• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

(Mature) DOOM

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    I really just cannot look at the game and imagine that no one at idSoft did not play at least a little of Brutal Doom.

Ohohohohohoho well i think we all know what happened during Idsoft's offices when they saw Brutal Doom.

If they ever saw Brutal Doom's mods (because mods of a mod are cool) such as Project Brutality, we may not have gotten DOOM at our original launch date. I would not have mind though. I'd want them to learn from Project Brutality and suddenly add some more monster variants (I want to be fighting some varients of Hell Knights) and customizable playthrough settings (I'd explain Project Brutality aka "Brutal Doom on steroids" soon but VERY VERY SOON)

Personally I think making enemies stronger is an appropriate way to increase difficulty, especially with them needing to stay inside the limits of what the engine can handle. This isn't like Dead Rising where you can have up to 300 zombies on screen lumbering with the same simplistic animations. These monsters are all very complex and including the same hordes that were in Classic Doom would break most modern computer systems and game consoles. So far I'm pretty happy with the intensity of the encounters in the game, and playing on harder difficulties will surely ramp that up when I can't reduce the horde as quickly.

And my favorite weapon so far? Probably the Combat Shotgun with the Burst Shot. Now that I have it maxed out it's a very valuable asset. The Super Shotgun is great too, but it sometimes feels cheap.

You do have the point when it comes to the monsters being far more advanced (i mean we all saw how glorious those Imps and Hell Knight AI are) thus we do need to respect the game engine's limits. But i feel like they could have at least added a bit more mobs (while still respecting the game engine) as the added challenge mainly since DOOM4Guy can't even have 50/50 Shotgun shells at the early game. To me at least, it does give the player in their POV that feeling of being overhelmed if they are to be surrounded and feel that they do got punished for not clearing fast enough, and not just suddenly get instagibbed out of nowhere. I mean, yeah i don't really mind that one melee hit from an imp can take off more than 20 out of a 100 of the Doomguy's unupgraded fresh HP bar but i just thought that having a basic enemy deal at least 20% of the main hero's fresh HP bar in one melee strike is still kinda overpadding to me.

Spoiler:

Regular Shotty with Burst Shot here as well. I love how punchy firing it feels.

Oh wait, Super Shotty told me that "Punchy" meant firing it at a Hell Knight's face ;)

That's also my gripe with the DOOM Plasma gun. It feels like the Doom 3 Plasma, which that one was already quite bad. Heck, I remember the original footage of the DOOM plasma looking so bad, it made me almost hurl.

I personally would like to use some of the HAR with dem Micro Missiles though. Tactical Scope HAR reminds me way too much of Brutal Doom/Project Brutality's starter rifle weapons. Oh wait, NOT AGAIN! (then again, this is still a Doom thread, so references to Doom mods are still relevant)

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    First, his name is Doom Marine, not Doom4Guy. I like the name quite a lot actually.
    Spoiler:

I actually think the effect of the Plasma Rifle's shots themselves are pretty true to the original, especially if you compare them to the ones in Doom 3 where they were basically just radiating points of light.

It is interesting to note how much the game actually does take from Doom 3. In particular, the Hell Knights seem a lot like the Doom 3 design, likely due to the original Hell Knights being simple recolors of the Baron of Hell with lower challenge rating. I love how the plot takes itself seriously like Doom 3 does, but the Doom Marine is like "FUCK YOUR PLOT SMASH EVERYTHING!" It makes the game an interesting analysis of the series as a whole I think.

Last level spoilers
    Spoiler:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    May i add that I'd still call our hero the Doomguy? because its much easier for me to type it down :))))

I'm so glad that the reviews of the game have been so favorable. Because its DOOM baby. Its how its done.

(also PC, thanks for the hits and views! Our lovely DOOM hub has quite a number of views in comparison to the other topics at the moment <3 <3 <3)

RIP AND TEAR!!!!!!!!!

This track is so good. So damn good. Its so good, it makes me want to actually invade hell itself and start ripping and tearing some fools.

And a guy managed to rip like really clear and lengthy versions of DOOM's amazing OST. I'm already betting that many Doom modders, especially for Brutal Doom/Project Brutality are going to rip the tunes for use of their own Doom mods and Doom maps.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    Okay so I have two ideas on what I should make next in SnapMap and I cannot decide which I should pursue first. I'll leave it up to you guys.

Idea 1: The aforementioned Hunt The Badass game type, three normal players vs one supercharged player with a super shotgun. Player is chosen at random when the game begins.

Idea 2: Solitaire Capture the Flag. One of the big complaints I see with SnapMap is that the 4 player limit is not conducive to CTF and TDM game types. So, what if you only needed one team of real players? Or even just one player against a team of demons? And I'm not talking fight through the horde to recover the flag, the demons will be after your flag as well. I already have an idea of how to do this.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    I think Idea 1 is a better start since the gameplay mode is simple enough to consider level design such as obstacles, ammo and armor placements, and whatnot to be a priority.

I mean its always good to do the simpler things first, while making sure that you can make an aesthetically well designed stage for it.

Also, since i came from an out of town trip with family a week ago, i figured that I'd want to recreate a chapel-like stage where it basically looks like this:
    Spoiler:

But I'm not sure if SNAPMAP is capable of creating your own architecture or whatnot.

PS: I never had experience in making Doom maps from the good ole days X_x so Snapmapping will be my first foray into Doom map making.

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    I think Idea 1 is a better start since the gameplay mode is simple enough to consider level design such as obstacles, ammo and armor placements, and whatnot to be a priority.

I mean its always good to do the simpler things first, while making sure that you can make an aesthetically well designed stage for it.

Also, since i came from an out of town trip with family a week ago, i figured that I'd want to recreate a chapel-like stage where it basically looks like this:
    Spoiler:

But I'm not sure if SNAPMAP is capable of creating your own architecture or whatnot.

PS: I never had experience in making Doom maps from the good ole days X_x so Snapmapping will be my first foray into Doom map making.
    If you want to make something like that, look into Doom Builder and do it in classic. You might be able to do something similar but SnapMap will never be able to replicate it effectively. You can build stuff technically, but it will mostly be squared off.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    AT THIS PARTICULAR MOMENT IN TIME, I DON'T BELIEVE I HAVE A HEALTHIER AND A MORE DEEPLY FELT RESPECT FOR ANY THREAD IN THIS UNIVERSE THAN OUR PARTICULAR DOOM THREAD!

So in order to keep things fresh and active, I'll be switching things a bit while keeping things Doom related...

So.. where does idsoftware go from here. Given DOOM's success, what direction they would go to next? An even more advanced SNAPMAP program a few months from now? Reusing their magnificent idtech 6 engine for newer games? DOOM expansion campaigns? I really want to seriously follow some more news and updates regarding DOOM's future and the rest of Idsoft's future.

Inb4 I'd like to see Heretic or Hexen rebooted with this engine.

Also, i forgot to mention, last time i was playing Brutal Doom: Project Brutality, i decided to mute GZDoom's ingame music (since i wasn't using a Doom metal p.wad) and i just slapped on some of DOOM's glorious soundtrack and holy hell, it was glorious! Lazarus Combat's theme is so good btw.

And yes, the best way to post in our thread is simple: Always open up your opening sentence by quoting the gloriously ridiculous Doom comic :)))

GenuinelyAuthentic

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/icon/213.pn
    Years
    I bought DOOM and I couldn't run it, I cri. My gaming laptop can barely run it in three frames per seconds.
    Hopefully, I'll be able to play it in a few months. I'm currently saving up for gaming machine.

DOOM 64 was my childhood, I loved to play it especially with the features you unlock once you complete the game (I, of course, needed them because I was absolutely abysmal without them and I mainly roleplayed in the game anyway.)

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Thats the thing with the game, it really needs a good rig with some high tier stuff for it to run, but i swear its so worth given the game's ability to run at an amazing rate. Did you miss out on your GFX card or your processor?

Ahhh Doom 64, its one of those games that I wanted to play but never did mainly since it was on the N64, which i never had. I do remember it being talked about for its insanely evil level design and overpowered lost souls. The options i have are getting Doom 64 EX, an emulation of Doom 64 designed for PCs or... I can wait for BRUTAL DOOM 64, made by the genius who made Brutal Doom (Sergeant_Mark_IV) ;) and seeing that much of my love for Doom was revived mainly because of Brutal Doom, of course I'd be playing the heck out of Brutal Doom 64 when Sargie Mark releases a playable beta of it. I'm following his progress on Moddb as I speak.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    I would also love to see a rehash of Heretic, though not presented like Doom. I think the setting is a ripe one, and deserves a more serious treatment than Doom. Doom is a pretty tongue in cheek game, and it works very well, but Heretic has the potential to explore the arcane in a way that few other games can. In a lot of ways it's actually much like the original concept for Quake before it became a straight shooter, combining action with magic. They should try to use idtech6 to create a game with a more compex combat system, and focus largely on how to make spellcasting more fun than simply pointing and shooting, a la Skyrim.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years

Just leaving this here around, mainly for those who want to play the game on lower end PCs that aren't laptops. This might be more relevant to my case but then again, I also consider the other readers of the thread if they have issues with being able to run the game but are not willing to spend a fortune for it, and other games.

Its actually quite interesting to know things like this. It goes to show how important a good CPU really is.

On a happy note:
    (Mature) DOOM

Finally my first ever "Hot" Topic in any board ^^

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Small bump but its DOOM 2016 related news. I can't have this scattered in other threads.

OH MY GOD! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH AHAHAHAHAHAHA MY PLASMA GUN IS LOADED AND COCKED.

DOOM DLC and Snapmap updates confirmed!

Important points:
    - More multiplayer modes
    - CLASSIC FFA DEATHMATCH (YES!!!)
    - Snap Map updates

When my new PC's done, I hope i can have all the DLCs.

Back