• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monotype Challenge (Ver. 2.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiari Xero

Completely Original
Years
  • UGH. FINALLY FOUND DUNSPARCE. Phew. I think this playthrough will be similar to the last one, where almost my entire party was female, which is what it's starting to look like now. (Not that I have a problem with that, it's just a bit weird in my opinion.)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! RUN AWAY ABILITY. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-!

man i know that pain. Finding that 1% encounter rate pokemon, catching him, and finding out he DOESNT have the ability (or item if thats what your lookin for)

Makes you just want to bash your head in eh?

Btw small update:
    • Named self Tobias
    • Did the begining stuff (not up to describing it all)
    • Got a shuppet egg transferred over
    • hatched the shuppet, nicknamed it Voodoo :P

Voodoo the Adamant Shuppet
    Level 7
    Ability: Insomnia
    -Shadow Sneak *Egg move
    -Pursuit *Egg move
    -Destiny Bond *Egg Move
    -Screech

HMSlave the Totodile
    Level 8
    -Scratch
    -Water Gun
    -Leer
    -Rage

And im currently grinding and heading to violet city so i can obtain my Ghastly :P

Toxic Potato

Always Sleepy
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2020
    Found another Dunsparce. Going to try to catch it. If it doesn't have Serene Grace or I kill it/vice versa, I'm just giving up for the night.

AT LONG LAST. SERENE GRACE. Finally!!!!!!!!!! :D Now to ditch the Run Away Dunsparce.

Aaand, now to grind.

Years
  • UGH. FINALLY FOUND DUNSPARCE. Phew. I think this playthrough will be similar to the last one, where almost my entire party was female, which is what it's starting to look like now. (Not that I have a problem with that, it's just a bit weird in my opinion.)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! RUN AWAY ABILITY. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-!

Haha all the best! Dunsparce rocks. We know he does. :)
    Edit: Oh yay. :) SERENE GRACE.

I'm currently up to the Route south of Goldenrod, can't remember it's number, with a Paras and Butterfree. Pineco I'll be dropping off at the Daycare.

Good luck! We have similar teams, it'll be fun and VERY challenging. :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    Steel Mono-Type Challenge (Chapter 2)

Steel Mono-Type Challenge (Chapter 1) @ Page 25 Post 607

Update #3

- With Azalea Town within sight, i saw a sneaky guy talking to a man & blocking the well (Well i am totally hungry at that point & rush to the pokemon centre for a good nice meal & rest)
    - Early in the morning, i heard Rumor about a Great Pokeball creator, Kurt (Maybe i can get some rare pokeball from him which will be useful in thr future)
    - As i enter the Kurt's House, i saw a crazy old man yelling and rushing somewhere (Let follow it GO Steelix)
    - At the well, i saw the Old man injured his leg & ask me to save those Slowpoke from the Guy in Black (Old man you really should'nt be running around in your age)
    - After clearing the Well & recuse the slowpoke (it was easy all of them was using Normal / Posion which is deem useless infront of my Steel Pokemon - I later learn that they are called Team Rocket)
    - Kurt being gladful give me a few pokeball & a very unique ball which he autographed it (-.- who want your autographed ball, i never heard your name till this morning in fact)

Update #4

- Next Stop Azalea Gym (A Bug Gym it must spell some troubles for my Beldum who is a Psychic Type)
    - Bugsy was hopeless in front of my Steelix who have Rock Throw & Rock Tomb , (Something caught my eye Scyther i heard it evolve into Scizor with a Metal Coat - Bugsy Told me he caught it at the National Park)
    - Collect TM 89 & Hive Badge
    -
    As i leaving the town, i noticed My Rival dropped something (It a HM Cut which i teach it to my HM slave - well finder keep it right)
    - Breeze Through Ilex Forest & Reached Goldenrod City. (I went to the Poke Centre & one thing is on my mind - Scyther @ National Park)
    - Okay, Today is Thursday & i heard The National Park bug contest is on. (Let go caught me a Scyther)
    - Caught a Scyther & i gotten a Shed Skin for my effort, Rush Back to Goldenrod City & i saw the same random guy that previously helped to evolve my Onix (Putting my Spare Metal Coat & Vola i gotten myself a Scizor)

Badge 2/16
    Current Team
    Beldum Lv 18 (Steel/Psychic)
    Steelix Lv 20 (Steel/Ground)

Scizor Lv 17 (Steel/Bug)

Found another Dunsparce. Going to try to catch it. If it doesn't have Serene Grace or I kill it/vice versa, I'm just giving up for the night.

AT LONG LAST. SERENE GRACE. Finally!!!!!!!!!! :D Now to ditch the Run Away Dunsparce.

Aaand, now to grind.

All the Best :) & Gratz on your Dunsparce

Last edited:

Toxic Potato

Always Sleepy
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2020
    Haha, thanks Emoxy and Sam-sam. All I need to do now is get him (Well, her) a better move than Rage. And Defense Curl, which she apparently just learned.

Years
  • Haha, thanks Emoxy and Sam-sam. All I need to do now is get him (Well, her) a better move than Rage. And Defense Curl, which she apparently just learned.

Haha you might want to keep Defense Curl for double damage Rollout at the start. Or maybe you would've already gotten better moves by then.. Haha.

AvianAzure

The Azurean Knight
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2010
    Idk if you want to count me or not I already beat it so I don't have updates or anything but i went through the entire game with just my Tauros so it's technically a solo and monotype challenge. Add me if you want if not then *shrugs* ok.

AvianAzure
    Normal
    Soul Silver

Toxic Potato

Always Sleepy
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2020
    Haha you might want to keep Defense Curl for double damage Rollout at the start. Or maybe you would've already gotten better moves by then.. Haha.

Well, I'm going to keep Defense Curl and Rollout (Once I get it) until I can get Water Pulse, Glare, Rock Smash, and Headbutt, so probably not very long, since I can get - I think - all of those by the third gym. But I'm done for the day, so yeah.

Shiari Xero

Completely Original
    Years
  • gratz on the dunsparce :D

Another update before i head to bed:
    • Grinded Voodoo on Route 30, killin innocent Weedles and Hoothoots is Voodoo's specialty 8D
    • After grinding to a decent level i trekked farther in the route, seeing what i could see and fighting what i could fight and all that jazz.
    • A youngster, one who was battling before, challenges me to a battle (after rambling about loosing and saying i looked weak.. wtf come on im older than you, you little ****)
    • I beat his poorly trained Rattata into the dirt with Voodoo, thing couldnt lay a finger on me
    • Another youngster challenges me, and he gets beat. Another one bites the dust.
    • Passed Route 31 and got to Violet City. I hear from folks around town that Gastly have been appearing at the Sprout Tower at night. A ghastly would be an epic addition to my all Ghost team, so i head to Sprout Tower to claim my Gastly.
    • After alittle searching in the towers second floor, i find a Gastly!~
    • I name it Alptraum, which is German for Nightmare.
    • Afterwards i start grinding Alptraum, sadly hes a special attacker..and his only attacks at this time are Hypnosis and Lick (a physical move)
    • I fight every "Sage" i could see, most of them thinking they had the upper hand...Not hahahaha
    • I got to the top, just cause i wanted to see whats up there, and i see... nooo that Red-headed a-hole.. Soul (i know creative name)
    • He beats the Elder, and takes the TM from the Elder as a prize (man i want one too D:)
    • He turns to me saying that he wouldnt loose to anyone who preached about being nice to pokemon.. man i wonder wtf happened in his life that made him such a ****
    Spoiler:

• Yup No Clue...
    • Anyways i got the TM, its for flash..kinda useless but oh well i may use it later.
    • I climbed back down the tower and then went to Route 32 to grind, and am currently grinding my arse off :D
    Team:

Alptraum the Modest Gastly (M)
    Level 9
    -Hypnosis
    -Lick
    -Spite
    -Mean Look

Voodoo the Adamant Shuppet (F)
    Level 12
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Pursuit
    -Destiny Bond
    -Screech

HMSlaves:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Update # 5:

— Selby almost single-handedly defeated all of the trainers on Route 34, with Leena helping a couple of times
    — Am gonna go train on Route 35 for a while to raise Selby's levels
    — Oh, and Bomba is now at the Daycare

TEAM:

Selby/Paras
    Male/level 13
    — Scratch
    — Stun Spore
    — Leech Life
    — Bullet Seed

Leena/Butterfree
    Female/level 21
    — Gust
    — Sleep Powder
    — Confusion
    — Poisonpowder

Years
  • Ghost should be rather fun.. :) Might considering doing one in the future.

I just beat the new Elite Four with my Bug team! The front four was easy, but Lance was incredibly hard to take down. Intimidate screws up my Ninjask setups, and their powerful attacks means that I could only set up Swords Dance once before Baton Passing (contrary to the front four where they used some status moves that allowed me to set up thrice, leading to incredibly easy sweeps). I have to give special mention to Farfetch'd because I forgot to deposit it.

Rocker (Armaldo) used Rock Blast! It's super effective!
    Garchomp used Roar! (I was like, ****, Lighting's Baton Pass wasted.)
    Cufly (Farfetch'd) was dragged out!
    Garchomp used Outrage!
    Cufly fainted!
    Go, Fortress!

He managed to tank Outrage VERY well and retaliated with 2 Gyro Balls which put Garchomp to shame. :)

Another mention is STEALTH ROCK, it totally gave me a lot of damage boost to Lance's Pokemon (especially Charizard!) I had it learned by Rocker.

I think I'll drop Ash. Hail means I won't be able to setup like I did during E4.. ><

Little Brother

Little Brother...Big Heart <3
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    aaaalrighty then, lemme update.

Started Journey with Totodile as HMSlave
    grabbed an egg for Prof Elm
    Fought my rival
    returned to New Bark Town, reported the thief, and traded over my eggs in Violet City.
    ran in circles like a mad man until they all hatched, and heard nurse joy saying mean things about me being crazy.
    Began grinding straight from the start after dropping off totodile into PC from violet city.

Dratini: Male, Lvl 5. Nickname Glaedr

Dratini: Female (first one ever YAY) Lvl 5, Nickname: Tiamat

Bagon: Female (Woo) Currently Lvl 1, Nickname Bahamut.

Trapinch: Male (darn) Lvl 3, Nickname, Pilot

Hopefully at some point I'll catch a seadra for my team. This is gonna be hard from the beginning since Dratini has only wrap and leer :| ONWARD!!!

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022

Yeah, I guess that's true, but I don't want to fight the first gym with just a Pidgey. :( Nor do I want to catch a Rattata or Noctowl.

That's my team =/

Idk if you want to count me or not I already beat it so I don't have updates or anything but i went through the entire game with just my Tauros so it's technically a solo and monotype challenge. Add me if you want if not then *shrugs* ok.

AvianAzure
    Normal
    Soul Silver

You did a solo run. Technically it's monotype but there's a challenge thread for that...

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2011
    Dude, i am so inactive on this :/

I'll try to update later, kinda loosing interest....

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2010
    Getting farther...

-Leveled up in the grass I left off in. Yanma and dratini got to lvl 30. Witnessed an awesome evolution of dratini. He is bigger, faster and stronger. He is Dragonair!
    -Sent out Pidgeotto and used fly. Fly back to Olivine city.
    -Went inside the gym. The trainers inside have a large respect for me since I gave Ampharos the Secret Potion, and they didn't bother me. I walked straight to Jasmine.

Gym Battle:
    -Toughest gym battle yet. 2 Lvl 30 magnemites and a level 35 Steelix.
    -I used dragonair and dragon rage to deal with the magnemites. They tried to paralyze dragonair with a swift thunder wave attack, but Dragonair shed his skin before their eyes, and he proceeded to Ko them with dragon rage.
    -Steelix was a bit tough. I got 2 dragon rages off before Dragonair fainted.
    -I switched to yanma to hit him with supersonic, and then I hit him with sonicboom. The reason I used sonicboom here was because I wanted to make sure Jasmine didn't use a full restore on Steelix.
    -Steelix easily got a KO on yanma, yanma did her job well and deserves a good rest.
    -I sent out Gyarados, one last dragon rage. Steelix faints. Jasmine hands me her gym badge. 6 down, 2 to go... in Johto at least.

-I flew back to Ecruteak city and headed to route 42. I surfed east and discovered Suicune. He ran away after he realized Eusine was stalking him.
    -I went inside Mt. Mortar and explored. Fought all the trainers inside and got pretty decent exp. I exited and fought a few more trainers.
    -Went into Mahogany town. This town looks really suspicious. There is a really odd tree next to one of the buildings. Proceeded to route 43, the lake of rage awaits!

Current Party

Pidgeotto Lvl 31
    -Twister
    -Sand Attack
    -Fly
    -Quick Attack

Crobat Lvl 31
    -Wing Attack
    -Confuse Ray
    -Astonish
    -Bite

Gyarados Lvl 31
    -Splash(lol...)
    -Twister
    -Bite
    -Dragon Rage

Dratini Lvl 31
    -Slam
    -Thunder Wave
    -Twister
    -Dragon Rage

Yanma lvl 31
    -Shadow Ball
    -SuperSonic
    -Pursuit
    -SonicBoom

Crocnaw
    Hm Slave

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2010
    Quick update before work. (K-mart rules my life. DX)

-Pokeathlon Stamina Course is a breeze. Only got one Metal Coat last night because it was so easy, I actually got bored with it.

-In the mean time, I decided to level a bit more and challenge the next few gyms.

-Scyther quickly disposed of everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, in Chuck's gym. Lemme show you how it goes....[Wing Attack * Technician Bonus * STAB = 135 if I'm not mistaken and bonuses stack.]

-Did the training in the Lighthouse. Met Jasmine, Surfed back to Cianwood (as I haven't picked a flier yet). Got SecretPotion, Cured Amphy, Went to Jasmine.

-Jasmine was a lot easier than I thought. SolidSnake took out both Magnemites with a Dig each, and Mr. T wasted Steelix.

-Lake of Rage, no pokeballs. Not a big deal though. I can get one another playthrough...lol

-Started Mahogany Town Rocket Hideout.

Tonight I will grind pokeathlon for second Metal Coat and hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get Scizor and Steelix.

Current Team
    -------------
    Neutron/MAGNEMITE (Lv. 29)
    Mr. T/LUCARIO (Lv. 28)
    SolidSnake/ONIX (Lv. 28)
    Eddy/SCYTHER (Lv. 28)
    Skipoper/PRINPLUP (Lv. 28)

I'm sooooo adding Beldum (After breeding of course) to my team when I get to Kanto and trade Steven.

TotoPacMan

*insert witty title*
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2024
    @Sam_Sam: maybe late, but why evolve the Scyther so early? it only learns wing attack as Scyther, and now...

Update:
    -this is a big one. Beat Whitney (amazingly done in by Quagsy the Quagsire :))
    -well, everyone's already dead, so walked(biked) through a couple of routes.
    -killed off Sudowoodo for easy Exp.
    -more people to kill. Those Wigglytuff/Clefable double battle girls hurt though T.T
    -healed and went east
    -watch where you're going you stupid... oh. well thx. Got HM 4, Strength.
    -Decided to see the kimono girl.
    -ah, it's pervy old team rocket. Great. T___T Goes down easy.
    -got Hm 3 Surf! Taught to Quagsy in place of water gun.
    -Morty the evil Shadow ball spammer. i'll get you...
    -trained to Olivine. then trained in the lighthouse.
    -got Good Rod!

-started beating people, then got to Cianwood.
    -That Poliwrath is POWERFUL. Took out the whole team.
    -got secretpotion and left.
    -went back and killed Morty.
    -decided to go fishing.
    -found Chinchou(sp?) first try. Captured. Bad ability though. Can't find another. oh well.
    -trained a bit. Totopacgal (to be renamed) evolved into Feraligater!
    -went to Mahogany for Turner's(chinchou) training.
    -forgot to go get a shellder, so will probably edit this soon.

Team:

Totopacgal Lv.30
    Rock Tomb
    Crunch
    Water Gun
    Ice Fang

Turner Lv.24
    Take Down
    Water Gun
    Confuse Ray
    Spark

Pokey Lv.29
    Confusion
    Disable
    Headbutt
    Water Pulse

Quagsy Lv.29
    Surf
    Slam
    Mud Bomb
    Mud Shot

Soon to be: Big Mack the Shellder

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022

Oh, I wasn't referring to you, I was just simply saying that I didn't want a Hoothoot or Rattata. :l Sorry.

The damage is done. You're disqualified!
    Nah I'm not serious
    Please remove yourself...

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back