• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen My eyes have been opened! Have yours?

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    I played through the original Gold again yesterday and I, for the first time, actually leveled up and used the Togepi you get. I had never used it before it always just sat in my PC, but yesterday I decided to use it and it has now become one of my favorite Pokemon. It evolved into a Togetic by Lv 20 and it, by itself, beat the entire Kanto section of the game. By the time I had beat Red it was level 71 and I started with him at level 5 after I beat the elite 4. I will definitely bring this Pokemon up on my Heart Gold now and will definitely be on future teams.

Do you have similar stories of when playing through Heart Gold or Soul Silver that you discover a Pokemon that you have never trained before or maybe never even caught, but once you trained it you came to really love it?

Which Pokemon was it and why did you decide to train it?

Sire

Making Flareon Own You
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    My Politoed.

I use to think it was a worthless pile of nothing, but after recently needing a Water-type and wanting originality I decided to raise it and I absolutely love it. It got me out of some amazingly tight situations with Perish Song.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • i decided to catch a flaaffy because i never had one on any of my teams before. it is now an Ampharos and it is my current favorite of my team.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Wow, if you thought Togepi was good in Gold/Silver, take a look in HGSS!

Togekiss exists, for one, and it gets 60% flinchax with Air Slash/Serene Grace, as well as awesome coverage with Vacuum Wave and 20% Ancientpower. Finish off the set with a neat Magical Leaf for awesome coverage.

Dempa

Fire Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • Decided with my first playthrough of HeartGold I would pick up a Zubat.
    It's now at level 31 and evolved all the way into a Crobat :).
    Although I have never had a Poison Pokemon on my team, I've realised how strong some can be.

MASTERBOSSgodora

The Songbird of My Generation
    Years
  • 2 of my level 100's are like that - my crobat and my lapras. but how long did that take you? 1 day to get it to level 71? I also have a magmortar like that, but it's only level 75 now. I had been training only grass types before on my platinum, but then Cyrus kept killing me with his Weavile so I needed a fire type so I caught a Magmar. It's now better than my Tropius, Torterra, and Tangrowth - the 3 strongest pokemon I had at that time.

Years
  • I think for me, it would be Togepi as well, as when it hatched all my other pokemon were around level 15, so I decided to train it up, and now I've discovered that it can learn some pretty good attacks. Plus its good in the Pokeathelon

Buh

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2014
    I deliberately based my team around this. I bred babies of species I'd never really bothered with and traded them over right at the start.

I can't believe I ignored Lickitung for so long. She's so pink and fat and deadly! She destroys everything with belly drum, rollout, body slam and giga impact. I haven't even got around to improving the moveset she had at birth, because I don't need to!
    Also, her name is Lady Gaga and EVERY SINGLE ONE of her statuses is hilarious. 'Lady Gaga is pulling on your clothes like she wants to play!'

I had no idea how Turtwig as going to turn out. Turns out it had a habit of dying to everything... until Torterra. Torterra destroys EVERYTHING. I'm sorry I doubted her.

Electivire was another surprise. I had an Electabuzz in Gen I, sure, but he's come a long way in the last ten years. Nothing can withstand his power.

Ponyta and Horsea, again, die to absolutely everything, until their ridiculously late evolutions kick in. Hypnotic bouncing flaming poison unicorn is the best. And Seadra is well and truly pulling his weight. I can't wait to see how much better he gets in his final stage.

Again, Scyther has gained a lot since Gen I. Gone are the days of having impressive stats and nothing to do with them. Scizor has been taking on things ten levels higher and coming out on top.

Also, because three of its four attacks POWER HIM UP, Ponyta is an excellent Ho-oh killer. That's right, Studcakes straight up murdered an entire species. That's how metal he is.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    I deliberately based my team around this. I bred babies of species I'd never really bothered with and traded them over right at the start.

That is a really cool idea! I am going to try that on my Soul Silver playthrough.

I am thinking of using:

Delibird or Meganium
    Granbull
    Ampharos
    Scizor
    Slowking
    Houndoom

I have never used any of these Pokemon. It makes the game seem more fresh and new when using Pokemon that you have never used before. I gets boring and repetitive after a while when I recycle the same teams or variations of it game after game.

how long did that take you? 1 day to get it to level 71?

Yeah I played an unhealthy amount of probably about 8 hours straight....I thought my brain was going to melt out my ears when I finished. Also I challenged the Elite 4 several times with it and I battle every trainer and never run from wild encounters, so it ends up going pretty quickly. Also it has 800,000 Base EXP so it levels rather quickly anyways.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I like this thread! I was thinking about how making my team was difficult for me at first because I didn't have much experience with 1st and 2nd generation pokemon, since I started playing in the 3rd gen (I played FireRed, but I wasn't very good at it at the time, and my team was very basic and boring).

I was having so much trouble with Nidoqueen when I evolved her. All she had was lousy Double Kick(30 attack power, lame!), Poison Sting (like freaking 15 or 20 attack power?), Bite (decent, but still...), and I taught her Attract, because unfortunately she has the ability Rivalry and not Poison Point.

So I was feeling quite frustrated with her because earlier in the game she could skate by with these moves, but it was obviously becoming difficult to train her when the battles took so long due to the crappy moves. Finally, she leveled up and learned Superpower to replace Double Kick, I found the tm Poison Jab from Platinum and traded that over, and she learned Earth Power to take advantage of her new ground dual type.

Basically she's one of my strongest physical attackers, and she can actually take hits even though her defense/spec. def. stats aren't the best.

The 2nd love of mine is actually the same as the first person's...the Togepi line! I too never gave that egg thing a second thought when I received it in the past (I think I was playing FireRed and got it, but it just sat in the PC).

This time around I decided to be a little different (in the original slot was Raticate, but its defense was just way too low to survive anything). I got the egg and power-leveled it up a bit to get it around the same level as the others. Holy crap this thing is amazing. It's so cute and it looks like a tube of aquafresh toothpaste got squirted out. The moveset potential is sweet...special STAB Airslash, special fighting Aurasphere, healing Wish! (although I kinda needed someone to learn a fire move, so I taught it Flamethrower).

Sorry to go on for too long but I pretty much love my entire team, and I never thought I'd use them together.

Last edited:

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Magmar.......which is now a Magmortar.

Fire blast has saved me plenty of times (until he learns flamethrower)

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    My eyes have been opened! Have yours?

And I thought Slowbro is awesome, but damn, this guy is a freaking beast. Psychic + Surf + STAB + cool Sp.Atk + Calm Mind= Sup
    My Yadon OHKO'd/2HKO'd every Pokémon he faced. :D

Glad I changed my mind on using Tentacruel. (I still prefer it over Slowking by a bit.)

Panique

BUGSY IS GAY FOR METAPOD
    Years
  • Hmmm...

Swinub, training to Mamoswine!
    Togetic!
    Butterfree! I don't ever remember using a bug Pokemon in my main party before.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Togekiss is the MVP in my party. I've never used a Togepi before, but since it learns Extrasensory as an Egg move, it epically owned. The series of moves before its evolution was even more impressive:
    "Togepi used Metronome! Togepi used Aeroblast!"
    "Togepi used Metronome! Togepi used Psycho Boost!"
    "Foe Pokémon fainted!"
    "What's this? Your Pokémon is evolving!"
    Now, it's a Togekiss with Aura Sphere, Psychic, AncientPower, and Fly. It owns.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Hmm....

Well, most of my first team (I restarted after Blue's Gym).

-Marowak.I didn't realise it, but it kicks ass without Thick Club, so when I went to Kanto, I just used that and Politoed (who I was desperate for)
    -Dialga!Seriously, I mean, I used it to take on Ho-oh (on SoulSilver, so lv.70) when it was only Lv.44! Those resistances are just, well, epic. It's the only dragon that resists dragons, so I used it against Claire.
    -Snorlax! I thought the physical/special split had ruined it, particularly with how it faired on Platinum, but he's still an absolute beast! That HP stat meant he could actually survive a Return off Blue's Pidgeot and OHKO back with Giga Impact!
    Pidgeot-Blue's wupped me.
    And on my current runthrough...

Geodude!!! I levelled it up until it learned Rock Throw, and it kicks ass!!!
    Falkner was beaten even faster than the last time, as 2 rock polishes meant it couldn't be outsped!
    And with Bugsy, who I got pwnd by 1st time, that Rock Polish+Throw combo took out his Scyther in 2 turns!

Yeah, I reckon Geodude rules!

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2010
    I started usin' this Gengar at level 42 and it just rocks.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2010
    i never really paid attention to caterpe or most bug pokemon because they evole so quickly but now i have a level 30 butterfree

Back