• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music: Yesterday... or Today!

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
    I don't believe the quality of music is based on time of release, but on the musician itself. Today there are many new genres. Some are variations of older genres, while some are brand new. I think there is music today that is not that great, but there always has been, people have just forgot about those artists/songs, just like people probably will of the current bad music today. What is considered good and bad is of course opinion based, but I'm just saying how things change over time. Some people don't like rap, others don't like country. There are an infinite amount of different tastes and a musician you don't like and think is a nobody may actually make millions of dollars and have a lot of loyal fans. Profit and fans doesn't necessarily have anything to do with quality, but it can mean something. What I have a problem with is when people judge music based on its genre. Someone that doesn't like rap for example won't find any rap songs good and can't distinguish the difference between them all. Usually they don't even recognize it as actual music. There are people that feel this way towards all genres and it is a very ignorant opinion. There can be good and bad country singers, good and bad rock bands, good and bad pop singers, good and bad rappers, and good and bad electronic music artists. There can be quality songs produced by each and just because you don't think it sounds good doesn't mean that it was easy or that there wasn't hard work put into it. Talent can come from all forms of art.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
    Years
    I don't believe the quality of music is based on time of release, but on the musician itself. Today there are many new genres. Some are variations of older genres, while some are brand new. I think there is music today that is not that great, but there always has been, people have just forgot about those artists/songs, just like people probably will of the current bad music today. What is considered good and bad is of course opinion based, but I'm just saying how things change over time. Some people don't like rap, others don't like country. There are an infinite amount of different tastes and a musician you don't like and think is a nobody may actually make millions of dollars and have a lot of loyal fans. Profit and fans doesn't necessarily have anything to do with quality, but it can mean something. What I have a problem with is when people judge music based on its genre. Someone that doesn't like rap for example won't find any rap songs good and can't distinguish the difference between them all. Usually they don't even recognize it as actual music. There are people that feel this way towards all genres and it is a very ignorant opinion. There can be good and bad country singers, good and bad rock bands, good and bad pop singers, good and bad rappers, and good and bad electronic music artists. There can be quality songs produced by each and just because you don't think it sounds good doesn't mean that it was easy or that there wasn't hard work put into it. Talent can come from all forms of art.

Amen. Not a single lie was told in this post.

I agree, I despise The Needle Drop though. His reviews irritate me to no end.

Last edited:

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    My style is music isn't modern, don't like modern stuff, many seem to rip off the good stuff from the past, (like with Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Queen) mix it with other sounds and just sounds so awful.

I also don't listen to oldies either (like The Temptation, Nancy Sinatra, Elvis, the 40's 50's 60's stuff). Too slow and boring for me. I'll respect it, some influenced the music I listen too.

I listen a lot to the 80's and 90's Hard Rock [mainly Shock Rock] and Metal [sub-genres: Thrash Metal, Death Metal, Norwegian Black Metal, & Power Metal]. It's fast, aggressive, really graphic (artwork and lyrics - and all the controversy it caused and the [haters of the] PMRC) and it Rocks - Guitars, Bass, Drums, Vocals.
    [Can't think of more to add right now - I'll probably edit it later when ideas come to my head]

Orifiel

Priestess
    Years
    Well..In Japan old music are suiting to my ears.
    New music.. I kinda love listening to it. Even though all the singers on youtube are great!
    But I have to say that both old & new are the same for me. Great music stays great.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    That said, I can't help also feeling like there was less music being produced in the past. Not to say it was harder to produce music, but the population was smaller and the number of people with disposable income, with the means of listening to music beyond the radio was smaller so there was less call to make music and therefore a greater need to be choosey. Fewer niche genres in the past as well.

I could way off, but that all kind of points me to the idea that there was a bigger percentage of old music that was good compared to today.
    I feel another point to this is that it's easier to make music now with technology as it is now. Much more accessibility - you can buy a program for your computer and make up your own tune, after all. Back 'then', computers were far or few between, and further back weren't even around.

Arguably, that means that there would be a lot more rubbish just from the idea that if there's a lot more people making stuff, there's going to be more subpar quality going through (but that's down to opinion). On the flip side, one can also argue that there's more potential for a new 'great' band to come around.

I suppose I tend to listen to old stuff _more_, but I like checking out new bands. There's certainly good stuff to listen to being made now - you just have to look. =)

Back