• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monster Hunter!

sandeon

My Brand!
Years
    • Seen May 18, 2022
    I was just kinda thinking, who here plays Monster hunter? Its very unknown where I'm at and I was wondering, dose anyone here play it? And what weapon do you prefer?

Fun statistic: 1 in 5 people living in japan and own a PSP also own a Monster Hunter game for the PSP. (This was reflected in my schools Japanese club today as most of the exchange students said they own, play, and like Monster Hunter)

The games get more advertising over in Japan and I think its sad that people over here tend to overlook it. -.-

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • I've already beaten the Ceadeus, the final boss of Monster Hunter Tri.
    I switch what weapon I use occasionly, but I've never battled the Ceadeus without a Long Sword.

sandeon

My Brand!
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2022
    I am DEFIANTLY not that far. I just beat the Goubul tonight in fact. Second try ^.^ I like to use sword and shield (beat Barroth w/it) Im decent with the long sword. And LOVE the big sword mode of switch axes! (Beat Goubul w/it) And I hope to get a monster hunter game for the PSP so i can use dual weapons. And so i can play it on the go.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I played Monster Hunter. I liked it, tbh, but I'm not really into those kind of games. It makes me bored easily. I never really did get what fun that game has. Well, that's just me.

Years
  • We had a Monster Hunter thread when Tri was released, but it died a while ago. Still, us Monster Hunter bros have to stick together.

Spoiler:

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • We had a Monster Hunter thread when Tri was released, but it died a while ago. Still, us Monster Hunter bros have to stick together.

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I loved the pic of the big buff guy!
    I thought it was funny!
    Too bad I don't have a PSP... I'd like to have a portable Monster Hunter...
    But right now, I'm saving up for a 3DS & Super Street Fighters IV.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I have limited experience with playing any games of the series (a few goes at a friend's place of MHTri is it =p) but having the soundtrack to said game, the music is amazingly good.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • I have limited experience with playing any games of the series (a few goes at a friend's place of MHTri is it =p) but having the soundtrack to said game, the music is amazingly good.
    Speaking of the music, I have the Monster Hunter theme as a ringtone.
    But I wish I could hear the whole thing...
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I'm a player of the portable games, and would likely play Frontier too if it were out of Asia.
    I make the most use of long swords and heavy bowguns, usually to a degree of mutual exclusiveness depending on what I'm fighting. Favourites of each type are the Black Katana and Desert Diver.

Does anyone know when MHP3 comes out?
    Apparently, it may not, and if it is released in English it will not likely be on the PSP.

Last edited:

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • I'm a player of the portable games, and would likely play Frontier too if it were out of Asia.
    I make the most use of long swords and heavy bowguns, usually to a degree of mutual exclusiveness depending on what I'm fighting. Favourites of each type are the Black Katana and Desert Diver.

Apparently, it may not, and if it is released in English it will not likely be on the PSP.
    Tri for the Wii is the only Monster Hunter game I played...
    I know the bowguns didn't have enough oomph for my liking...
    Do you know if they're any better on the portable games?

3DS, I hope?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Tri for the Wii is the only Monster Hunter game I played...
    I know the bowguns didn't have enough oomph for my liking...
    Do you know if they're any better on the portable games?
    Bowguns do seem weak at first, and indeed one can have trouble with small monsters jumping around all the time; but the heavy ones can clear quests faster than any other weapon type, especially multiple-monster quests, since you can bring different shot types to take advantage of all your opponents' weaknesses, whereas with a melee weapon you've got one or two effects (assuming dual swords can have differing effects per blade in Tri) and that's it.

I wouldn't know much about differences between games, but they look fine to me in Tri. It's mostly a matter of user skill and familiarity, like how I'm terrible with lances and hammers but know they can be used extremely effectively. There is a text called the Bowgun Compendium, concerned mainly with MHFU so the monsters are few the same, but the introductory sections should contain good general advice (except about Dragon S sucking — far as I know that's been improved significantly).

TiTaN.JuStIn

Fighting the army of Stress...
    Years
  • Finally someone made this kind of thread. Okay. I played Monster Hunter portable series and I really liked them. I ususally play it with my friends. We even have a team called Dragon Lords. Why? Because we like to hunt Dragons like Rathalos and Rathian.

About my favourite weapon type, I usually hunt with Dual swords or Lances. Dual swords? Because they are fast. Lances? Becaase they are strong and you can guard with it.

Last edited:

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • Bowguns do seem weak at first, and indeed one can have trouble with small monsters jumping around all the time; but the heavy ones can clear quests faster than any other weapon type, especially multiple-monster quests, since you can bring different shot types to take advantage of all your opponents' weaknesses, whereas with a melee weapon you've got one or two effects (assuming dual swords can have differing effects per blade in Tri) and that's it.

I wouldn't know much about differences between games, but they look fine to me in Tri. It's mostly a matter of user skill and familiarity, like how I'm terrible with lances and hammers but know they can be used extremely effectively. There is a text called the Bowgun Compendium, concerned mainly with MHFU so the monsters are few the same, but the introductory sections should contain good general advice (except about Dragon S sucking — far as I know that's been improved significantly).

Well, there's no dual swords on Tri...
    Here are the weapons, from my least to most favorite:

Sword & Shield (WAY too weak for my liking...)

Bowgun (But I'll work on trying to make better Bowguns when I play again)

Lances (Actually, haven't used them that much... I want to get a good 1, like the 1 made from Barioth parts.)

Hammers (BIG fun! I can be fancy with these, but I don't use them for more difficult missions.)

Great Sword (THIS has the power I lust for! I want to make the Diablos armor so I can use the Critcal Draw ability, since I withdraw it a lot to move much faster.)

Long Sword (This is fun too, with it's spirit combo! I have a Lagiacrus armor with the Focus skill gemmed in to make full use of Long Swords.)

Switch Axe (This is what I've been using for the most difficult monster in my opinion, which is the Urugaan. & I love it's adaptability! I use axe mode for quicker monsters, sword mode for monsters with hard armor.)

sandeon

My Brand!
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2022

I do hope it doesn't come out on the PSP because the camera is sooooo annoying.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • I have a question to everyone who played Monster hunter. What is your favourite monster?

In design, the Barioth.
    I love cats & Barioth looks like a cross of a Saber-toothed Cat & a Dragon.

To fight, the Ceadeus.
    I like the music in the first part of the battle & I just LOVE seeing big monsters...
    The bigger, the better!

sandeon

My Brand!
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2022
    Rathian! The queen of the forest.

Or the Jan morah. (probably killed the spelling)

.MiKeY

Tank Operator
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    I've played MH since it was on the PS2, great game.
    I'd be playing MHP3 right now if my joystick on my PSP wasn't messed up.

Best monster design IMO would be a Gravios, pretty fun to fight too.

Back