• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monotype Challenge (Ver. 2.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 31, 2010
    Got another badge, and did some other stuff.

-Proceeded to surf down route 40. Lots of trainers here, and the wild pokemon are at a pretty decent level, so I got some really good exp.
    -Route 40 merged into route 41 and I battled more trainers and pokemon. Gained a few levels.
    -Arrived in Cianwood City.
    -Went north and spotted Suicune! It ran away, and this wierd man named Eusine came out of nowhere. I guess he was pissed that I found suicune first because he battled me. Pretty easy battle.
    -Went inside the gym and battled the trainers. Confronted Chuck

Gym Battle
    -Primeape was simply demolished by a Wing attack by Crobat.
    -Poliwrath was really annoying. It took 4 pokemon to take him down. Not even joking. I had to switch a lot due to hypnosis. After a while I took him down and got good exp for all 4 of those pokemon.

-Recieved the badge from chuck.
    -Went outside and was confronted by Chuck's wife, who gave me the Fly HM.
    -Pidgeot learned fly and I flew back to Olivine and gave Jasmine the secret potion. Jasmine returns to her gym.
    -Exited the lighthouse to get a call from Baoba, the Safari Zone was open, I flew back to Cianwood and headed to route 47/48.
    -Lots of good trainers here, good exp, headed to the safari zone.
    -Baoba challenged me to catch a geodude in the safari zone, easy job.
    -No more challanges, so I went to route 48 and started to train a bit in the grass. Jasmine awaits!

Current Party

Pidgeotto Lvl 30
    -Twister
    -Sand Attack
    -Fly
    -Quick Attack

Crobat Lvl 30
    -Wing Attack
    -Confuse Ray
    -Astonish
    -Bite

Gyarados Lvl 30
    -Splash(lol...)
    -Twister
    -Bite
    -Dragon Rage

Dratini Lvl 29
    -Slam
    -Thunder Wave
    -Twister
    -Dragon Rage

Yanma lvl 29
    -Shadow Ball
    -SuperSonic
    -Quick Attack
    -SonicBoom

Croconaw
    Hm Slave

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    ^Via cheating.

I'll sign the newest bug challenger up. Personally I love Beedrill, so I would have him on my bug team (if I were to pick Bug)

Little Brother

Little Brother...Big Heart <3
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    So that's a no huh? Damn...lemme consider the types then before i make a final choice

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2010
    Okay, since the first version didn't post, I guess I'll give the short version.

-Beat Whitney
    -Training for Morty.
    -Catching Magnemites to harvest 2 Metal Coats
    -Added Scyther (Eddy) and Magnemite (Neutron) to party.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I'll only allow cheating to get a type not available to you on an emulator.

i.e. Ice, fighting, dragon.

Years
  • So that's a no huh? Damn...lemme consider the types then before i make a final choice

I think using Pokesav is allowed for creation of the egg. (As mentioned above)

Anyway, here's update: I'm trying to finish this asap, but it seems like I'll have some problems.

Update #9:
    Spoiler:

- Grind, grind, grind.
    - Finally got my (almost) complete moveset!
    - Had quite some problems with Blue - but I'll rest for now.

Pipp
    Level 61 Docile Butterfree
    159/74/90/148/110/131
    Compoundeyes
    -
    Bug Buzz
    -
    Sleep Powder
    -
    Shadow Ball
    -
    Psychic

Fortress
    Level 60 Lonely Forretress
    176/161/172/94/92/63
    Sturdy
    -
    Bug Bite
    - Payback
    -
    Giga Drain
    -
    Gyro Ball

Razor
    Level 61 Relaxed Parasect
    166/172/128/94/123/48
    Dry Skin
    - Return
    -
    Giga Drain
    -
    X-Scissor
    -
    Spore

Rocker
    Level 63 Impish Armaldo
    226/207/162/91/119/70
    Battle Armor
    - Headbutt
    - Protect
    - Rock Blast
    - Metal Claw

Lightning
    Level 50 Hardy Ninjask
    132/129/65/56/58/199
    - Slash
    - Protect
    - Baton Pass
    - Swords Dance

Can someone suggest me moves for Rocker? :)

Little Brother

Little Brother...Big Heart <3
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    I'll only allow cheating to get a type not available to you on an emulator.

i.e. Ice, fighting, dragon.

AWESOME. Lol that's good. Put me up for Dragon then. ;D

Trainer Name: Kinn
    Type: Dragon
    Version: SS

Last edited:

Nohr

Long-time Trainer
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Nov 24, 2016
    Okay, so it's been a while since I've updated because I've been busy with work, and well, playing.

MY Ice-Challenge is going well, to say the least.

I destroyed Morty, without much trouble. Lapras handled him almost entirely by itself.

I then went over to olivine, tore through the lighthouse with relative ease, and grabbed a good rod in Olivine. I surfed over to Cianwood for the cure, and on my way there, I spent half an hour fishing for A shellder. I caught the first one I found, at level 20. I then proceeded to beat Chuck, fairly easily with Jynx's Psychic, despite ice's weakness to fighting. After getting fly, and sticking it to my HM slave of a hoot-hoot, I went back to goldenrod, to breed a shellder egg (since I'm very nitpicky about raising my pokemon from a very low level, or egg) When that finally hatched, I went back to Olivine, to cure Amphy and take on the Steel Gym. I was really worried about this one, but again, my Lapras managed to take the sonicbooms from the magnemite's, and then demolished Steelix with Surf.

I then went to Mahogany Town, and the lake of rage. After realizing I needed to deal with Team rocket, I did so, clearing them out using mostly my Glaceon and Jynx, all the while using my newly acquired Exp. Share to raise my Shellder. Then came Pryce, my first REAL challenge in a gym. Again, though, it was lapras to the rescue, with a combination of surf, confuse ray, and body slam. I then received the phone call regarding team rocket's take-over of the radio tower, and flew over there to dispatch them, with relative ease, until Archer's Houndoom. He almost demolished my entire team, but a Lucky critical hit from icicle spear from shellder saved the day.

Now I'm about to start my trek toward Blackthorn, and through the ice path, where I plan to catch a Delibird and a Swinub to round out my team. Though I'm unsure of how useful Delibird will be, and am wondering if I should just grab a Seel instead.

Anyway, that's my update, and here's my Current team:

Lapras, level 34

Jynx, Level 34

Glaceon, level 30

Shellder, level 25

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    @nohr: Seel was my "starter" ^.^

Dewgong can be beneficial to you but you already have your bases covered with Lapras (water/ice)

Kurumi

Lonely Knife Dancer ; ;
    Years
  • .EJ I completed everything but Red,stuck with team of 4x-6x lvl pokemon @_@ And Pikachu just roflvolts my pokemon @___@ Should I get Omastar instead of Corsola? I love Cereal so much,it helped me so many times @_@
    OHWAIT I DON'T NEED TO BEAT RED? @_@ Do I need to rematch the E4,or just completing it once,and completing every leader once counts?

Years
  • .EJ I completed everything but Red,stuck with team of 4x-6x lvl pokemon @_@ And Pikachu just roflvolts my pokemon @___@ Should I get Omastar instead of Corsola? I love Cereal so much,it helped me so many times @_@
    OHWAIT I DON'T NEED TO BEAT RED? @_@ Do I need to rematch the E4,or just completing it once,and completing every leader once counts?

I'm at the same phase as you -.- I think Omaster would be cool. Corsola is hard to use.

I am getting pawned by E4 remix so Red is completely out of the question for me. Grinding @ Mt. Silver.. Haha.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Nah you guys are done.

The rules were placed by the guy before me...I just enforce them nowadays. He set it up so that we finish our challenge once we beat Blue.

Years
  • Haha yay. I'll upload my pokemon stats later. Dotaing soon :D

And that was tough. Bug is seriously, not exactly a very good type to use. ><

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    We have a tradition and that is to immortalize a line from the champion.

What do you want to say man?

Kurumi

Lonely Knife Dancer ; ;
    Years
  • So mine will be:
    Read the rules carefully and look deep into Your Pokemon,sometimes they'll be able to defeat their weaknesses and be victorious.
    Should I post my team?

Years
  • Monotype Challenge (Ver. 2.0)

Pipp
    Level 64 Docile Butterfree
    166/77/94/155/115/138
    Compoundeyes
    Amulet Coin
    -
    Bug Buzz
    -
    Sleep Powder
    -
    Shadow Ball
    -
    Psychic

My main partner. She thrashed through almost everything with Sleep Powder, and coupled with decent special moves that it can learn (especially Bug Buzz), it could do some serious damage. If opponent wakes up, rinse and repeat. She was especially helpful in the Dragon gym and against Gyarados, one of the Pokemon that I have a LOT of problem against.

Fortress
    Level 62 Lonely Forretress
    181/166/179/97/95/65
    Sturdy
    Iron Ball
    -
    Bug Bite
    - Payback
    -
    Giga Drain
    -
    Gyro Ball (PP Up twice)

The defensive poke; I chose not to wait for Power Trick, and I think it wasn't too bad. Special mention to Payback, which helped me thrash through Psychic Pokemons with ease, and acts as a powerful Physical attack (since with Iron Ball, Fortress always goes last).

Razor
    Level 61 Relaxed Parasect
    166/172/128/94/123/48
    Dry Skin
    Miracle Seed
    - Return
    -
    Giga Drain
    -
    X-Scissor
    -
    Spore

My second Pokemon, which did not perform up to my expectation through my journey, I must say; 4x weakness to Flying and Fire (+ Dry Skin!) aside, it didn't have enough HP to tank through other attacks (60/80/80 at the defenses). That being said, it has MASSIVE attack and X-Scissor/Return ensures a 2HKO on almost anything that doesn't resist it. Too bad the type coverage is very little..

Rocker
    Level 65 Impish Armaldo
    233/213/167/94/122/72
    Battle Armor
    Muscle Band
    - Headbutt
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Blast
    - Metal Claw

I got it after National Dex; and it quickly became a monster. Despite being slow, it tanks through everything and has a higher attack than Razor to begin with. I would say Razor got outclassed by it in a lot of ways (save the 4x ground resistance Razor has). Rock Blast helped me through Lance's dragons a LOT.

Lightning
    Level 65 Hardy Ninjask
    169/166/83/71/73/257
    Speed Boost
    - X-Scissor
    - Protect
    - Baton Pass
    - Swords Dance

My last Pokemon, trained primarily to set up Swords Dance + Speed Boosts to Rocker to sweep. :) Definitely a fun moveset I've used.

Hmm..
    "Type coverage is very important; choose your moves wisely and don't hesitate to use TMs."

BTW, that was a fun experience. Definitely a huge challenge for me, and thanks EJ for hosting this. I might consider another type in the future. :)

I would love to see your team Kurumi but of course it's up to you :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2010
    Okay...few updates and a suggestion.

I absolutely love this team I'm putting together. I am however, gonna breed them with a Ditto, hope to get some Good IVs, Good Natures, etc. and EV train them.

In other news, I have beat Morty and in putting together final movesets, I'm struggling to come up with a few.

Empoleon
    ---------
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Flash Cannon
    ???

Lucario (SP. ATK is slightly higher than ATK)
    -------
    Aura Sphere
    Dragon Pulse
    Shadow Ball
    Psychic

Steelix
    -------
    Earthquake
    Screech (ATK is not extremely high, so i figured this might help)
    Stone Edge
    Crunch

Scizor
    ------
    X-Scissor
    Iron Head
    False Swipe
    ???

Magnezone
    -----------
    Thunderbolt
    Thunder Wave
    Signal Beam
    ???

Edit: Forgot my suggestion! Seeing as how people are playing to beat Red anyways, Why don't we add that to the challenge?

Kurumi

Lonely Knife Dancer ; ;
    Years
  • Monotype Challenge (Ver. 2.0)

Naughty Tyranitar "Sweepstake"

/w Sand Stream
    Level 63
    Moveset:
    Dark Pulse
    Stone Edge
    Thunderbolt
    Earthquake

Leveling Sweepstake was horrible. EV'd it a bit,but it was really hard... but once it evolved it was just killer.

Adamant Corsola "Cereal"
    /w Hustle
    Level 62
    Moveset:
    Surf
    Powder Gem
    Blizzard
    Stealth Rock
    Cereal helped me a lot on my journey. I caught it in Olivine,altough it was meant to me Special Sweeper,I didn't care so much. Till Surf HM it was decent,but still worth using. With Surf and Blizzard it was EXCELLENT Pokemon. Powder Gem was amazing vs Ice or Flying. Stealth Rock was added somewhere about Kanto,really useful!

Lonely Aerodactyl "Aerock"
    /w Rock Head
    Level 40
    Moveset:
    Fly
    Wing Attack
    Ancientpower
    Agility
    Excellent Speed and Attack,LOVE IT! Wasn't used in serious battles,because I bred it and leveled from level 1,but with amazing stats it could get enemies 20 lvls higher,but they needed to be weak against it. Not proud of moveset...

Naive Magcargo "Volcano"
    /w Flame Body
    Level 38
    Moveset:
    Amnesia
    Recover
    Lava Plume
    Ancientpower
    Moveset is not amazing again. I was raising it for Red,but I thought it would be really nice addition to my team,so here's Volcano!

Rash Lunatone "Moonray"
    /w Levitate
    Level 41
    Moveset:
    Dream Eater
    Hypnosis
    Cosmic Power
    Psychic
    I love this Pokemon and I dreamed about it from the very beginning. Though I needed to wait for it till mid-Kanto. I was planning to replace Cosmic Power with Calm Mind,making it GREAT sweeper.
    So that's it ^^ My end-game team :) The sixth slot was meant for Rhydon,but I need a HM slave in my team.
    I REALLY ENJOYED THE CHALLENGE! I think I'll start the Ghost one ^^
    I'd like to say thanks to Graveler,Onix,Sudoowodo and Shuckle for hanging with me for a while,You ROCKED guys! Get it? ROCKED!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back