• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

must update this soon

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    ooooo great stuff. im use 1 of your scizor pics as my avatar :)
    Thanks, but you can't use my work or anyone's work for that matter, without permission, and if you are allowed, you must add credit. You didn't ask, but I will let you use it if you add credit.

7Mufasa7

Velohsytea
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    ohhh my bad. i didnt know that. sorry.

how do i add credit??

on my signature?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/268/8/5/heart_of_a_dragon_by_gavzxhayley-d4av6v9.png
    After reading your thoughts on this and looking at it myself I thought the dragon stood out way too much than it should be. I think you'd need to blend it in more with the current scene so it looks more realistic in a sense, since you're trying for a photomanip. Another thing that sticks out is that it seems like the stuff you're working with on this is one of those very fine lines between being realistic, such as a dragon in a live action movie, and more of a very detailed animation, and I don't like it personally. It works, but I don't like it. Maybe you could try leaning more one way or the other for this?

But it's an amazing piece. I'm thinking some of the colours, especially in the clouds could be more dull, or desaturated, but it's nice.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    I actually have no idea what you mean by the second part of the critique. I don't think it looks too realistic, it was more of the direction of gaming graphics than anything. I didn't intend it to look realistic, as photo-manipulations allow you to go wild. But I appreciate the comments!

Anyway, here's something I did during my lunch break for college. It's massive, so click for the full resolution.

Pharetra

zzzz
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2024
    I actually have no idea what you mean by the second part of the critique. I don't think it looks too realistic, it was more of the direction of gaming graphics than anything. I didn't intend it to look realistic, as photo-manipulations allow you to go wild. But I appreciate the comments!

Anyway, here's something I did during my lunch break for college. It's massive, so click for the full resolution.

Well, let's start by saying I find this work to be really nice. The idea is pretty unique and it draws my attention, which is probably the main goal of this design. I really like the contrast between the dark, green colours of the grenade and the light, vivid colours of everything surrounding the grenade.

The only thing I don't really like is the text "1970's".
    In my opinion, the text is not that easy to read, probably due to the chosen pattern. I'd give the text some outlines, whether it be a stroke, a glow or shadows, but I tend to use outlines for the texts I type.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I do concur with Blake on the point that the dragon does not fit in with the actual scenery, and I do believe the cause of that could be the light sourcing on the dragon, it's all wrong. If you pay close attention to the direction of the light that hits the castle and compare that to the fact that the light sourcing on the dragon approaches from the opposite direction, then you'll see why both the entity and the scenery contrast with each other rather than slot in.

What you could have done was add shadowing to the dragon to make sure it complies with the light source, that and tweak the reflection on the water a little more to make it seem more convincing, because right now I can see that the actual reflection you tried to make is very iffy in perspective—I don't believe that much of its physique should have been shown on the water.

Picture its 3D image in your mind, and try to picture yourself positioned under it. You'll see that the only thing that you really needed to make note of on the water was a shadow cast by the angle of which you see beneath it, such as its legs and the way its tail would cascade down towards you. I understand that this isn't a drawing and trying to emphasise these things with a single clipping can be terribly difficult, so it would have been a good alternative to just cast a shadow below the area of water that it covers.

rock.png

I also noticed a bit of the white in the image coming through on the rock. Not quite sure if this was intentional or not, but it appears to be more of a mistake that should be erased.

I can understand that photo-manipulations don't necessarily need to stay traditional in the sense that everything should fit like a painting, surrealism does enhance an image and make it interesting. However, the fact that everything in an art piece needs to fit in together somehow is still just as relevant in surrealism, and to do that while enchanting your audience with the impression that it's out of the norm is clearly a sign that you're paying very careful attention to whatever piece of art you're trying to assemble.

Sorry to say that I don't particularly share Blake's enthusiasm about the direction of your work. I think it's fascinating that you're willing to experiment with more realistic elements of an image and there is nothing wrong with trying different things, even if they don't appeal to all audiences. It's not always about what the image itself contains, it's also about how the graphic artist sells it that can affect the reception given on it by their audience.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Just to go back to the dragon piece on everyone saying realistic, I feel the same way, but realistic is not the word. It doesn't have to be realistic, but what is coming across is that the dragon is too obviously not part of the original image. It sticks out and is obvious you have added it in there. So blending is what the piece needs overall.
    With the reflection as well, Signomi's idea for the shadow is a good one, but either way, it needs to be way smaller. The dragon is quite a bit above the water, so physics says it wouldn't be that big cause of perception or whatever, but yeah.

Also, I feel the background mountains are like almost vector looking. Not sure if intentional, or product of heaps of adjustments and blurring and stuff, but I don't think it feels as good with the 'photo' like qualities of the rest of the piece.

And I think the colours could be more cold, they are sort of too pink everywhere, either bring out the warmth heaps and get more reds and blacks in there, or go cold. You are sort of stuck in the awkward middle of cold with some beefy pinks.

As for the new piece, the ridiculously large resolution one, it looks really good in the small view. But when you go full size, that's when you see the little things. So part of me wonders if you were working at it, alternating between full size and a more general size, or just whatever fit your screen. Things like white pixels around the flowers where they have been rendered a little sloppily, the giraffe mane looking a little clunky (although I know hair is a pain in the butt, but if you are going to make the resolution so large, it becomes really obvious and if you aren't going to add extra effort to really make it perfect, then don't go with the massive resolution.)

But the main one that is both distracting, a silly mistake which just seems to be missed because you didn't work with it in full size, is this white splatter / pixel line over the Toucan. You can only see it if you go full size, but it is actually quite distracting, and just looks really sloppy.

I'm also not a fan of the text. The clipping mask / overlay is a little cheap looking, doesn't feel to nice and crisp and is a little difficult to read, just because it really blends in with the hectic colours and patterns behind it. I'd go just a solid colour, but yeah, needs some tweaking.

Lastly, the background being just solid grey I think is a little bland. It just feels too empty in comparison to the focus in the middle. Yes you want to draw attention to the actual content, but a quiet pattern or texture overlay would look nice, just to make it a little more homey and less sort of antiseptic almost. It is like too smooth, too pristine.

But yeah, quite good, definitely one of your best pieces, but just be wary of working in the big resolutions. Everything is like 10x more obvious. :P

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Well, let's start by saying I find this work to be really nice. The idea is pretty unique and it draws my attention, which is probably the main goal of this design. I really like the contrast between the dark, green colours of the grenade and the light, vivid colours of everything surrounding the grenade.

The only thing I don't really like is the text "1970's".
    In my opinion, the text is not that easy to read, probably due to the chosen pattern. I'd give the text some outlines, whether it be a stroke, a glow or shadows, but I tend to use outlines for the texts I type.
    Hmm, the text does have a stroke, I could have went with something darker but I felt it would have been to out of place. But thanks, I'll take that into account. And thanks for the kind comments.

I do concur with Blake on the point that the dragon does not fit in with the actual scenery, and I do believe the cause of that could be the light sourcing on the dragon, it's all wrong. If you pay close attention to the direction of the light that hits the castle and compare that to the fact that the light sourcing on the dragon approaches from the opposite direction, then you'll see why both the entity and the scenery contrast with each other rather than slot in.

What you could have done was add shadowing to the dragon to make sure it complies with the light source, that and tweak the reflection on the water a little more to make it seem more convincing, because right now I can see that the actual reflection you tried to make is very iffy in perspective—I don't believe that much of its physique should have been shown on the water.

Picture its 3D image in your mind, and try to picture yourself positioned under it. You'll see that the only thing that you really needed to make note of on the water was a shadow cast by the angle of which you see beneath it, such as its legs and the way its tail would cascade down towards you. I understand that this isn't a drawing and trying to emphasise these things with a single clipping can be terribly difficult, so it would have been a good alternative to just cast a shadow below the area of water that it covers.

rock.png

I also noticed a bit of the white in the image coming through on the rock. Not quite sure if this was intentional or not, but it appears to be more of a mistake that should be erased.

I can understand that photo-manipulations don't necessarily need to stay traditional in the sense that everything should fit like a painting, surrealism does enhance an image and make it interesting. However, the fact that everything in an art piece needs to fit in together somehow is still just as relevant in surrealism, and to do that while enchanting your audience with the impression that it's out of the norm is clearly a sign that you're paying very careful attention to whatever piece of art you're trying to assemble.

Sorry to say that I don't particularly share Blake's enthusiasm about the direction of your work. I think it's fascinating that you're willing to experiment with more realistic elements of an image and there is nothing wrong with trying different things, even if they don't appeal to all audiences. It's not always about what the image itself contains, it's also about how the graphic artist sells it that can affect the reception given on it by their audience.
    Yeeeah, that piece has a lot of errors, in lighting mostly. I said earlier it was a WIP, and now I don't feel like finishing it haha. However, if I do, I'll take your comments to photoshop and apply them. Thanks Sig!

Just to go back to the dragon piece on everyone saying realistic, I feel the same way, but realistic is not the word. It doesn't have to be realistic, but what is coming across is that the dragon is too obviously not part of the original image. It sticks out and is obvious you have added it in there. So blending is what the piece needs overall.
    With the reflection as well, Signomi's idea for the shadow is a good one, but either way, it needs to be way smaller. The dragon is quite a bit above the water, so physics says it wouldn't be that big cause of perception or whatever, but yeah.

Also, I feel the background mountains are like almost vector looking. Not sure if intentional, or product of heaps of adjustments and blurring and stuff, but I don't think it feels as good with the 'photo' like qualities of the rest of the piece.

And I think the colours could be more cold, they are sort of too pink everywhere, either bring out the warmth heaps and get more reds and blacks in there, or go cold. You are sort of stuck in the awkward middle of cold with some beefy pinks.

As for the new piece, the ridiculously large resolution one, it looks really good in the small view. But when you go full size, that's when you see the little things. So part of me wonders if you were working at it, alternating between full size and a more general size, or just whatever fit your screen. Things like white pixels around the flowers where they have been rendered a little sloppily, the giraffe mane looking a little clunky (although I know hair is a pain in the butt, but if you are going to make the resolution so large, it becomes really obvious and if you aren't going to add extra effort to really make it perfect, then don't go with the massive resolution.)

But the main one that is both distracting, a silly mistake which just seems to be missed because you didn't work with it in full size, is this white splatter / pixel line over the Toucan. You can only see it if you go full size, but it is actually quite distracting, and just looks really sloppy.

I'm also not a fan of the text. The clipping mask / overlay is a little cheap looking, doesn't feel to nice and crisp and is a little difficult to read, just because it really blends in with the hectic colours and patterns behind it. I'd go just a solid colour, but yeah, needs some tweaking.

Lastly, the background being just solid grey I think is a little bland. It just feels too empty in comparison to the focus in the middle. Yes you want to draw attention to the actual content, but a quiet pattern or texture overlay would look nice, just to make it a little more homey and less sort of antiseptic almost. It is like too smooth, too pristine.

But yeah, quite good, definitely one of your best pieces, but just be wary of working in the big resolutions. Everything is like 10x more obvious. :P
    Ah, okay, I knew the dragon needed work, though I thought I got away with the background. I might just edit them with some brushing and draw in some details. And thanks for recommendation on the reflection.

As for the large resolution, I learned at work that it doesn't matter how choppy things look, because you're never going to scale it that way, not even in printing. It would be scaled down then blown up, so you wouldn't notice those details, I was just too lazy to scale it down haha. And I noticed that splatter later, I forgot to clean it. Since I was on a lunch break I didn't have too much time, though I'll fix it in revision. I'll consider something else for the text, but plain colour is mundane here, so I'll try do something with more clarity. And the background, hmm, I guess I didn't think about that, I was pretty happy to leave it plain, but now that you say it I might make a pattern.

Don't worry too much about the size, it was intended to be scaled down. I just work like this now. You wouldn't believe how sloppy professional graphics artists are when it comes to high res, only because they can be. And I've taken a page out of their book.

Thanks for the comments guys, I should have some new pieces up this week, got some concepts in mind.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Here's a bunch of stuff.

Battle%20entry.png

Heresy.png

TotF entry "Thinking outside the box" - Just tried to do something different to what I'm used to and used to seeing.
    Justa%20Junkie.png

Testing junk below, don't really count them as final pieces, not really happy with them.

Squiggle.png

Collage2.png

girls_on_film_by_gavzxhayley-d4cbixm.png

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Click for full size.
    Digital drawing/painting, scratch etc. etc.
    I like the composition, I think I want to develop a better style however.

Years
  • http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE...op_the_whole_world_by_gavzxhayley-d4e1iwv.png

I'll be cool and comment in your gallery. YOU NEED SOME, GAV. <3

Anyway, I was amazed at this piece! I love the coloring you used for it. =] Was this made completely by scratch? o..o That's pretty accurate to the real picture of her, it's amazing!

Sinner.png

I gotta say, not something I see everyday, but that's pretty cool.

Spoiler:

That was pretty cool, too. My only comments on this piece is the "ICE CREAM" text and the pink colored bus (?) behind the girl. I mean, you could leave it, but I probably would have changed the pink to the light, orange color you used in your text. I'm sorry for no suggestions on the font use, I just think the font was weird looking with the cute, curly text over it.

Oh wow, that's really cool, Gav! =D
    I looking over this because the works I usually like from you have the red/red-orange and blue coloring, and the purple colors are a nice change. ^..^

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • girls on film
    Actually quite like the collage / scrap book style used in this with the stocks and colours used. However, I am not feeling the text at all (except for the bit in the very top left because it doesn't stand out too much and the font compliments the piece.) I feel like the text is too forced because of the font choices, they are default and cheap feeling, being fonts I can recognise as ones that rarely get used because they are somewhat too novelty, not simple, but not quite decorative enough.

Anyways, I'd like to see the piece finished, you've got a lot to like included within it (including a butt load of rendering which would've proven time consuming and a lot more work than is given credit for.)

As for that piece you got professionally done in the public stand, not too much to say. Given it was accepted and printed to be used in a public display, one would assume it is of a high standard, and it is. Congrats on the achievement though, well deserved. ;)

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • possess.png
    Bearing in mind that this piece was made for ToTF under the theme 'Colour', I have to give you props for the good colour palette, and the good use of vibrant colours. However, for me, there are some things that really irk me about the piece. The first one, and definitely the clincher, the pixellated / low quality shapes down the bottom of the canvas. I don't know if you started with the shapes clean like the others and then decided to change, or whether it happened accidentally and you decided to keep it, but I really feel it detracts from the overall aesthetic of really clean, almost vector-like qualities. It doesn't draw attention to itself, but it definitely looks out of place.

The other things are just minor, likely subjective things, but things I feel I should mention regardless. The invert effect over the eye I am not at all feeling. Perhaps if the positioning of the piece was different, but that is pretty much the hot spot for the tag, and personally, I don't feel as if it fits in as well as it could.
    The other thing is just the little bit of text in the bottom left corner which I don't know why is there. Whether part of the stock or added by yourself, it feels unnecessary and a little random.

Batmansmall.png
    I don't have quite as much depth to say on this piece because it is a lot stronger overall, and many of the comments, again, may be personal opinion, so take it if you will, otherwise pay no attention to them.

I feel this stock really lends itself to dark, cold colours and can imagine the piece being more solid if the reds were replaced with blue hues. Maybe an alternate version perhaps, but I wouldn't have picked red were I working with the stock / effects you used.
    Next, I think the text is a little too close to his chin. The typo is good, but positioning I believe can definitely afford to be moved down a little bit, and just give the stock room.
    Lastly, I'd have liked to see some more depth, particularly in the foreground effects. And that empty patch just above + to the right of the text actually slightly draws attention for being so empty, just chuck some nebula effects or more C4Ds in there to fill it up a little bit.

But yeah, nice works, just things that irked me. Again, feel free to ignore. <3

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Very nice concept with this one Gav, just not feeling the execution so much. Particularly the quality of most of the piece. Besides the stocks you've listed, everything else is quite low quality: pixellated and whatnot. Either the cloud stocks you used were crappy quality, or they got messed up in the process but it honestly detracts from the piece. It just makes the whole thing feel unpolished.

Next up, there are some clouds that are slightly blue. I don't really understand why you've chosen to add this in. It doesn't look terrible or anything, but if you are going to have colour, why make the rest black and white? It doesn't work fantastically as a colour splash, because it is so unsaturated. I can see some potential in playing with the tones of different clouds, specifically the ones you made blue, but do so using levels, or dodge/burn instead of the blue tint.

A few smaller things which just feel cheaply done. That floating skeleton to the right just looks weird there by itself, and the edges aren't sharp and just gets lost. Same with the gravestones regarding soft edges, I can understand the clouds/smoke making it less crisp, but it looks soft erased, particularly the left side of the right gravestone. The two skeletons either side of the reaper as duplicates feels cheap as well. Not so much because they are duplicated, but because you haven't noticeably edited the lighting / shading on them. You do have light coming from both sides, but a few adjustments would've been nice. Lastly, the clouds/smoke on the immediate top edge of the big floating skull are really sharp and don't really look like clouds/smoke. Looks like you magic wand selected and deleted without soft brushing or anything like that. Also a fleck on the top edge, towards the right side with the same problem.

Lastly, and maybe equally as clinching as the quality issues are the tones / contrast and the depth, or lack thereof. The big skull at the top has good contrast and nice dark tones, but the rest of the piece is too grey for me. Because you lack this contrast (I'm not even talking a lot, you just need to bring it up a smidgen) you lost a lot of depth and the piece feels flat. You could alternatively get a big (200px~) soft brush with the burn tool and burn some of the darker areas, also the closest clouds to us on either side of the canvas, and then use the dodge tool as well to bring out the highlights more. Also, using the blur tool a tiny bit on some of the foreground / background clouds wouldn't hurt either.

Overall, it's a really good concept, really good choice and use of the stocks from shutter stock. Though, it makes me question your use of all the other stocks / effects not listed and where you got them, why they lack the same quality, stuff like that. Other than that, the rest can very easily be fixed in a couple of layers and doesn't need too much deleting and rejigging.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Thanks as always moom.
    I have a bunch of other stuff, but I'm too lazy to go find it all. Just some stuff from my new found activity on Fringe.

This is for a battle over there, I'm currently winning 6-2.
    creep.png

Pixel art tag for TotW over there. I've gotten one vote, almost twenty entries and it just opened today. But I don't think I'll win anyway. Some amazing tags up.
    fade..png

Last edited:
    Back