• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Modified vs. Unlimitied

Omega94

Experienced Swimmer
    Years
    I am collecting old cards from the Neo era and realized that they offer both an unlimited (cheaper) booster box and non-unlimited booster box (more expensive). Since I don't play the TCG and just collect, I want to know if there is a VISUAL difference between unlimited and modified format cards???

Also, what makes the unlimited cards cheaper?

Thanks.

Years
    I am collecting old cards from the Neo era and realized that they offer both an unlimited (cheaper) booster box and non-unlimited booster box (more expensive). Since I don't play the TCG and just collect, I want to know if there is a VISUAL difference between unlimited and modified format cards???

Also, what makes the unlimited cards cheaper?

Thanks.

There is a difference in appearance. Non-unlimited (more commonly known as First Edition) cards have a little 1 in a circle below the bottom right corner of the picture on them to indicate that they are "First Edition" printings of the cards, and are therefore harder to come by. Some cards only had first edition printings, such as Base Set Machamp.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Also, you're confusing the "unlimited"/"1st edition" print run of cards with the "unlimited"/"modified" tournament styles of the actual game. 1st edition cards are not called modified; modified is the term used for cards that are playable within a game format, while unlimited refers to tournaments where any cards may be used.

You would be concerned with the unlimited cards which refer to cards that are not 1st edition stamped. The stamp in 1st edition cards makes them more valuable, as there are always smaller amounts printed of these. They then switch to unlimited, which are regular unstamped cards and are printed in larger quantities.

The only visual difference in 1st edition vs. unlimited cards involve the Base set, where some 1st edition cards were printed as "shadowless" versions, which have a few different features than other cards. You won't find this in the Neo sets.

Back