• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Musclemon. The craziest idea ever

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
    I have determined that this thread needs moar pictures.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Epic pictures. XD

Funnily enough, and friend and I were talking about a similar subject - basically about how games tended to be changed some way or another when released on other countries. Frankly I find it annoying, all of this censoring business and localisation...ing. At least such a thing hadn't happened in this instance, otherwise Pokemon wouldn't have taken off as much as it has had, I fear. (And looking at stuff like Tyranitar and all...). But...I wonder what they things they suggested looked like... O_o

At any rate though, look at stuff which did get changed - the latest Fire Emblem game on the DS - Shadow Dragon - reportedly had the US version easier than the Japanese version. Possibly done because they thought that the game was all too hard for us Western players - which completely misses the point of Fire Emblem being a fun game due to it being challenging, rather than being made somewhat easier and more beatable. =/

In other games, characters underwent changes visually...such as in the comments on that page, one mentions a character looking different between the Japanese and American versions. The difference - they replaced a cowboy hat. What reason is that to it - didn't look cool enough? Stuff like this appears in tv shows as well, and so forth (including the Pokemon anime - besides guns being taken out of one episode (or was it the episode altogether?), rice balls now = doughnuts, apparently) - there's a number of stuff out there that underwent such changes, big or small, many for questionable reasons.

For those who played The World Ends With You - imagine if it was passed off as, say, New York, or suddenly was Americanised, ignoring the actual place that it is set in - a district in Japan. Not that grand a thought there now, is it? Happily that isn't the case. (Although... there ARE songs that only appeared in the Japanese version...)

Although they may try to improve games for the target audience in completely different countries with such changes, many times they end up just being more of a hindrance for many. All this politically correct business and ignorance of things that don't appear in countries... well, some changes at times should be made, of course, but to make the gameplay easier, or remove cultural objects and so forth...and suggest replacing Pokemon because, darn it, electric rodents, along with turtles with cannons from their backs and fire-breathing dragons just aren't cool enough? Not something a agree upon.

Ayselipera

full of Machokes and Machamps.

Years
    Fighting types would have been the main key. But I would love to see the events that would have been if Nintendo did "Musclemon".

Cham

Cool Trainer
    Years
    What is with people thinking America likes crappy ideas or something? The guy who proposed that idea sounds like the same person who decides to dumb down all the video game box art when transferring games from Japan to America.

s l u g

arriving somewhere but not here,
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 2, 2023
    I'm glad Nintendo chose to keep Pokemon the way it was. We've now got a group of close to 500 different creatures that are extremely diverse, just like the races of the world...

What about -mons like Feraligatr, Garchomp, Rhyperior, Groudon or Tyranitar? Didn't Pokemon jump off the cute boat a few years ago?

Sola84

I'm just a ray of sunshine
    Years
    I've always wondered what Diglett looked like below the neck...

Pokemon was/is appealing to kids because they looked cute and cool. I certainly wouldn't have played/watched it if pokemon was on steriods.

Years
    Stuff like this appears in tv shows as well, and so forth (including the Pokemon anime - besides guns being taken out of one episode (or was it the episode altogether?), rice balls now = doughnuts, apparently) - there's a number of stuff out there that underwent such changes, big or small, many for questionable reasons.

You're thinking about The Legend of Miniryu (The Legend of Dratini), which wasn't shown outside of Japan due to heavy use of firearms. In all fairness, you can't really have such a use of guns in a programme aimed at pre-teens and teens, and you can't really use the excuse that Japanese children are less sensitive about the issue - do you see guns being used in the anime today? =/

Also, the rice balls = donuts was in one episode - the 25th overall - and times have move don since then. Nowadays they're called rice balls properly, though there were times in Hoenn where there were paint edits to change them into sandwiches. >>;

For those who played The World Ends With You - imagine if it was passed off as, say, New York, or suddenly was Americanised, ignoring the actual place that it is set in - a district in Japan. Not that grand a thought there now, is it? Happily that isn't the case. (Although... there ARE songs that only appeared in the Japanese version...)

Oh lord, I can't imagine such a thing. D= Are you sure about some songs only appearing in the Japanese version though? If you're referring to the songs that are translated into American ("Someday" and "Twister", can't remember if there are any more) I'm positive I've heard both the originals and the translated in-game.

Callandor

ughhh....
    Years
    Wow. I honestly agree with the majority view here. I am glad that pokemon wasn't changed. I mean I like all those Fighting types, but to have nonthing but that would suck!

Though I guess I am kinda interested in the idea. I mean it brings to mind the kind of questions like "What would the games be based on, a large fighting tornament?"

Monochrome

[♠]♦]♣]♥]
    Years
    I wonder who the American was who said NO WE AMERICAN HATE ALL THINGS CUTE AND AWESOME.... GIVE THEM ROIDS.... Cuz yeah that guy failed....

Back