• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mega Gengar Doubles Team

DialDial

Aneksuz
Years
  • Hello! I would like to make a doubles team using Mega Gengar as a core. But I'm unsure what Pokémon to use to support it.

This is the Gengar that I had in mind

Gengar:

Item: Gengarite

Ability: Levitate

Nature: Timid

EVs: HP: 4, SpA: 252, Spe: 252

Moves:
    Dazzling Gleam
    Destiny Bond
    Shadow Ball
    Focus Blast

Please give me tips on how I can improve this build aswell!

Thanks Alot!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • In doubles environments, Protect is a necessity. It does things like stalling out field moves (Trick Room, Rain Dance, etc.), giving a partner time to take out a counter or punishing double-targeting. Gengar should be using:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Bomb/Substitute
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Protect
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe

or
    -Shadow Ball
    -Perish Song
    -Disable/Will-o-Wisp
    -Protect
    EVs: 224 HP/252 Def/32 Spe

Fighting Pokemon are best used with Gengar, since Gengar can dispatch Psychic and Fairy Pokemon easily:

Conkeldurr:
    -Drain Punch
    -Mach Punch
    -Knock Off
    -Ice Punch
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 108 HP/152 Atk/104 Def/144 SDef
    Item: Assault Vest
    Ability: Guts/Iron Fist

Hitmontop:
    -Fake Out
    -Close Combat
    -Sucker Punch/Stone Edge/Quick Guard
    -Protect/Quick Guard/Wide Guard
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
    Item: Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Intimidate

Scrafty:
    -Fake Out
    -Knock Off
    -Drain Punch
    -Stone Edge/Ice Punch/Detect/Quick Guard
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 240 HP/244 Atk/44 Def
    Item: Assault Vest/Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Intimidate

Togekiss or Amoonguss can provide Follow Me or Rage Powder support respectively so that Gengar won't have to take a potentially fatal attack:

Togekiss:
    -Follow Me
    -Air Slash
    -Tailwind/Thunder Wave
    -Roost/Protect/Helping Hand
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/192 Def/68 SDef
    Item: Sitrus Berry/Safety Goggles
    Ability: Serene Grace

Amoonguss:
    -Giga Drain
    -Rage Powder
    -Spore
    -Protect
    Nature: Sassy
    EVs: 252 HP/184 Def/72 SDef
    Item: Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Regenerator

DialDial

Aneksuz
    Years
  • Thanks! You Really gave me a good amout of Options! But what Switch-in options do I have for Gengar. Any walls that can switch in on Gengars weaknesses?

Would the likes of Umbreon, SpD Aegslash, Malamar, Meowstic and Ferrothron work? (Just to name a few)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Thanks! You Really gave me a good amout of Options! But what Switch-in options do I have for Gengar. Any walls that can switch in on Gengars weaknesses?

Would the likes of Umbreon, SpD Aegslash, Malamar, Meowstic and Ferrothron work? (Just to name a few)

Aegislash stacks weaknesses with Gengar, sadly; it shares the Dark, Ghost (and Ground when Gengar is Mega) weaknesses. Meowstic is also weak to Dark, while Ferrothorn no longer resists Dark and Ghost. Malamar also lacks resistances whatsoever.

Bisharp and Darkrai are decent teammates for Gengar, as they resist Dark and Ghost, though the former shares a Ground weakness (again, when Gengar is Mega:

Bisharp:
    -Sucker Punch
    -Iron Head
    -Knock Off
    -Protect
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Dread Plate/Black Glasses/Focus Sash
    Ability: Defiant

Darkrai:
    -Dark Pulse
    -Focus Blast
    -Ice Beam/Sludge Bomb/Taunt/Will-o-Wisp
    -Protect
    EVs: 100 HP/252 SAtk/156 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

DialDial

Aneksuz
    Years
  • Bisharp sounds pretty cool! Thanks alot man this has helped me alot but I have one last question. How do you suggest I lead this team? To set it up and then let it shine.

I was thinking a Dark Void Smeargle would be cool, but that kinda boring in my opinion.
    Or Maybe just start with Gengar and an Amoonguss and use Rage Powder and try sweeping.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • Awh don't do dark void smeargle mate; that's such a noob toob of pokemon hahah. Besides that, it's sort of a one trick pony where if you do this in things like battle spot, (are you doing battle spot or showdown? not sure if it was mentioned above) or even on showdown too really, people in a doubles setting will probablyyyy... 99 percent of the time know your smeargle is going to use dark void. And all it takes after that is a fake out and any other move to focus on it, or magic bounce switch in, or prankster taunt, or mach punch if you're not sashed, but eh. You get the point.

Togekiss was a really good suggestion to work with Mega Gengar. It can redirect sucker punches, paralyze faster things, and cover some offensive weaknesses for gengar as well.

Protect is a reeeally great idea on gengar too hahah.

DialDial

Aneksuz
    Years
  • I'm going to play on Battlespot. Maybe some Showdown. Yeah, Dark Void Smeargle just seems like a boring CookieCutter Strategy.

Indeed the Togekiss idea seems very good. I think I'll go with that, but I REALLY Like using underrated Pokémon such as Hitmontop. But Maybe I can run both?

Maybe I'll do a Gengar and Togekiss Lead? with a Hitmontop to block some moves if necessary and a ofc the Bisharp to block Gengars Weaknesses. :)

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • Playing on battle spot and like underrated pokemon you say?
    Spoiler:

Togekiss is great yes. If you want another alternative though, look into both Mandibuzz and Honchkrow. They have the most perfect possible counterpart typing to mega gengar; resisting Dark and Ghost and being immune to both Ground and Psychic. Either one is a smashing switch in should you know a super effective hit is coming, and both have their roles on a team as well. Obviously Honchkrow is offensive while Mandibuzz is more defensive. But Mandibuzz in particular is a great counterpart to mega gengar and can provide a lot of support for it.

Mandibuzz has Tailwind for doubles, and Honchkrow has a very strong STAB sucker punch; also a boon in dubs gameplay yo.

DialDial

Aneksuz
    Years
  • Underrated Pokémon are awesome. <3 Dunsparce <3

Pimpkrow is cool and I like that Mandibuzz has Defog aswell as being defensive.

I think Mandibuzz would fit pretty good onto this team.
    Because if I go with Gengar, Togekiss, Hitmontop and Bisharp I have 3 Offensive Pokes and 1 Defensive. So to balance it out I'll pick Mandibuzz, even tho I like Pimpkrow. :P

But if I add one of them. The last Pokémon needs to be a ground Pokemon to block the electric Weakness that both Togekiss and Mandibuzz/Honchkrow has. Lightning Rod
    pokes works even better because it blocks all electric attacks.

Last edited:
    Back