• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mono dragon help?

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    Okay mono dragon team, for wifi-battles, will take a bash at ranked but doesn't need to be perfect, just decent.

I'm fairly confident about the team, my main concern is coverage as I'll explain, so I'll do each mon with a description underneath and a final sum up after...

1) Altaria "Conflicted" @ Altarianite
    Ability: Natural cure
    Nature: Adamant
    EV's: 64HP, 192 Att, 252 Speed

Moves:
    Return
    EQ
    Dragon Dance
    Roost

This seems a pretty standard set and from me using it so far seems very effective, the bonus is a lot of folks seem to assume (unusually in my view) the mega is going to be salamence and thus treat it as if it's typing isn't going to shift, no real comments on this otherwise.

2) Dragalge "Trinity" @ choice specs
    Ability: Adaptability
    Nature: Modest
    EV's: 200hp, 252 spA, 56 Speed

Moves:
    Draco Meteor
    Sludge Wave
    Focus Blast
    Hidden power fire

Again standard nuke. Not sure if the 30% poison from bomb is best or the 5 higher base power? I'm assuming wave as this thing is, for the most part, more bothered about scoring OHKO/2HKO's on everything.

3) Salamence "Hotshot" @ Life orb
    Ability: Moxie
    Nature:Jolly
    EV's: 252 att, 252 speed, 4 hp

Moves:
    Outrage
    Dragon claw
    EQ
    Fire blast

Probably something horribly wrong with this as it's one I came up with totally myself without consulting smogon and the like. So the idea is for this to come in on something ideally already damaged so it can score a KO, then proceed to sweep with the moxie boost(s). Speed investment and nature is to try and get it going first, so sort of a revenge killer in a way, but the idea is to get that kill and sweep.

4) Hydreigon "Requital" @ Choice scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    EV's: 252 Sp.att, 252 Speed, 4 Att

Moves:

Draco meteor
    Dark pulse
    Flash cannon
    Earth power

Smacks what ever it can with its meteor (for the most part) and then switch out against what is often a fighting response or kingdra/goodra to take ice beams if they're not backed by STAB. Had a bit of 4MSS, wasn't sure on flash cannon or U-turn, went with the former for now...

5) Kingdra "Captious" @ Scope lens
    Ability: Sniper
    EV's: 64HP, 252 Sp. Att, 192 Speed

Moves:

Focus energy
    Draco meteor
    Hydro pump
    Hidden power fire

Standardcritdra, albeit should I run Hydro pump or surf/scald? I have had a few frustrating hydro misses...but then base power difference significant, of course generally it'll be using meteor.

6) Goodra "Voluminous" @ Assault vest
    Ability: Sap sipper
    EV's: 240 HP, 252 Sp. att, 16 speed

Dragon pulse
    Fire blast
    Sludge bomb
    Muddy water

Went with Pulse over meteor as if its ends up tanking a special attacker later on would rather let it use stab without suffering stat drop.

Now I suppose my main concern is whether or not I need to alter the coverage options? A lot have run fire blast/hp fire, now it often has important uses for steels, but it does mean there are multiple types which I lack the coverage for, particularly thinking flying, no t-bolt or ice beam. Could stick ice beam on critdra over hp fire, and simply switch if needed, or could stick bolt or beam on Goodra/Hydreigon?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    The simple 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe spread is better for Mega Altaria; it could use the extra power.

The introduction of Fairies hurt Salamence a lot. It's essentially forced to run the inaccurate Iron Tail to deal with them and even then, Fairies easily dispose of it. Even then, Dragonite does everything Salamence can do better:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake/Fire Punch
    -Extreme Speed
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Lum Berry
    Ability: Multiscale

or
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake/Superpower
    -Extreme Speed
    -Dragon Claw/Fire Punch
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Band

or
    -Dragon Claw
    -Fire Punch/Superpower
    -Extreme Speed
    -Roost
    EVs: 216 HP/64 Atk/228 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

Garchomp also doesn't have much of a problem with Fairies outside of Togekiss because of its STAB Earthquake:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Blast/Swords Dance
    Nature: Naive/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Lum Berry/Focus Sash/Rocky Helmet

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Fang/Stone Edge
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

or
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Dragon Claw/Dual Chop/Fire Blast
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    I dislike Dragonites look (yet Altaria passes, go figure lol), that said I see your point. I understand more how Garchomp could hit them with the strong EQ, but Dragonite wise is the idea to get a DD, tank the fairy hit with multiscale, then ko back with EQ?

Just wondering would a Choice band or life orb Haxorus be feasible? Jolly nature speed/att investment. Has Poison jab for fairies KO's, outrage for most other stuff, EQ and Superpower?

Last edited:
    Back