That way you could blend between that and the grass behind the lab better. :)

@xThatOneGuy Cheers! Not sure whether you meant another cliff level or just jumping ledges, but either way I think it'd add together nicely!

Years
@outwritten O: oooh ok! and yeah I see what you mean c: ty

@xthatoneguy ty <3 I figured redoing the map and making it look a bit more like a starting town would help alot xp

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 18, 2023
@Fayt_darkblade

I happen to like this map. Has the charm of Evergrande, I think. The only thing I can say is that the mountain turning to grass where the upper two buildings are is kind of jarring. Other than that, I think the spacing of everything is fine, the flowers don't look overdone... it's nice. I do agree though that the waterfall also looks a little odd, now that I look at it. It's making me want to make a smaller waterfall tile. Hmm... I might do that.

Years
That would be amazing O: and thank you! I was going based off the essentials waterfall and yeah I see what you mean with the grass being jarring.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 18, 2023
Okay after giving it some thought, first of all it looks like you're missing the waterfall's Crest. Second, the splash is too big for that waterfall. It should look like this:

Spoiler:

It's still a little odd, and it doesn't help that for some reason Essentials doesn't have river tiles O.o but that should help it look a little better. I've included the autotile for the smaller bottom here:

Attachments

• waterfallbottom2.png
    waterfallbottom2.png
    349 bytes · Views: 4
Years
I think I should post something again. This time the main focus of the maps this time isn't the a good structure or perfect playability. Instead I'm actually focusing on a good tilemix. Waht do you think about the following maps? The first one should be my main tilemix, but with sea-elements included (for waterroutes) and the second one should be a very dark and spooky forest. I don't know if they are good or if there are alternatives for some tiles. Especially the high grass of the last map is a bit weird, but I can't find good alternatives tbh.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
I think I should post something again. This time the main focus of the maps this time isn't the a good structure or perfect playability. Instead I'm actually focusing on a good tilemix. Waht do you think about the following maps? The first one should be my main tilemix, but with sea-elements included (for waterroutes) and the second one should be a very dark and spooky forest. I don't know if they are good or if there are alternatives for some tiles. Especially the high grass of the last map is a bit weird, but I can't find good alternatives tbh.

Spoiler:

Your maps look amazing dude, i love the tileset, especially on the top one <3 The way you mapped the trees at the top map is very diverse so that works nicely. The tall grass indeed looks pretty weird, maybe add a little more scructure to the front of the grasstile yourself? now its just a big same colored green filled space, adding more structure makes the tile less weird for sure. Just one thing i can say about the first map, the stairs that go straight up look waaaay to steep to actually climb. Other than that the maps are simply beautifull, well done!

Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
So I added in another level on the left of the map, and I think it looks much better now.
Though the map looks far prettier at night, as it features fireflies and other decorative lights.
Spoiler:

Anyway, I'd also like some feedback on the next Island, which is still a work in progress. At this stage I'm looking at perfecting the town part at least, so I was hoping for specifics about that. I'm thinking the city part looks too square, but it's meant to look man-made. It's a bit of a conflicting design decision for me, honestly...
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
So I added in another level on the left of the map, and I think it looks much better now.
Though the map looks far prettier at night, as it features fireflies and other decorative lights.
Spoiler:

Anyway, I'd also like some feedback on the next Island, which is still a work in progress. At this stage I'm looking at perfecting the town part at least, so I was hoping for specifics about that. I'm thinking the city part looks too square, but it's meant to look man-made. It's a bit of a conflicting design decision for me, honestly...
Spoiler:

I'm not able to see your maps dude, does anyone else have this problem or just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back