• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Mega Evolution in Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Do you think there will be new Mega forms?

• Yes

Votes: 232 93.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Dragon Pulse and Dragonbreath are most certainly not all Sceptile gets with his new typing. Dragon is an extremely valuable type to have, as it brings a plethora of unusually powerful moves a la Draco Meteor, if in fact Sceptile would be able to learn those, as well as new strengths. One of the main drawbacks is the 4x weakness to Ice, but Ice isn't necessarily a commonly used type, so this is a pretty significant gain for Sceptile.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Dragon Pulse and Dragonbreath are most certainly not all Sceptile gets with his new typing. Dragon is an extremely valuable type to have, as it brings a plethora of unusually powerful moves a la Draco Meteor, if in fact Sceptile would be able to learn those, as well as new strengths. One of the main drawbacks is the 4x weakness to Ice, but Ice isn't necessarily a commonly used type, so this is a pretty significant gain for Sceptile.

Even when ice moves are use they're rarely on Ice types.
    Hopefully they'll give it a boost in it's defense to resist Ice Shard and speed to outspeed Protean Ice beam knowing Greninja.

Years
    Protean Greninja sounds like it'll be Mega Sceptiles main counter going into the ORAS metagame. If Sceptile gets boosted speed, a Choiced Grass move may be able to take the frog out. In any case, this makes Sceptile much more useful; I'm excited to see where he falls in the tiers based on his new Mega evolution. Just by looks, I assume they're going to raise Swampert's defenses.

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
    I could get used to the designs of Mega Sceptile and Mega Swampert. They look pretty much like I imagined they would look. Competitively speaking, Sceptile could be a super-fast assasin, but much like Ampharos it suffers from not being able to learn Draco meteor. Swampert, I'm not sure what's the point of Swift Swim. I wasn't one of the people who were going crazy over Sap Sipper, but I was at least expecting some ability that would match his bulky attacker look, like Water Absorb, or Mold Breaker.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Swampert, I'm not sure what's the point of Swift Swim. I wasn't one of the people who were going crazy over Sap Sipper, but I was at least expecting some ability that would match his bulky attacker look, like Water Absorb, or Mold Breaker.

This.
    I always joked about Sap Sipper because that would be lol. Just lol.

But Huge Power or something else...something that goes along with its strength that the PokéDex always talks about would have made sense.

I just don't think any of the Hoenn starters' Hidden Abilities make sense, to be honest. It doesn't make sense for a chicken to get Speed Boost, I can't see why Mega Sceptile has Lightningrod, and I have no clue how the tanky Mega Swampert gets Swift Swim with its stubby little legfeet.

And with the nerf on weather and Swampert's low Speed to begin with, I'm honestly not too sure how good Swift Swim will even serve as an Ability, and that's the thing that makes me the saddest of all.

Years
    This.
    I always joked about Sap Sipper because that would be lol. Just lol.

But Huge Power or something else...something that goes along with its strength that the PokéDex always talks about would have made sense.

I just don't think any of the Hoenn starters' Hidden Abilities make sense, to be honest. It doesn't make sense for a chicken to get Speed Boost, I can't see why Mega Sceptile has Lightningrod, and I have no clue how the tanky Mega Swampert gets Swift Swim with its stubby little legfeet.

And with the nerf on weather and Swampert's low Speed to begin with, I'm honestly not too sure how good Swift Swim will even serve as an Ability, and that's the thing that makes me the saddest of all.

MegaSwampert's Swift Swim is explained in it's dex entry saying it's as fast as a Ski Boat.
    MegaSceptile's Lightning Rod is explained in the belief that some dinosaurs had lightning rod like tails (even though it's suppose to be a Geeko and not a Dinosaur).

Also note that the starters Hidden abilities for Swampert and Sceptile aren't the same as their Mega's abilities seeing how Swampert's hidden ability is Damp and Sceptile's is unburden.

Years
    Swift Swim is a let down. With its Mega evolution, Swampert could've possibly made a comeback in OU with slightly buffed defensive stats and a useful ability. Unfortunately for him, he's a little late to the Swift Swim party. Not that I didn't want weather to be nerfed, but Swampert loses even more credibility now. And I mean, it's design is just... Yikes.

Years
    Swift Swim is a let down. With its Mega evolution, Swampert could've possibly made a comeback in OU with slightly buffed defensive stats and a useful ability. Unfortunately for him, he's a little late to the Swift Swim party. Not that I didn't want weather to be nerfed, but Swampert loses even more credibility now. And I mean, it's design is just... Yikes.

Actually it'll be useful if paired up with a Damp Rock holding Politoad with the ability Drizzle. I imagine it'll battle like a Lightning Bruiser in the rain.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    MegaSwampert's Swift Swim is explained in it's dex entry saying it's as fast as a Ski Boat.
    MegaSceptile's Lightning Rod is explained in the belief that some dinosaurs had lightning rod like tails (even though it's suppose to be a Geeko and not a Dinosaur).

Also note that the starters Hidden abilities for Swampert and Sceptile aren't the same as their Mega's abilities seeing how Swampert's hidden ability is Damp and Sceptile's is unburden.
    True, but most of its entries mention its outstanding strength. Also, with those little legs of his, I doubt he could maintain the same speed as a regular Swampert (with, what, base 60 speed?).

I also realized that with such a tree-like tail, Lightningrod makes a bit more sense on Sceptile, since lightning strikes trees.

Yeah, their regular Hiddens aren't the same as their Mega Abilities, which I'm glad for...but I'd still say they don't make too much sense, at least to me.

Essentially. I was really hoping Swampert could be more usable in OU with its Mega Evolution.

I'm also worried that with the tankier design, Swampert might actually lose Speed when it Mega Evolves, similar to Mega Garchomp, which seems to make Swift Swim an even more disappointing choice in Ability, at least from what I can gather.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Not too thrilled with more megas appearing. Means now you pretty much have to use ORAS for competitions.

Don't have any particular feelings for swampert or sceptile. Both get my favorite types. First Grass/Dragon combo too. I'm just underwhelmed so far.

Years
    I think that Mega Swampert will be like Slaking, who looks slow due to it's bulk but is actually quite fast.

For Swampert's case, we better hope so. It certainly doesn't need to be any slower, haha. I remember it being such a useful asset in the fourth generation metagame, and it saddens me that they didn't do much to Mega Swampert that helps bring it back to that level of effectiveness. I'm not a competitive battling professional by any means though, so I could be overlooking something! o:

Years
    For Swampert's case, we better hope so. It certainly doesn't need to be any slower, haha. I remember it being such a useful asset in the fourth generation metagame, and it saddens me that they didn't do much to Mega Swampert that helps bring it back to that level of effectiveness. I'm not a competitive battling professional by any means though, so I could be overlooking something! o:

It's round body could actually hint at it becoming faster as vehicles that are round tend to be faster than sharp edged vehicles. Look up the Rain Drop car for an example of a round shape car.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Yaaay, I'm so happy the other starters got Megas! <3

I think it is kind of funny how Diancie gets a Mega Evo, and by the time ORAS comes around in November it's very likely that US hasn't even seen the movie yet. We technically shouldn't even know if its existence, since iirc it hasn't been officially announced by US Nintendo.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Yaaay, I'm so happy the other starters got Megas! <3

I think it is kind of funny how Diancie gets a Mega Evo, and by the time ORAS comes around in November it's very likely that US hasn't even seen the movie yet. We technically shouldn't even know if its existence, since iirc it hasn't been officially announced by US Nintendo.

The North American site did reveal Diancie a while back, and actually accidentally revealed an image of its shiny. But it does seem weird that Diancie is getting a Mega Evolution in ORAS and not XY. Perhaps they just want a legendary to distribute around its release to get people hyped to buy the game early, similar to the Draco Meteor Jirachi of Platinum/HGSS and the Victini of BW.

Jakeremix

Poképro~
    Years
    The North American site did reveal Diancie a while back, and actually accidentally revealed an image of its shiny. But it does seem weird that Diancie is getting a Mega Evolution in ORAS and not XY. Perhaps they just want a legendary to distribute around its release to get people hyped to buy the game early, similar to the Draco Meteor Jirachi of Platinum/HGSS and the Victini of BW.

If the only way to get Diancie is through a distribution, then she won't be exclusive to OR/AS.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    If the only way to get Diancie is through a distribution, then she won't be exclusive to OR/AS.

What I mean is, the Mega Stone and Mega Evolution of Diancie is not in the code of XY. Unless Game Freak releases a patch, Mega Diancie will be exclusive to ORAS.

Jakeremix

Poképro~
    Years
    What I mean is, the Mega Stone and Mega Evolution of Diancie is not in the code of XY. Unless Game Freak releases a patch, Mega Diancie will be exclusive to ORAS.

Why would there not be a patch? :P This isn't a new generation.

Though if there isn't I'll be a little pissed...

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    It could be in XY and we didn't know it. Didn't they just release a new Pokeball Vivillon? I don't recall that being discovered earlier than its announcement.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back