• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
Years
  • Yay! Alright, so far I've caught a Larvitar(15), a Geodude(15), and an Onix(16). I've just finished defeating Bugsy, and guess what? For the FIRST TIME EVER I CAUGHT A SHINY!! It's not one I can use, but still. It was a Level 3 Bellsprout. So yeah, I'm progressing.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • Thank you myrrham.

Just wanted to let you guys know now that I have defeated Clair, gotten my 8th badge and am now on my way to the Pokemon league.

Here is my current team:

Larvitar LVL 38
    Monotype Challenge
    Rock Slide

Bite

Sandstorm

Screech

Graveler LVL 38
    Monotype Challenge
    Magnitude

Rock Smash

Fire Punch

Rock Throw

Sudowoodo LVL 39
    Monotype Challenge
    Ice Punch

Rock Slide

Flail

Low Kick

Corsola LVL 39 (What a lifesaver he is)
    Monotype Challenge
    Surf

Tackle

Recover

Whirlpool

Onix LVL 38
    Monotype Challenge
    Rock Throw

Screech

Strength

Iron Tail

Then I usually have a low level HM Slave. I like using Low levels, as I won't rely on them to counter the rock as I would a higher level non rock type. I must say that I am dissapointed that I can't get any fossil Pokemon though... But I will be sure to catch a Chansey for that one girl's Aerodactyl ASAP. I just hope I can get through the league with my current team. I think I might be able to do Will fairly easy. Koga might be a little tough. God help me with Bruno. Karen should be fairly easy if I use Larvitar and Sudowoodo while spamming Bite, Low Kick, and eventually Flail. And then Lance... well he'll depend. I'm sure Sudowoodo could easily defeat him if he is at a high enough level. Anyways, this is a very fun Challenge! I think I'm doing very well and can't wait to finish!

With all regards,

-ChrisTom

Oh one more thing...

POST 700!!

AnjinMiura_PL

Challenger Extraordinaire (?)
    Years
  • Finally, I can tell that I'm finished with this ;)
    Last, 4th update! ;)

Spoiler:

adamskillz

Trainer to the STARS!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    Can i join with normal types?

EDIT: i already started haha

UPDATE 1:
    Named myself GOLD (creativity is amazing isn't it?)
    Rival: BOB
    defeated BOB
    went and captured a Pidgey ( Timothy )
    captured a Sentret ( James )
    Went through sprout tower and got my first gym badge!

Pidgey/Timothy - Lvl 13
    Sentret/James - Lvl 9

Sentret is a bit tougher to train against Bellsprouts haha.

Well, i continued through to Azalea town and saved some Slowpoke. Ya know what happened there? James evolved into Furret!
    Then i continued and beat Bugsy with a few exp left until Timothy evolved.

Current Poke's
    Pidgey/Timothy - 17
    Furret/James - 17

Last edited:

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • I HAVE COMPLETED THE CHALLENGE!!

I beat the Elite 4 easily with a large amount of grinding. Afterwards I went on my tour of Kanto and defeated all Gym Leaders easily, with the exception of Blue, who I had a difficult time with. Afterwards I headed up to Mt.Silver and did some hardcore grinding until all my Pokemon were at level 55. I headed into the dark unknown of the cave, and found Red. After a long and thorough battle, I knew that I had just completed the Official G/S/C Monotype Challenge: Rock Type Edition. Brock would be proud:

Monotype Challenge
    Monotype Challenge
    Monotype Challenge

And if you still don't believe I beat Red:

Monotype Challenge

POOF! HE'S GONE!!

Sorry, but I don't have the time to post all the stat pages. But I'm sure that is proof enough. I really enjoyed doing this. For those who don't know, this is the first challenge I have ever completed. Thank you for creating this thread Myrrham. I really appreciate all you have done for the Pokecommunity Forums. I can't wait to put that fancy bar in my signature! Thank you again.

With all regards,

-ChrisTom

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Congrats Ober and ChrisTom on becoming the newest Champions.
    And welcome adamskillz on becoming the newest challenger. I hope you follow in Ober and Chris's footsteps and become a champion.

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2010
    Im going to do another one, just using normal and flying types, so a dual monotype challenge. I've got 6 possible pokemon so I should be fine.

First Update

Picked Totodile as my starter... this challenge will be hard enough so I might as well pick something easy. Also made it 3 am so that I can catch HootHoot, then Pidgey and Spearow right when it hits four. Anyways did all that and caught them, then grinded them to all learn their flying type move. Destroyed sprout tower, got them all to like lvl 14 then beat Falkner.

Then I got Togepi from the aide, and went down to the cave. Really had a tough time with the hikers, and the one outside the cave on the town side fainted my party. Went back and killed him the next time without losing pokemon, problem was The Master was out of Metronome. Then easily beat the rocket based, and just grinded them a bit. Beat bugsy very easily (flying vs bug), then went to fight my rival. Tore through him easily too thanks to foresight. Caught a paras HM slave too, also plan on getting a lanturn (all water + flash).

Then went to goldenrod, grinded my pokemon a lot, and just training them more before Whitney.

Current team:
    Monotype Challenge
    Monotype Challenge
    Monotype Challenge
    Monotype Challenge

Last edited:

PresentPresence

Nostalgia Tourist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2010
    Hey, PP here, trying out a Psychic challenge on my Silver cart. Yes, mother, I know how to use the PHONE. And, gee, it is convenient. :NOSTALGIA: Named trainer Domino. Wednesday, 2:48. Let's go brolords.

This challenge is sponsored by Franz Ferdinand.

:CHALLENGE START:
    "Chapter 1: Beginning to Slowpoke"
    :NEWBARK TOWN: Grabbed Cyndaquil, no nickname for you. I mean, geez, all you have to do is beat up like a level 9 Pidgeotto and a level 14 Koffing. That doesn't earn you a name. And gimme that berry.
    :ROUTE 29: Actually managed to get to Cherrygrove without a single encounter. Huh.
    :CHERRYGROVE CITY: Map Card get!
    :ROUTE 30: Somehow managed to only encounter 2 level 2 Pidgey, avoiding a level up. If I can't beat my rival, I guess I'll go back and fight one more for a small advantage.
    :CHERRYGROVE CITY: Bought a couple potions for rival battle and a few antidotes for later. Rival tiem!
    :RIVAL ENCOUNTER: Let's get it over with.
    1. I Leer, he Scratches for 5 damage. (14/19)
    2. I Leer again, he Scratches for another 5 damage. (9/19)
    3. I Tackle for crap damage, he Scratches again. (4/19)
    4. Potion, Scratch. (14/19)
    5. Leer, Scratch. (9/19)
    6. Tackle him past halfway, Scratch. (4/19)
    7. Potion just in case, Scratch. (14/19)
    8. Tackle him dead. Wasted a potion.
    CYNDAQUIL levels to 6.9999, literally 1 exp away from 7, learns Smokescreen (Whoop-dee-freakin-doo).
    :ROUTE 29: No encounters again! Score!
    :NEWBARK TOWN: Rival named Rivale because it looks cool. Would of liked to name him Poopy McGee, but, you know, character limit. Let mother be a piggy bank so I can get that Snorlax doll someday. :cer_boogie:
    :ROUTE 29: I refuse to not describe every route and city I pass by outside of grinding excursions. And screw you bad haircut kid, I can catch Pokémon just fine. Pidgey on first tile of grass, level to 7, no other encounters.
    :CHERRYGROVE CITY:Yep.
    :ROUTE 30: Ignore first trainer, second trainer levels CYNDAQUIL to 8, manage to evade third guy.
    :ROUTE 31: No battle for you. I'll save Dark Cave for later.
    :VIOLET CITY: "The City of Nostalgic Scents" Really? I never read that sign before. Freaky. :NOSTALGIA: Skip Sprout Tower, on to try me out a Spearow. First try, throw out a few Smokescreens, critically Pecked to death. Second try, throw out a couple Leers instead, 3 Tackles and 2 Potions later, level 9. Next trainer somehow managed to critical 3 times, requiring 2 potions and bringing me to level 10. This Cyndaquil is breaking my bank. Grind to level 12 for Ember, time for Falkner.
    :GYM LEADER-FALKNER: Let me just say this: Falkner is math. I mean, his gym floor is in the shape of a dollar sign and he wears hammer pants. Pure math. First try, Pidgey goes down with a couple Embers but gets a Mud-kip on me. His hacked Pidgeotto (Level 9? What the hell?) ends up beating me from 1/3 health because of 3 gimped Embers in a row. Freaking Mud-kip. Second try I critically Ember Pidgey to death. Take that, Mud-kip! Pidghetto owned, level 13. Does Zephyr Badge really raise attack? And in what way? Anyway, I grab the egg because I might need the Everstone in case Eevee decides to evolve before level 30.
    :ROUTE 32: First trainer is unavoidable, but he doesn't level CYNDAUIL.
    :UNION CAVE: Ugh, rock types. Managed to grab that Potion and evaded that first climber. Second climber unavoidable, but his Dudes go down eventually, and level CYNDAQUIL to 14, evolution. Yaaay.../sarcasm. Avoided first firebreather. Skip the path to Swift for now. Second firebreather unavoidable.
    :ROUTE 33: Yep v.2.0.
    :AZALEA TOWN: Mistuh Kurt...he dead. THE HORROR!
    :RAINMAKER WELL: It sounds cooler than SLOWPOKE WELL. Taking on all these Rockets since they disappear, they're unavoidable anyway. QUILAVA owns all dese grunts. "Just...too..strong." :cer_nod: Leveled to 17, not that it matters, because he's an HM slave now.
    :AZALEA TOWN: "I'd be honored to make BALLS for you!" : SUPPRESSED MEMORIES: Well now I can go back and get my first Psychic type.
    :SLOWPOKE WELL: I can call it this now that there are actually Slowpokes in here. Caught my level 8, named him Combo.
    "End of Chapter 1"
    I'll get back to you guys once I've ground Combo up enough to face Rivale.

adamskillz

Trainer to the STARS!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    Sorry guys but im gonna resign.

I decided to restart my HeartGold so i'll complete this challenge on HG and post on that thread.

PresentPresence

Nostalgia Tourist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2010
    Alright, after a grinding excursion mostly involving revisiting those avoided trainers and Sprout Tower, Combo reached level 18. I decided not to grind the extra 2 levels for Confusion and try out Rivale right away.

"Chapter 2: The Way to Drowzee"
    :RIVALE ENCOUNTER: I love the irony of this guy calling me a weakling after I trounce him.
    Used an Awakening after Gastly Hypnotized me, but other than that Ghastly went down easily enough. Zubat gave me some trouble with Supersonic, and Leech Life and Bite were both super-effective. Luckily, Combo is quite a tank, requiring only 1 Potion against Zubat. Haxorz Croconaw (Did he give it steroids to evolve early or something? WHAT ARE THESE TRAINER'S SECRETS?) gave me a bit of trouble, but after 3 Curses, Combo was set to take the win.
    :ILEX FOREST: An HM for my slave.
    :AZALEA GYM: Combined efforts of the forest and trainers here brings me to level 20. I am worried about super-effective Fury Cutter, but I think I can take him/her.
    :GYM LEADER-BUGSY: Let's go you heshe.
    Start out with my 3 Curses in preparation for Scyther. First Fury Cutter does 4 damage. :bandit: But after 4 I'm dead. :disappoin I'm kind of banking on maybe Confusion confusing him, causing him to hurt himself, disrupting Fury Cutter's flow. Or, maybe I'll just get lucky. ROUND 2! 4 Curses, still no dice. ROUND 3! Heh, shoulda figured after 5 Curses Tackle would do a better job than Confusion. Hive Badge get!

I'll finish this chapter later. I'm tired.

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2010
    Update #2 (Flying/Normal dual monotype challenge)

Okay so I basically haven't played all that much, and I didn't write down what I did, so I'm doing this off memory.

I last left off right before Whitney (post). But I really didn't feel like playing it that much, especially since I just got VBA-M to work for my mac, thus letting me play pokemon FireRed and Emerald, two games i've never played on gameboy before.

So everyday I played for a bit, but all I did was happiness trained, by that I cut The Master's hair, and I ran back and forth, and back and forth, also bought return on the appropriate day. Finally I tried to evolve The Master, and I failed so I trained him so more, and then second time he evolved. I taught him return, and with that as well as with The Owl's hypnosis/swift combo, I took Whitney down.

So that aside, I have probably my hardest challenge in the Ghost Gym, (well really probably surge, but I don't want to think about that). So I teach The Hawk mud-slap, and the master Rollout, I also get the nightmare tm50 challenge down. Finally after I train as much as I think I need, I beat Morty, surprising very easily as his hypnosis/dream eater fails to put me to sleep, and his curses don't last enough to kill me.

Then I go to olivine and catch my HM slave chincou. And go to fight Chuck., when I get there I realize none of my guys learn strength, so I evolve totodile into croconaw, and he replaces paras as a cut/strength slave. After training on the Tentacool family, my birds crush Chuck. Then after giving jasmine her meds [oops I mean Amphy's ;) ] I beat her. To do this I mudslap the magnemites, and kill steelix with a hypnosis, nightmare and relflect combo. Then I clear out Team Rocket, and beat Pryce mostly with Return from the master.

Right now I'm in the Radio Tower, and have yet to meet the fake director.

Current pokemon
    Monotype Challenge
    Monotype Challenge
    Monotype Challenge
    Monotype Challenge

Years
  • I want to try this challenge again. I will do this on crystal and I will use fire types.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2010
    This thread needs more love D: I'll start this challenge on Pokemon Crystal with Normal-Types. (This thread isn't a month-old yet, so this doesn't count as necro-ing, right? >.<)

I'll update this thread in a bit with my progress :3

-Update 1-

From starting the game to beating Falkner:
    Spoiler:

-Update 2?-
    From Zephyr Badge to beating Bugsy (?)

-Got an Egg
    -Hatched egg into Togepi, named it Omelet
    -Got Omelet, Viper, Timon, Garuda, Fugly, Schemer and Umbra to level 20
    -Evolved Fugly into a Fearow and stashed it away in the computer to never be seen again
    -Evolved Garuda into Pidgeotto, Schemer into Raticate and Umbra into Noctowl
    -Caught Tentacool (Squishy), Magikarp (Hatefish), Goldeen (HELLYEAH)
    -Kicked Team Rocket out of Slowpoke Well
    -Taught Omelet Swift
    -Got Omelet, Viper, Timon, Garuda, Schemer and Umbra to level 21
    -Beat Bugsy, got Hive Badge

From Hive Badge to beating Whitney

-Caught Venonat (Munchy), Psyduck (Sy-Duck) and Oddish (Stinko)
    -Taught Viper Headbutt
    -Taught Timon Cut
    -Got Timon, Viper, Garuda, Schemer and Umbra to level 22
    -Arrived at Goldenrod City

... And that's about it for this post, I guess, unless nobody else posts until tomorrow! I'll call it a night now because I guess that's enough for one day.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm taking the challenge! Started a new game on my pokemon gold just now, goin for poison.
    [EDIT] K started my new game, captured a Spinarak after beating my rival.
    Dropped my sarter in a box and captured a bellsprout.
    Beat sprout tower and got the Zephyr badge after a few tries.
    Just got outta slowpoke well. I'll update again after i beat Whitney.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2010
    @Liruthewerewolf, I suggest you restart and get a Gastly, other than a crobat hes your best poison pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2010
    Gastly is pretty easy to find at night, same place where you find Bellsprout o-o

In other news, updating again today! Updating on weekends is much more comfortable/efficient << I'll pick up the game after lunch and go as far as I can again! Hooray for long updates xD

EDIT:

RRRRRRGHK can't post images yet need 15 posts =_= Lost an update and I'm not in the mood to write it up again. I'll post it once I get 15 posts.

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Hey everyone!

This thread is being closed to test out a new way of doing things. There will be a new thread for it, however. Don't get discouraged from updating there, and don't think you have to start all over, I will literally just transfer your progress over to the new thread!

~Myrrh

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back