• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Most annoying Gym Leader in FR/LG

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2012
    I always hated fighting Brock. I'd make sure to find a Mankey nearby Viridian City just so that I could use it to face him. Mostly because I never picked Squirtle or Bulbasaur as my starter, so I always had the type disadvantage with the starting pokemon.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • Without cheating, I find Sabrina, Koga, or Giovanni the hardest to beat. (depends a lot on the starter I choose)

Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2012
    Brock and Misty are annoying if you choose charmender like me

so i caugth a mankey and a pikachu , mankey was helpful but pikachu didnt learn any dameging eletrick attack...

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • They're all simple and easy to beat you just need to know which types. And Kanto's Gyms use the most basic types.

Rock/Ground
    Water
    Lightning
    Grass/Poison
    Fighting
    Poison/Bug
    Psychic
    Fire
    Ground/Normal

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I managed to acquire a Magnemite early on in my LeafGreen game, so Misty was pretty easy (and, by design, Koga, since Magneton is immune to Poison-type moves, and any Normal-type moves they use will be largely ineffective).

For me, Brock probably was the most nightmare-ish. Starting with Charmander I found him really difficult. Particularly his Onix (since his Geodude doesn't know any Rock-type moves, which makes it a little easier).

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
    Years
  • Woo everything seems a breeze to me even with Charmander I just leveled him up until it evolves JUST METAL CLAW them ALL! xD

But I think If you pick Squirtle then everything would be a breeze.. :)

But for me the most annoying one would be BLAINE because at my first try it took me about a week before getting the key for the Gym door!

But it was pretty easy beating him though.. :D

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2012
    Uh... I HATE Misty... Her stupid Starmie and it's evolved form are just as annoying. DX They both keep on using water pulse. Even with a water-type Pokemon, it still takes on a lot of damage.

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    for me i just overpowered my charmandar and killed koga and mist with 1 hit KO (flamethrower)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • In RSE Brawly always seemed to give me a lot of touble; tended to need to grind or use some special tactic for him each time around. (Sableye is an excellent tactic. =p). As for FRLG... nothing too bad. Misty once gave me trouble via confusion hax from her Starmie and I did also have issue with Sabrina too before but otherwise nothing too hard in my playthroughs there.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2012
    I must say, I'm very surprised by some of these picks.

Mankey can easily own Brock's gym, even without a lot of training (and that's if you're too lazy to get Metal Claw on Charmander).

I caught a lv 14 Gloom while hunting for Abra, and without any training it easily beat every single thing in Misty's gym.

If you got Geodude way back in Mt Moon, he can solo Lt Surge. He's immune to electricity so even if he's under leveled he handles them.

And for Koga, does no one take the time to catch an Abra? He'll evolve long before reaching Koga, and he can 1-hit poison types twice his level with Psychic attacks, on top of which he's one of the fastest pokemon in the game.

But SABRINA! There's really nothing in the game that works against psychic types, and her pokemon are insanely high leveled. I only managed to beat her because Gyarados is a beast and bite is a dark move now so it's boss, and I was just able to evolve Charmeleon into Charizard with a Rare Candy, and flamethrower eats everything. I still had to revive Charizard THREE TIMES! And she beat me three times before I was able to figure out what to do.

In Emerald, I didn't have any real trouble until the normal gym with the main character's Dad. Those were some seriously over leveled normal types.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • I must say, I'm very surprised by some of these picks.

Mankey can easily own Brock's gym, even without a lot of training (and that's if you're too lazy to get Metal Claw on Charmander).

I caught a lv 14 Gloom while hunting for Abra, and without any training it easily beat every single thing in Misty's gym.

If you got Geodude way back in Mt Moon, he can solo Lt Surge. He's immune to electricity so even if he's under leveled he handles them.

And for Koga, does no one take the time to catch an Abra? He'll evolve long before reaching Koga, and he can 1-hit poison types twice his level with Psychic attacks, on top of which he's one of the fastest pokemon in the game.

But SABRINA! There's really nothing in the game that works against psychic types, and her pokemon are insanely high leveled. I only managed to beat her because Gyarados is a beast and bite is a dark move now so it's boss, and I was just able to evolve Charmeleon into Charizard with a Rare Candy, and flamethrower eats everything. I still had to revive Charizard THREE TIMES! And she beat me three times before I was able to figure out what to do.

In Emerald, I didn't have any real trouble until the normal gym with the main character's Dad. Those were some seriously over leveled normal types.

This is the only post that made any sense in this thread.

All the Gyms are easily beaten, I always grab a BELLSPROUT west of the nugget bridge for Misty. GEODUDE in Mt. Moon for Surge. PIDGEY for Erika and Koga, I usually just physically brutalize Sabrina before she can pop off a Psychic move. And Blaine and Geovani are taken care of with any type of powerful WATER-Type.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2012
    I would be interested in hearing how you were able to on-shot Sabrina's Psychic Pokemon before they could even move. It doesn't seem possible, at least without over levelling.

HoennTM

Will my hack be done soon? Probably not.
    Years
  • Gym leaders

The most annoying gym leader for me was Koga. I always start off with Bulbasaur because he is my favourite starter, and i would never catch anything in the game good against Koga, the way i would win would be get a lvl 43 Pidgeot and spam the living daylight out of Aerial Ace

diamondmutt1111

A wild summer appeared!
    Years
  • KOGA. Maybe it was because my Starter and only Pokemon I used (This was earlier in my life, when one Pokemon, my Starter, was good enough). Maybe because Koffing and Weezing have SelfDestruct or Explosion. Maybe because I didn't think to use Ground and Psychic attacks. All I know was that HE was the bane of my playing experience.

Back