• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moves that look good on the show, but suck in the games

enyce

banned
    Years
    All I could think of is fire spin....I saw two episodes where fire spin looked cool. When Blaines Ninetales used it. Then when Ash's Charmander beat Koga with it. Then I used it in the game when I had Ninetales. It was one of the crappiest moves ever.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Actually... Fire Spin can be quite useful on Ninetales for example. Will-o-Wisp, Confuse Ray and Fire Spin is a pretty darn annoying combo for the opponent, it only works in competitive battling, though.

Let's see... Hyper Beam for starters, but Water Gun, Rollout and Vine Whip are also overpowered in the show (come on, Water Gun seems to have as much power as Hydro Pump -_-). Ash's Bulbasaur and Chikorita both kicked butt with Vine Whip, but it really sucks in the games.
    Needless to say why Rollout is on the list... seriously, I remember the Phanphy from ''Spell of the Unown'' that beat Onix with one hit from Rollout, Ash also haxorizes people with Donphan's/Phanphy's Rollout.

There are much more, too...

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Yes! Water Gun....Ash and May tell their Squirtles to use it, and its this big, awesome, blast of water.... in the games.....nah... its just a few little water drops that splash on your opponent, because GameFreak wants to point out the fact that its suppose to be a weaker attack.... ><;; Psh...

Chesters_love

This sh!t is bananas,BANANAS!
    Years
    Drew said:
    Yes! Water Gun....Ash and May tell their Squirtles to use it, and its this big, awesome, blast of water.... in the games.....nah... its just a few little water drops that splash on your opponent, because GameFreak wants to point out the fact that its suppose to be a weaker attack.... ><;; Psh...
    i know and ember cyndaquil uses it BIG blast of fire,in the game,poof 1 damage thats amazing!!NOT!!:laugh:

Harley+

Harley+Cookies=YAY
    Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2007
    Twister i recently saw wen ash get the rain badge (~_~)it looks cool beating ashes swellow and something else but in the game it has only 40power:(

Axєl

→ enveloping flames;
    Years
    Exactly....
    It would make the stronger attacks look weaker, if they all looked really powerful...

Years
    The Hunk said:
    Dragon Rage is one of the ones I think they overpower and make look cool. In the episode when Jame's Magikarp evolved back when the S.S. Anne sank, they made Dragon Rage seem like the most powerful attack ever.
    Yeah I was gonna say that.

Drifblim

Banned
    Years
    Thundershock.

Have you ever noticed that the popular tagline for Ash's Pikachu attacking is 'Thundershock NOW!'? Well, it's not the best in the industry, mate. Although it can paralyse, there's credit due for that.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    Someone said this but Dragon Rage, like battle aboard the saint anne. Also, water gun! My god that looks pretty cool in the show but in the games its horrible. Also moves like petal dance and silver wind aren't that good. I think silver wind should do more then 60 damage ><

Prince Peasley

Hello. O.o
    Years
    Smarties-kun said:
    Actually... Fire Spin can be quite useful on Ninetales for example. Will-o-Wisp, Confuse Ray and Fire Spin is a pretty darn annoying combo for the opponent, it only works in competitive battling, though.

Let's see... Hyper Beam for starters, but Water Gun, Rollout and Vine Whip are also overpowered in the show (come on, Water Gun seems to have as much power as Hydro Pump -_-). Ash's Bulbasaur and Chikorita both kicked butt with Vine Whip, but it really sucks in the games.
    Needless to say why Rollout is on the list... seriously, I remember the Phanphy from ''Spell of the Unown'' that beat Onix with one hit from Rollout, Ash also haxorizes people with Donphan's/Phanphy's Rollout.

There are much more, too...

Yeah ur completly right -_- But that thing about the Phanphy is that that was some strange modified phanphy XD

enyce

banned
    Years
    Crystal Walrein said:
    Thundershock.

Have you ever noticed that the popular tagline for Ash's Pikachu attacking is 'Thundershock NOW!'? Well, it's not the best in the industry, mate. Although it can paralyse, there's credit due for that.

Rememeber when Pikachu destroyed the whole pokemon center with thunder shock??? In the episode where they went to viridian city for the first time.

Who could forget when Caterpies string shot completely tied up It was either Jessie or some random pokemon.

Plus when Confusion sent back Pikachus thunder bolt. In the episode ash challenged sabrina.

Oh that Dragon Rage thing. How could it do all that, but only 40 damage in the game. Dragons had no STAB moves back in RBY days, I thought it should of had like 100 base power or somethin.

Natsuki

.bluefang.
    Years
    I agree on the Fire Spin thing. It does look cool on the show, but in the games it does like minimal damage and takes forever to power up. x__X [/nerdiness]

Umm, well Water Gun looks pretty cool on the show too, but it looks more like a "Little Drops of Water" attack in the games. XD I think think String Shot is over exaggerated on the show. It's not fair that we can't wrap up our opponents into big balls of string in the games like they do on the show~ ;;

~Kelsey

Metaforte

Hey, Im still alive.
    Years
    Rollout, Hyper BEam, and definetly Fire Spin. They all suck

^Rapid spin does suck in attack power, but can be used to blow away spikes from Skarmory and Forrestress (I think I spelled it wrong) so it's not completly worthless/

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
    What are you talking about? Rollout and Hyper Beam are pretty good attacks.

Anyway, the only attack I can think of is String Shot. String Shot in the game lowers their speed, but in the anime, they're imoblized. XD Also quick attack. XD In the show, it looks powerful. In the game, congrats...you attacked first. XD

Back