• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Missingno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eco-Mono

LWH Director
Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2009
    Hurrah for Missingno.! (see sig)

Such an awesome monster. And contrary to popular opinion, it's totally stable once it's been caught. Just minor graphics glitching, which can be negated by checking a normal monster's stat page. Some of the higher-order glitches on the other hand have been known to do bad, bad things whether caught or not.

HoundJolter

Insane Asylum
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 14, 2004
    I thought that you only had to talk to the man and say your in a hurry and then fly to cinnabar island and surf up the right coast to get missingno. It works for me. I don't have to watch the old man catch a weedle.

emeraldslay

Obsessed with Mew/writing
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Aug 3, 2008
    From the cheat, I once caught a team of level 251 snorlaxes, they were awesome!

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2004
    missingno04.gif

missingno05.gif

missingno07.gif

missingno13.png

And the fact that it was the only "Bird" type in the game makes it twice as confusing

Shinin

Banned
    Years
  • flying type was originally going to be called bird type
    missingno is there because pidgey, pidgeotto & pidgeot were originally going to be water/bird (flying) type, kind of like wingull/pelipper. But then they replaced them before they changed bird into flying.

and missingno isn't in yellow because it came out after R/B and they didnt have to put the R/B stuff that was blocked with a block chip there.

Eco-Mono

LWH Director
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2009
    Shinin4000 said:
    flying type was originally going to be called bird type
    missingno is there because pidgey, pidgeotto & pidgeot were originally going to be water/bird (flying) type, kind of like wingull/pelipper. But then they replaced them before they changed bird into flying.

and missingno isn't in yellow because it came out after R/B and they didnt have to put the R/B stuff that was blocked with a block chip there.
    I find that story highly unlikely. I've seen the Pok?mon statistic blocks. True, "Bird" type is probably a throwback to before they called it "Flying". But Missingno. doesn't appear as any kind of stable form in the Japanese editions. Therefore it could not be a legacy of Pokemon design; Missingno would not be there at all until after all 151 were set in stone.

Aj1

Virgin Killer
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jun 25, 2005
    Does missiongo really crash your game???

Years
  • Eco-Mono said:
    Hurrah for Missingno.! (see sig)

Such an awesome monster. And contrary to popular opinion, it's totally stable once it's been caught. Just minor graphics glitching, which can be negated by checking a normal monster's stat page. Some of the higher-order glitches on the other hand have been known to do bad, bad things whether caught or not.

Totally awesome! At least the other three missingnos, the Ghost, Kabutops skeleton, and the Aerodactyl skeleton have powers no other Pokemon possess! (The 'M/GlitchBlock missingno is just a regular Bird/normal type and does NOT share these characteristics.)

My website said:
    These MissingNOs (Ghost, Kabutops-Skeleton, Aerodactyl-Skeleton) have strange abilities. I'll list every one of them I know, and how to get it in each version (Red/Blue and Yellow)

These Pokemons' known abilities (note: "Fuzz" refers to the backwards L shape MissingNO) (and you thought abilities weren't existent until R/S!) are:

Imagine a variable that is filled with a Pokemon (its type and attacks.) This is the variable that the attacks and type of the Ghost/Skeleton MissingNOs are derived from. This variable is overwritten by:

The last Pokemon that made a move in a battle. For example, if your Mewtwo made the last move in a battle, then the next Ghost/Skeleton MissingNO would have Mewtwo's starting moves.

The last Pokemon in your party. For example, if you replaced your last Pokemon with Rhydon, then the next Ghost/Skeleton MissingNO would have Rhydon's starting moves.

The last Pokemon you've seen in the Hall of Fame. For example, when the last Pokemon I saw in the HoF was a glitched Vulpix, the next G/S (Ghost/Skeleton) MissingNO had Ember and Tail Whip, like Vulpix (You can get randomized Pokemon from MissingNO encounters in Hall of Fame. Experiment!).

(continued) This variable is overwritten every time one of the above happens. Basically, if the G/S MissingNO is caught, the variable is once again overwritten with your Pokemon, meaning the starting attacks will be of the Pokemon you used in the battle, not the Pokemon the variable last had. To get around this use a G/S MissingNO at the front of your party (or the Pokemon whose moves you want to duplicate (Ditto and Mew would be good choices))

While in your party, the type of the G/S MissingNOs all correspond to the type of the last Pokemon in your party.

Its level and Stats change every time it gets enough experience points. For example, it may be at Level 100, then drop down to Level 83, then rise up to Level 91, etc. Also, its Stats will change every time the level changes, so at one moment Speed & Special may be the highest, but then a level change and wham, its Attack and Defense are higher.

Here are the ways to get this Pokemon:

(RB Only): Start over, using the letters "w" (lowercase, for Kabutops skeleton,) "x" (lowercase, for Aerodactyl skeleton,) or "y" (lowercase, for Ghost) in the 3rd, 5th, and 7th spaces in your name. For example: : the name "Billy" (note: the 3rd and 5th letters are underlined) will get you a ghost MissingNO. The name "Glitchy" will also get you a ghost MissingNO. Then, talk to the old man in Viridian, and fly to Cinnibar. You will find MissingNOs corresponding to the name you entered. Note: calling yourself "Zowayix" will get you all types of MissingNOs. "Vox" gets you an Aerodactyl fossil.

(RBY): Follow the steps necessary to capture PkMn, .4, A, pPkMnp, or X - x, only use a Pokemon with a Special of 182 (for Kabutops skeleton), 183 (for Aerodactyl skeleton), or 184 (for Ghost). This MissingNO, unlike the regular Yellow Version MissingNO, is safe to battle and capture.

Last edited by the professor: Tuesday, April 20, 2004

If you're wondering what is a PkMn or .4, it's on my site (which is in my sig.)

Years
  • Missingno and related glitches

MISSINGNO BIRD/NORMAL 000 RED&BLUE&YELLOW
    'M BIRD/NORMAL 000 RED&BLUE
    PKMN NORMAL/NORMAL 250 RED&BLUE
    .4 POKEMANIAC 234 RED&BLUE
    3TRAINERPOKE ? 176 YELLOW
    X - x 203 YELLOW
    PPKMNP ? 230 YELLOW

Code for 3TRAINERPOKE is 0100D7CF in YELLOW. To obtain the rest, check my site (below.)

MissingChu

aka d3ad connection
    Years
  • Hey i got 3TrainerPoke! I got him using the Capture any trainer pokemon code outside of battle. Hes one of my favorites(see my user profiles under favorite pokemon)

But, it was on Blue version.

AJHalliwell

Forrest Green Gym- Person
    Years
  • Hm, I found what I think is the most likely story on Wikipedia I think it was, (it wasn't a fan site)
    The developers of the Beta Version needed a way to te- Wait a minute, I'll just copy and paste it. ::laughs:: Sorry, I'm a bit off today!

Missingno. was a deliberate glitch added by the programmers of the game to aid them in testing. It allowed them to progress quickly by giving them access to many items straight away. It appears that the beta version of the game had land paths to Cinnabar Island that were removed in the final version - this would be the area where Missingno. is usually caught (see "Details" for directions on how to find it.) The Box Trick would appear to be for the same reason.

For this information, and more go to:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missingno

Other comments of mine: The Water-Pidgy sounds so fake. Also, I've heard of missingno. put a few glitchs (visually) in the game. But of the people I know with the game, i've never known it to actually ERASE the game. It's my belief this is a rumor, but It may be true!

MissingChu

aka d3ad connection
    Years
  • also if you want to see the pictures still:
    glitch1.png

glitch2.png

glitch3.png

glitch4.png

glitch5.png

glitch6.png

glitch7.png

glitch8.png

glitch9.png

I also caught it on yellow in saffaron city using the steal trainer pokemon code.

EDIT: i just realized i double posted!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back