• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

must update this soon

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Guys, let's get the comments going again XD

I did this for moments, since he seems this style that I do.
    twenty2_by_gavzxhayley-d3j7v7z.png

This one is meh
    j__adore_la_rouge_by_gavzxhayley-d3j7v5j.png

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • http://i51.tinypic.com/1zow1oy.png
    One thing I feel this piece has that stands out to me the most is the fact you've tried to split it up into two seperate sections, with the bottom more effect heavy than the top. It's a really nice piece you've done. You can really tell it looks space-y if you know what I mean. Like, the effects you've used, especially in the top half are all looking like they've got some sort of space texture to it, which is nice. One thing that really bothers me about this is the text indefinitely. There's just something about it which I really don't like, maybe the bold first letter and the super italicalized (I'm assuming you used two) everything else, and it just irks me for some reason. Also the box doesn't go right to the edge, which I don't know if that was intentional or not, but at first it looks a little weird (I'm growing on it). But ask far as your latest works go, it's probably one of your best. Vivid colours stand out, really nice composition, using the sane render again and again for added depth, it's just putting me in awe.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/169/8/d/twenty2_by_gavzxhayley-d3j7v7z.png
    This is another really nice one, even if you're kind of using moments. gloomy style, which is always nice. One think I noticed first is that the gloomyness you've used actually works with the expression the focal is using. There are nice colours there and lots of wispy smoke effects, which I didn't think I'd see from you. You've made exceptional work of shadowing everything, so you know. :) Text is always a stunner from you Gav, but I feel the placement is weird to me. It seems too central if you know what I mean. From what I've learnt, text also needs to follow a rule of thirds thing, even if it is a large piece. Unless it's like your Two Steps From Hell piece, the text shouldn't really be centralized. But yeah, apart from all that, which is only really personal nitpicking, it's a nice piece you've done here.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Thanks for the cirt Alt. I'll agree on the text for the first, it urked me too. But I dunno if I'll change it. As for the second piece of crit, I want to make it clear that I didn't attempt to go with moments' style...at all. I was simply saying that he'd like it, since he seems to like this part of my style. This is a style I made back in September of last year on some of my icons -
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=6193405&postcount=113
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=6413636&postcount=135

I used the same technique. Anyway, thanks for the crit aside from that. I don't get much comments these days.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Sadly this was taken with a Google Nexus S, phone, so I don't have a very high res version. But I was fishing, and I seen the sky expelling the most beautiful colours, so I stuck around for an hour and caught this one.

i_dont_think_you_care_but____by_gavzxhayley-d3jsfaj.png

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    New piece, made it today, feel free to use it as your wallpaper.

Click it for full size.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Alright, some stuff guys. Nothing special, photography isn't fantastic, mostly just scraps.

Battle with moments. I think people didn't like how I brought out the blacks, but I personally liked the addition.
    34skkrn.png

Digital painting, font isn't mine though.
    10r8l1c.png

Entry to the photography contest, theme was Summer
    Spoiler:

Meh, just gonna throw it in here. Focus is all wrong.
    Spoiler:

Set up, I didn't do much with it though. Didn't have much time.
    Spoiler:

Hand is purposeful, since it's meant to be a splash.
    Spoiler:

Not very good either, it's just gonna be a stock photograph anyway.
    Spoiler:

This is a shot I had to wait for actually. This was the only one I had actual time to take lol. So the rest are just meh, this is the only one I'm happy with.
    Spoiler:

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • I'm not a master of photography, so I'm gonna rate the tags. :P I know you hate tags, but the comments should be applicable for LPs and stuff as well.

First of all, and it is looking to be a bit like a trend for you, whether because you are experimenting more with smudging recently or not, you are soft erasing all around the stock and you've got floating head syndrome in most of your later pieces where applicable. I feel like this tag just doesn't really have that much going for it, like, the stock placement I feel could be a little down and to the right. It is also very flat. You've got the background, and then you've blended the stock in by smudging/erasing all the edges so it doesn't actually technically sit above the background, and then there are no effects over Gaga, so it literally is as flat as could be.

Another thing, the lighter smudging which sort of surrounds Gaga, is very cloudy and thick, and you can't see through it at all, and it is one one shade, so it doesn't provide much eye candy, just sort of covers up the more interesting smudging / star stocks underneath it. Also that pixellated effect, not really sure what you were going for, but because it is restricted purely to the top of the tag, and it isn't situated in specific points of interest in little bursts, it just feels like it is there just because, and if you really wanted to keep it, I'd try and make it more dynamic and keep it only in smaller patches in spots of interest, more around Gaga and under the text.

Lastly, lighting is seemingly non existent which could actually help make it a little less flat. Darkening that bottom right the most, and some vignette going on would help make it pop a lot more, then dodging a tiny bit to really bring out the face.

Overall, quite a weak piece, not really feeling what you've got going on, and while I know you don't really like doing tags, you could definitely try and incorporate more elements / concepts and techniques from your LPs which are generally quite good and use them for your tags. Tags don't have to be smudge/C4D, they can be just small LPs if you want, which I think would help you a bit.

Battle with moments. I think people didn't like how I brought out the blacks, but I personally liked the addition.
    34skkrn.png
    I actually liked the bringing out of blacks on her face, but it was that left side that I felt didn't work. Because you've got such a dark area, with so little happening over it, it literally is empty space, and just feels a little bit too empty.

This tag is quite good, so not as many comments as the last, however again you've got a bit of floating head syndrome from erasing / smudging the stock. If you left the right shoulder in tact and added smudge layers over the top, it would've felt a bit stronger and more cemented down. But yeah, the smudging is very good in this piece, good use of different hues and tones.

One thing that really does lack in this tag is a full commitment to the lighting you started to add. Whether you meant for it or not, you have a fairly harsh white/yellow light source in the top right corner, however you haven't added any lighting to the right side of the face. Some dodging, white / yellow soft brushing on colour dodge / linear dodge on that right side of her face would've just look a little bit more polished, and definitely help blend a little bit more, which could've saved you erasing her hair on that side.

Text is good, could possibly be moved down a few pixels cause it is feeling a tad close to the focal point, but otherwise very good.

Yeah, I've said it before, and you've said it, that you hate tags, but really when making a tag, it should be exactly how you do a LP, just on a smaller canvas. So even if you don't like the small canvas, which is fair enough, you should still use similar polish and tricks if you've got them.

Sorry for being doom and gloom, hope it wasn't too harsh!

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Mhmm, I totally appreciate the comment moom. I only got to reading it now. Been super busy. But yeah, as you know, tags are not my thing. I was practicing smudging alright, but I can't really always apply my LP methods to tags since there's usually more than just one stock image I'm blending when I'm making them. But I'll try. Again though, big thanks.

Aaaand, it's been over a month since I've done graphics, so here's something I eased back into it with this one. I do like it, I just know I need to start doing work again. Sort of a large tag. Not feeling the text, but any recommendations?

Born%20for%20This.png

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • but I can't really always apply my LP methods to tags since there's usually more than just one stock image I'm blending when I'm making them.

Not the actual using more than one stock, but how you actually blend them. Whether you blend one or 10 stocks into a background or each other should be fairly consistent.

Born%20for%20This.png

As for this, 'salright. Agreed on the text, if you want text, go for plain white, no box behind it and play with fonts, I can't really tell what will look good. But also move it down a fraction so it sits between her shoulder, and her elbow (rolled up sleeve creates a little pocket for it to slot in to) because right now, it is a little too close to her face, and it just feels clunky, doesn't really sit nicely in current position.

As for the effects and stuff, 'tis all very good, although that texture of white lines going horizontally, not feeling that at all. Could either get rid of it completely (what I would do), or you can try and erase parts so it isn't so uniformed and dense clusters of them. I'm not sure if this was part of that texture as well, but in the dark space in between the bubbles, it looks quite lq, particularly in that space to her left. Can either do some burning to increase the contrast and just buff it out, or Filter>Noise>Reduce Noise and erase everywhere except the lq bits which should clean it up a little bit.

Finally, around nearly all of Hayley, you've got a solid pixel of white / orange which is ridiculously visible given the dark clothes she's wearing. Not sure if this was just bit of a slack render job or you were going for that effect or what, but it looks a bit distracting and messy. And finally, I'm thinking the canvas is a tad too big in the space over her head. So you could either crop it a bit shorter in height, or move her up a bit depending on how much stock is left. Also she's feeling a little too centred, she could be moved the tiniest fraction to the left so she again, slots into a nicer spot. Think of rule of thirds, she is kind of in the middle, or not quite in the hotspots.

But yeah, mighty comeback to graphics, I had a feeling you'd perform better after such a break. ;)

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Agreed there moom, I actually went with tumblr size, but I might refine it overall. But it was a practice really. Not very proud of it overall. But I appreciate the commento brolio.

Alrighty, new large piece, I got bored of doing boring client stuff at work so I made a more fun piece. Enjoy.

abyss_by_gavzxhayley-d47sl4l.png

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Not feeling this new piece to be honest, it's not that it isn't good, technically, it is quite good, but it is just boring I'm afraid... Basically it just feels incomplete, or just way too generic. Adding a stock to a space scene is nothing original, but if you add your own spin to it, it can be really effective, however I don't feel like you've added enough pazazz to it, not enough to make it pop.
    Also colour wise, not feeling the gloom, I feel because you haven't got that pop I was talking about, you could've made it pop using the colours, and perhaps avoiding that gloomy style you love. Also, those two planets with the magenta and mustard coloured nebula look really out of place cause of the colours. That mustard ain't working I don't think...

Yeah, not your best concept wise, executed quite well, just doesn't feel like you've put the same thought / time into this working in more details and stuff. Also I apologise that comment was so unstructured and stuff, tired / stressed...

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Gotta agree with you there moom, focused too much on technique and no so much on concept. Which is something I'm working on. Currently, I'm working in high resolution for photomanips (6000px each way usually), but my graphics card is slow on my desktop, so is the progress. Those will be done soon. Here's a digi-painting I did today. Used a render as stock/reference.

i_like_assassains_creed_by_gavzxhayley-d49bsd1.png

Here's a massive WIP so it's no where near done. But any suggestions on it so far?
    Blue%20%26%20Purple.png

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • i_like_assassains_creed.png
    This is one of the pieces I am really confused with, especially regarding your concepts, your use of your talent and your understanding of the mediums. Just a first point, isn't digi-painting exactly the same as normal painting but digitally, so using brushes and a tablet to create, what looks like a painting. I have never seen a single 'digi-paint' where the liquify tool was used, at least this obviously...

Leads me to the next point, why did you liquify everything so much!? Honestly, I feel the liquify destroys this whole piece. I don't see the point in it and you've distorted the actual focal itself quite significantly... Not sure if that was what you were going for, but I personally don't understand why, and don't think it looks to good. :(

Finally, but perhaps most importantly, your use of talent man. When I first saw your paintings / drawings, I honestly thought you were just chucking a filter or two over the top so it doesn't look like a photo anymore and looks a little more sketchy and taking the credit for it, I know you are at art college, and working in a graphics place and a respectable artist, so that quickly left my mind. BUT! With skills to draw so accurately, even if using a reference, why don't you work with that, and make really stunning digi paintings. Your reproduction of the Assassins Creed render is ridiculously good, at first I didn't realise it was a digi paint, however, if you have then (like a normal painter) done a sort of realistic background, or at least one that puts the character in context, like a setting from a game, or another place and painted that as well, you would have a stunning piece of art. Yes it would've taken like 4 times as long overall, but honestly, I would've picked that as the logical progression in a digi-paint, and would've really harnessed your painting / drawing abilities and really shown it off. This piece almost hides it.

Sorry that was sort of one way, I don't have any experience in painting, so I can't tell you where to improve technically, but hope that was ok and not too blunt man.

Blue Purple.png
    Lovely WIP Gav! :D
    This isn't going to be a long comment, more just a list of things that I feel could be tweaked before the final product is assumed.

First of all, and the one that jumped to me initially are the, what I assume are brushes rather than pentool, just in the bottom-right corner, the ones that come in front of her. Looking at the rest of the piece, you've got these nice smooth pentooled shapes and lines and stuff, and at least the bird brushes have smooth / crisp edges, but these ones in the bottom right have like a painted feel about them. They aren't bad, just don't really fit with the rest of the piece, in terms of the aesthetic. If you wanted go all all brushed edges, that'd work too, just one or other I'm thinking...

And now the things that are just like technical tweaks, and don't really have any necessary comments to them.
    - Those horizontal lines one the left, just under the palette squares are out by a few pixels in both thickness of line, and space between.
    - That green circle behind her shoulder either needs to be more prominent for the green to be like an effect, an anomaly, otherwise if you want it hidden, it might feel more solid keeping to the blue/pink.
    - The birds have a black duplicate behind them I think to help them stand out / create a sort of shadow, but if you made like actual shadows with gaussian blur on that duplicate, it might look nice!
    - There is a blemish in the texture to the right of her head, between the blue/pink circles which could be taken out with clone tool.
    - Really thin blue lines in the very bottom right feel a little weak, could either be made a lot thicker, at least like the other lines in the piece, or just removed.

But yeah, really nice piece so far, some of those last things I probably didn't need to say as it's a WIP, but just in case you might've missed any / wanted a new perspective.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Do some research dude haha. I didn't use the liquify tool. You see, this piece much like that filter are based on works by Salvador Dali. A famous painter who worked like this a lot and is one of my biggest influences. I actually drew this first, once I get on my desktop I'll upload it and show you. But I can see where you're coming from. My first two paintings weren't that impressive because one was. A reproduction of a screencap. It's a total scrap, just for practice. The other lacked detail. Which is my biggest problem with painting and I'm working on it. I'm disappointed that it came across that I just used a filter on the latest one. I worked a lot with how I wanted it to blend and on colour and detail. It's meant to be really distorted and abstract. If I had the skill in making original characters I would have. But I enjoyed recreating Ezio. I felt my approach was quite good, in terms of personal artistic development. Perhaps my concept lacks substance, but this is a style I want to go for. I'll work on making it so that it seems more original. But I do feel that your inexperience in the area leads to some of your criticism not applying deeper. In saying that, I know what I need to worn on thanks to your comment. But I'm trying to branch out, work more towards illustration, and I'll be working with photomanipulations more soon too.

Anyway, in relation to the work in progress. I really dislike the overall quality, I think that's because of the illustrator swirls which contrast with the pentooling. So I'll work on that. And I'll apply your other suggestions too.

Guess who owes you a gallery comment :) I'll drop one in when I get on my desktop. Just don't be afraid to think apart from what you're used to seeing. And thanks for the comments.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • abyss_by_gavzxhayley-d47sl4l.png

I love this piece, Gav. The colors, the composition, everything! Moo might've said it is kinda easy to create pieces which involve the focal to be situated in space and stuff, but what you've done here is still much better than anything I could've come up with. The only things that bugs me are the planets hovering near her hands. Those seem out of place.

I really like how you've recreated Ezio. The colors are really nice as well. But yeah, like I said on FB, this piece is a little too distorted for my tastes. I don't know much about Salvador (nothing, in fact), but this style isn't really all that appealing to me. Guess I've began liking mainstream stuff too much and its just me..

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • I am very familiar with Dali, did a massive project on him in school and is definitely my favourite traditional artist. I think the point that I was trying to make, but perhaps didn't get out properly is that it doesn't feel like there is any obvious concept here from a removed perspective. Dali's actual subject content was made liquified which had some sort of interpretative meaning behind it, I can't see any sort of underlying messages within making Ezio, and a fairly flat, coloured background liquified. I think what could've worked better in keeping with this style is to have made Ezio more abstract and distorted. The fact that his face and everything is in tact, but only the edges of him are liquified feels a little forced. Also, now taking into consideration your aim, I can definitely appreciate it more and see what you were going for, but the fact that it isn't really fitting to normal codes, the liquify feels forced as well. If you look at Dali's 'The Persistence of Memory' (melting clocks), you see that they still fit into realistic physics, they turn into liquid, and thus fall down under gravity. Your liquifying doesn't seem to fit a code, and feels a little too random and not really structured.

As I said, now that you've mentioned that you were going for abstract, I can definitely appreciate this piece more, but it doesn't have the same obvious and depth that Dali included. And of course he was ridiculously talented, but I feel that if you were trying to reflect elements of his style, this possibly wasn't the clearest / easiest subject and background to work that in to.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    abyss_by_gavzxhayley-d47sl4l.png

I love this piece, Gav. The colors, the composition, everything! Moo might've said it is kinda easy to create pieces which involve the focal to be situated in space and stuff, but what you've done here is still much better than anything I could've come up with. The only things that bugs me are the planets hovering near her hands. Those seem out of place.

I really like how you've recreated Ezio. The colors are really nice as well. But yeah, like I said on FB, this piece is a little too distorted for my tastes. I don't know much about Salvador (nothing, in fact), but this style isn't really all that appealing to me. Guess I've began liking mainstream stuff too much and its just me..
    Well, I guess, as I'm going to say to moom also, is that people see art so differently it's ridiculous. So you might see something in the piece you enjoy that others don't haha. But anyway I'm glad that you like the abyss piece. As for the crit, I'm not happy with the overall concept, but I see what you mean, I just needed to blend it all a bit more, and that's how I was trying to achieve it. But I'll be sure to think about placement in future.

As for the second, I've got some mixed feedback on it. I'm actually quite happy with it, but I guess the concept isn't refined as it could be. In all honesty. And I can see that coming across in some of the replies I've gotten recently. I think my main issue lies in the background. Which I very well may recreate. But thanks for the comments dude, I'm currently working on critting your works that I've not done spoken about already.

I am very familiar with Dali, did a massive project on him in school and is definitely my favourite traditional artist. I think the point that I was trying to make, but perhaps didn't get out properly is that it doesn't feel like there is any obvious concept here from a removed perspective. Dali's actual subject content was made liquified which had some sort of interpretative meaning behind it, I can't see any sort of underlying messages within making Ezio, and a fairly flat, coloured background liquified. I think what could've worked better in keeping with this style is to have made Ezio more abstract and distorted. The fact that his face and everything is in tact, but only the edges of him are liquified feels a little forced. Also, now taking into consideration your aim, I can definitely appreciate it more and see what you were going for, but the fact that it isn't really fitting to normal codes, the liquify feels forced as well. If you look at Dali's 'The Persistence of Memory' (melting clocks), you see that they still fit into realistic physics, they turn into liquid, and thus fall down under gravity. Your liquifying doesn't seem to fit a code, and feels a little too random and not really structured.

As I said, now that you've mentioned that you were going for abstract, I can definitely appreciate this piece more, but it doesn't have the same obvious and depth that Dali included. And of course he was ridiculously talented, but I feel that if you were trying to reflect elements of his style, this possibly wasn't the clearest / easiest subject and background to work that in to.
    It was kind of meant to wave around him, like he was a being with power? I guess. And I admit my concept wasn't great, so I might take out Ezio and do it again with a new background. So I think I'll work on that again.

But if you're looking to get started in digital painting, or want to look into it a bit more, this is a good example; http://donatelladrago.deviantart.com/art/Ariel-Voice-254161652 and reason being is that they take a lot of stocks and adapt them to get their concept across. See how it's not that much different from photomanipulation? When digital painting, things don't have to be 100% solid scratch brushing. But they use a lot of references for poses and such. But the difference between theirs and mine is, that they have a good concept and I didn't haha. Bit anyway, I need to work on my concepts a bit more. I have some in mind but I want to get some stocks organized and get back into graphics before putting my more thought about concepts into practice. So, look forward to those.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Large piece update. A crazy photomanipulation. I want to revise this a little to make the dragon feel a bit more part of the rest. Just not the best stock. ANYWAY, here you go. Click for bigger size.

Back