• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Mark VMs and PMs 'Unread'.

moments.

quixotic
Years
  • So, just had a little thought about the current PM and VM system regarding marking them as 'unread', so basically you can click your notification, and then if you want to reply to a VM later on, you can mark it as unread so the notification stays there until you 'read' it again.

Not really necessary, just useful perhaps. I know I've forgotten to reply to quite a few VMs because I intend to reply to them later, and then I just forget about them...

Thoughts? Also whether or not it is possible to code this. xP

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    You can already mark PMs as unread. If you tick the PM on your inbox and scroll down to the selected messages drop down above the search, you can do that. I have no opinion on marking VMs unread. I personally wouldn't use it.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • BUT this might be cool if it were implementable on VMs.

HOWEVER! There is a way to stick a notification for a VM too. Just "Unapprove" the VM in the moderation drop down after checking it, and it'll show up as an unapproved VM. Which is approximately the SAME exact function as marking it for reading later. (It's not re-marked as new, it's just marked to grab your attention later)

But it does hide the VM from public view, but whoever sent it can see it and it says "This Message is Moderated"

Mark VMs and PMs 'Unread'.

Last edited:

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years

HOWEVER! There is a way to stick a notification for a VM too. Just "Unapprove" the VM in the moderation drop down after checking it, and it'll show up as an unapproved VM. Which is approximately the SAME exact function as marking it for reading later. (It's not re-marked as new, it's just marked to grab your attention later)

But it does hide the VM from public view, but whoever sent it can see it and it says "This Message is Moderated"

After trying this out over twenty minutes ago, I accidentally kept the little box checked. I then went back to forum-browsing. It was only just now that I realised the box had stayed checked that entire time.
    I also tried it and found out even if you sign out, the box stays checked as long as you don't uncheck it or actually make any action from the drop-down list.

The point being, you could even use the check box alone to keep yourself aware of the message, as the message becomes highlighted when you check it. :3

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Hm I think being able to keep the notifications for VMs would be nice, like i guess unless you reply?

Another usefull feature for VMs is that like you go to a persons profile and be able to click a "View Conversations from this member" Or some other similar feature.
    Both are about vms so why not post it..

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Well, that might not be hard to do. It's just a matter of grabbing the user id of the user's profile you're viewing, and having yours...which is probably already in a cookie somewhere I'm sure...and slapping those two variables into the converse.php url and adding the link somewhere on the profile. (Purely up to staff where they put it as long as we can find it) XD

So not a bad idea.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    If you're both talking about what I think you're talking about, as in finding a conversation you've had with someone via their profile without digging through it, I think that option has always been there

Spoiler:

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years

• If you're both talking about what I think you're talking about, as in finding a conversation you've had with someone via their profile without digging through it, I think that option has always been there
    Yeah, that option's already there but I think they were talking about viewing all of a person's conversations.

If you are super desperate to stalk someone, like the purple unicorn said you can just do this:

https://www.pokecommunity.com/converse.php?u=3315&u2=90726
    (That's the conversation between Arcanine and Netto Azure. FYI I found it by finding a post by Netto made on Arcanine's profile and clicking "View Conversation" at the bottom right of the post.)

https://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=3315
    (That's Arcanine's profile.)

3315 is Arcanine's user ID.

Now let's say I want to see the conversation between Arcanine and Lightning.
    -Finds Lightning's profile-

It is https://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=31
    Her user ID is 31.

Now let's take the conversation from before and put Lightning into it in place of Netto Azure.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/converse.php?u=3315&u2=31

With the IDs of Arcanine and Lightning all snuggled up in the proper places, it goes right to their conversation. Try it. https://www.pokecommunity.com/converse.php?u=3315&u2=31

Sorry for incorporating random people here. xD I didn't do it with my own conversations because my visitor messages can't be seen by most people.

Last edited:

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • Not sure if it'd be that hard to code something to mark them as unread.
    But IMO the best way to take care of VMs (for me at least) is to only go to your profile when you're replying to VMs. I also try to reply to them all at once, and the ones I don't reply to I bookmark and get it later. I don't have a reason to go to my profile (that's what marks them as read), so I only view it when I want to reply to the VMs I have.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • Not sure if it'd be that hard to code something to mark them as unread.
    But IMO the best way to take care of VMs (for me at least) is to only go to your profile when you're replying to VMs. I also try to reply to them all at once, and the ones I don't reply to I bookmark and get it later. I don't have a reason to go to my profile (that's what marks them as read), so I only view it when I want to reply to the VMs I have.
    Some people do have a reason to go to their profile though, for instance every time I sign in I quickly access the list of posts I've made to check on threads I've posted on or threads that I've started myself.

I'm not saying I need this, because I don't at all, but I bet it would be immediately helpful to many members.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • So basically we'd get a notification in the control panel that we have VMs to reply to? I'd love this idea! I don't get that many VMs but I often forget convos and feel horrible when I do, so I'd definitely use it. And for people who won't be using it, no harm done, right? If, like Arcanine says, it wouldn't be too difficult to code in (and since we can do it with PMs I don't see why it would be although I don't really know coding myself so I don't hold much of an opinion here) I don't think it'd be too big a deal and would really help improve communication for some members.

Andrea-chan

~In the shadows~
    Years
  • Some people do have a reason to go to their profile though, for instance every time I sign in I quickly access the list of posts I've made to check on threads I've posted on or threads that I've started myself.

I'm not saying I need this, because I don't at all, but I bet it would be immediately helpful to many members.
    You could always bookmark your posts page. Or if you see one of your posts click your name and you can get there from one of the links via the dropdown box.

So basically we'd get a notification in the control panel that we have VMs to reply to? I'd love this idea! I don't get that many VMs but I often forget convos and feel horrible when I do, so I'd definitely use it. And for people who won't be using it, no harm done, right? If, like Arcanine says, it wouldn't be too difficult to code in (and since we can do it with PMs I don't see why it would be although I don't really know coding myself so I don't hold much of an opinion here) I don't think it'd be too big a deal and would really help improve communication for some members.
    I think what was meant was it wouldn't be hard to code the "Mark as unread". Because you already get a notification when you get a new VM from someone.

Melody

Banned
    Years

Technically it's already done, in a way. It's just not marked as "Unread". It's marked as Moderated, and that's probably just the same for a user anyway...because you GET a notification if there's a moderated message on your profile.

Back