• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Metal & Color Generation Help Thread

Best secondary Pokemon Growlithe, Abra, or Machop?

• Growlithe

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Abra

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Machop

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
well it doesnt hold the save anymore, it lost it lol. but yes all games work on it except crystal. and maybe it doesnt register it but neither does the gba so idk. someones x version isnt recognized on their 3ds so idk.

So to make sure I have this straight, after you switched the battery on Crystal, it worked briefly in your GBA after you changed the battery, but then stopped working in both of your gameboys. At that point, it still saved and worked fine in Stadium 2. Sometime after that, it stopped saving, right? Does it still play in Stadium 2, but just not save anymore? Also, when the game stopped working on your gameboy, how much progress had you made on it/what had you done so far?

I think you may have a couple of issues. First, there seems to be a problem with your battery. If the game won't save anymore, and you just changed the battery, it suggests that either (a) the new battery is defective or (b) perhaps it came loose. You could open up the cartridge and take a look. If the gameboy problems happened before your game stopped saving, and/or the game still plays fine on Stadium 2 (the save just won't hold), then it sounds like there's another problem with the game besides the battery. These games do seem to stop working at a certain point (I've had it happen with a copy of Blue, and I've seen accounts of the same problems I've had with other people's Blue versions), but if the game can be played perfectly fine under certain circumstances, it sounds like it's a connection problem of some sort. I don't know if there's any difference in the way that the transfer pack reads data as opposed to how the GBC/GBA does it, but I don't know of one offhand. If there is a difference, that could be part of your issue.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Weird question, but what kind of tape did you use to keep your battery in place? Or what did you use in general? For example, I bought a French Silver this year with a new battery, but the person that replaced it used scotch tape, so it wouldn't hold a save because the battery kept coming loose. I got a friend of mine to open it up and change the tape to black electric tape, which will keep it in place much better. I haven't had a problem with it since he changed the tape. Even something as simple as that will help.

As for connection issues with your systems, I wouldn't know anything about that. I thought I'd at least offer advice on what I do know. Hope you get everything sorted out, cause I totally understand how frustrating a dead battery can be.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
So to make sure I have this straight, after you switched the battery on Crystal, it worked briefly in your GBA after you changed the battery, but then stopped working in both of your gameboys. At that point, it still saved and worked fine in Stadium 2. Sometime after that, it stopped saving, right? Does it still play in Stadium 2, but just not save anymore? Also, when the game stopped working on your gameboy, how much progress had you made on it/what had you done so far?

I think you may have a couple of issues. First, there seems to be a problem with your battery. If the game won't save anymore, and you just changed the battery, it suggests that either (a) the new battery is defective or (b) perhaps it came loose. You could open up the cartridge and take a look. If the gameboy problems happened before your game stopped saving, and/or the game still plays fine on Stadium 2 (the save just won't hold), then it sounds like there's another problem with the game besides the battery. These games do seem to stop working at a certain point (I've had it happen with a copy of Blue, and I've seen accounts of the same problems I've had with other people's Blue versions), but if the game can be played perfectly fine under certain circumstances, it sounds like it's a connection problem of some sort. I don't know if there's any difference in the way that the transfer pack reads data as opposed to how the GBC/GBA does it, but I don't know of one offhand. If there is a difference, that could be part of your issue.

yup everything you said is correct. maybe just something wrong with the cartridge itselft and not the gameboys. the gamepak barely works anyways. like sometimes i have to turn off the n64 take out the transfer pak and put it back in and turn the n64 on again multiple times. and it didnt start not keeping the save before it stopped working on my gameboy. i got back from my grandmas one night and i turned it on and it stopped working. the nintendo logo would mess up and it wouldnt go past the white screen. and then it worked and then my save was gone. and i also opened up the cartridge and i noticed it was corroded on the game card. so i got some vinegar and wiped some of it off. that helped a little bit but then it stopped working again. i dont understand what happened to it.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 2, 2020
Im sorry if its been explained already, but Im playing my old Yellow, Red, and Gold games and I want to understand how dvs and evs work in those games.
I try to look it up but I still dont understand. Any calculators that could help would be appreciated.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
Im sorry if its been explained already, but Im playing my old Yellow, Red, and Gold games and I want to understand how dvs and evs work in those games.
I try to look it up but I still dont understand. Any calculators that could help would be appreciated.

I'll PM you because it's way too long to understand.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 2, 2020
Thanks. I think I will stick to iv and ev training in X and Y. I guess that means I shouldn't bother dv training the Chikorita and Togepi I have, and I would like to stat ev train them but it sounds to complicated.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 7, 2019
about tyrouge at crystal

hello guys i have tyrogue lvl 5 and he always change him self to Hitmontop and i except for Hitmonlee what can i do about it ? i tried twice

UltraWing

teleporting shiny staraviva
Years
try using stat changing items since tyrogue's evolution is based of of its stats
here is how it works
attack > defense = hitmonlee
attack < defense = hitmonchan
attack = defense = hitmontop

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 7, 2019
try using stat changing items since tyrogue's evolution is based of of its stats
here is how it works
attack > defense = hitmonlee
attack < defense = hitmonchan
attack = defense = hitmontop
ok where i can find electric rock for change my eevee to his electric shape?

UltraWing

Years
you mean the "Thunder Stone"

Lass Dana (go left from Ekruteak, towards Olivine City) sometimes gives a thunder stone. if you talk to her after beating her then she will give you her pokegear number then she may call you and gives you a thunder stone

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 7, 2019
you mean the "Thunder Stone"

Lass Dana (go left from Ekruteak, towards Olivine City) sometimes gives a thunder stone. if you talk to her after beating her then she will give you her pokegear number then she may call you and gives you a thunder stone
ohh she is with blue hair ? if she do i gave her my number should i wait now ?
and what about the fire and water rock?

Last edited:

UltraWing

Years
i dont know where the water stone is but the fire stone is given by Alan the School boy, who will call you to give you fire stone.
He is situated at route 36, the second trainer you will encounter if you exited National Park. he can give you a fire stone *note choose wisely on what tone you want to use you cant change eevee's form after using a stone*
oh and i dont know where he is talk to every trainer at that area if you have already battled her

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 7, 2019
i dont know where the water stone is but the fire stone is given by Alan the School boy, who will call you to give you fire stone.
He is situated at route 36, the second trainer you will encounter if you exited National Park. he can give you a fire stone *note choose wisely on what tone you want to use you cant change eevee's form after using a stone*
oh and i dont know where he is talk to every trainer at that area if you have already battled her
i did it already :O she called me for battle and i recive nothing ..

UltraWing

Years
you dont recive at all the time it is based on luck another way you can get the fire/water/thunder/leaf stones if from a guy in kanto but kanto is the post game

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
i did it already :O she called me for battle and i recive nothing ..

Are you playing Crystal, or Gold/Silver? I didn't see you mention it in a previous post, but you can only get the stones via phone calls from Crystal (though as another poster said, it's not a sure thing--just keep trying). In G/S, I don't think the trainers in question will give you items, so you'll need to get stones from Bill's relative (grandfather?) on Route 25 in Kanto. You can do that by showing him Pokemon he asks for, and it'll get you one of each stone. Depending on whether you're playing cartridge vs. emulator, have multiple games and systems, etc., your best best is to send the relevant Pokemon to RBY, buy the stones at the Celadon Department Store, evolve your Pokemon, and trade them back to GSC, since all of the Pokemon that evolve by leaf/thunder/fire/water stone in GSC are RBY Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Thanks. I think I will stick to iv and ev training in X and Y. I guess that means I shouldn't bother dv training the Chikorita and Togepi I have, and I would like to stat ev train them but it sounds to complicated.

I don't know what the other user said to you via PM, but you don't really need to actively "EV train" in the earlier games. Just play normally, and you'll end up eventually maxing out your stat experience for every stat, giving you the maximum stats that your DVs (i.e., IVs) allow. Every Pokemon can achieve its full DV-determined potential in GSC, so you don't need to focus on offensive stats for sweepers at the expense of defensive ones or vice versa. You can try to get the best DVs possible on your Pokemon (like getting high IVs), but I'll agree that it's probably not really worth it in GSC at this point.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I'm playing Crystal on my phone and I have 5 badges, got 3 Pokemon and I can't find any good ones to use (haven't played Crystal in ages).
I got Quilava lvl 30, Poliwhirl lvl 29, and Pidgeotto lvl 30
When Quilava evolves I'm teaching it Thunderpunch and I'm thinking about teaching Poliwhirl Ice Punch (I think Ice moves are physical in gen II for Poliwrath).

Any ideas for Pokemon I should pick up?

Update: I went through with playing the game and picked up Donphan, Eevee from Bill (I'm gonna evolve it into Umbreon), and Dratini from the Dragons Den. Any better recommendations?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 2, 2020
Bought a used Pokemon Silver game, but It wont save and says save is corrupted. Will replacing the battery fix this or I need another copy? Thanks.

Dereck_S

Veteran
Years
You should try to replace the battery first, they're only a couple of bucks. My assumption is that if the save file is corrupt due to some sort of glitch exploit, removing the original battery will wipe the save clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back