• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My First Fan Fiction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dominator 2000

The Dominator
    Years
    Damian's Pokemon Trail

Chapter One.

When a sixteen year old named Damian was washing up his body in a lake nearby his cabin, he saw a Bulbasaur watching him so he looked at it and it suddenly ran away. Damian got out of the lake and walked inside his cabin to freshin up.

When Damian walked outside his cabin, he was wearing a black necklace, a blue shirt, and black shorts with white shoes. Later when he was walking along a trail, he saw the same Bulbasaur standing in front of him.

Damian walked along passed Bulbasaur and kept on walking on the trail. When he took a break by sitting on a tree stump, he saw the Bulbasaur again. The Bulbasaur walked towards him and rubbed its body against his leg.

Damian rubbed Bulbasaurs head with his hand. He smiled at Bulbasaur and told him to come with him on the trail. When they were walking along the trail for hours, they felt getting hot and Bulbasaurs bulb on its back was getting on fire.

Damian grabbed Bulbasaur and put it around his hands so it can get cooler. Bulbasaur was getting hotter so he ran as fast as he could. When he was running he saw a girl with a Charmander so he went to talk to her about his Bulbasaur.

The girl told Damian that his Bulbasaur was burnt so him and the girl went inside her cabin to get something to heal Bulbasaurs burn. After the girl healed Bulbasaur, she gave Damian two pokeballs.

Damian looked at the girl in a confused way and she told him that she was giving him a spare Charmander to keep for himself and she also told him that he should keep his pokemon in a safe place so they wont get hurt like what Bulbasaur got burnt.

Damian went outside of the girls cabin and put Charmander and Bulbasaur inside their pokeballs and waved a goodbye to the girl while he was walking on the same trail. When he was still on the trail, it suddenly ended into a clear body of water.

Damian was looking around the body of water to see if there was a bridge or a boat. He saw a bridge so he went on it but it had to many peices of wood out but he kept on walking on the bridge.

When Damian was walking on the bridge, a piece of wood broke on his feet and then he fell through the bridge. He landed in the water but got saved by a Squirtle. He was on the Squirtles shell and then the Squirtle got him back were he came from safely.

to be continued...

Last edited:

~Night

~!~Miss Cow~!~
    Years
    Well, it's kind of random.
    Your fic is really short. You should make it at least 1 1/2 pages long on microsoft word.
    Add some dialog. It's a little boring if stuff just happens and no one speaks.
    What does the girl look like? What is the girl's name?

~!~Miss Cow~!~

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Side tip: You may want to come up with a title soon. Outright saying that something is your first fanfiction usually tends to scream "fresh meat."

Anyway, quoted review. Any corrections I make along the way will be in bold.

When a sixteen-year-old

The reason why I added the hyphens is because the term actually serves as one word. If you said he was sixteen years old, yes, that would be separate, but here, you're actually using the term as a single noun.

named Damian was washing his body

Drop the "up" here. Otherwise, you conjure the image of someone literally washing up onto shore.

in a lake near his cabin, he saw a Bulbasaur watching him. He looked at it, and it suddenly ran away.

First off, this would be a run-on sentence if you didn't put a period in the middle. What that basically means is you attempted to string together more than two independent clauses (phrases that could stand as their own sentences) into one long sentence, thus forming a bit of a mess that you should avoid.

Second, a compound sentence requires a comma before the conjunction. That is, if both parts of the sentence can stand on their own and make sense as individual sentences, then you most likely have a compound on your hands. Hence, you need to punctuate it appropriately.

Damian got out of the lake and walked inside his cabin to freshen up.

It's highly recommended that you spell check your work before submitting it to avoid spelling errors (such as freshin instead of freshen). It's also a little strange that he just got done washing himself in the lake... only to wash himself again in the cabin.

When Damian walked outside his cabin, he was wearing a black necklace, a blue shirt, black shorts, and white shoes.

Unless the shorts were attached to the shoes somehow.

Also, while this is a start with description, I feel you could do a lot more. Right now, for example, we don't know what Damian looks like other than what he's wearing. Remember that the reader can't read your mind, so all we've got to go on is the descriptions you give us. In order to give us a full experience, I'd say try describing what the character looks like in terms of physical appearance beyond clothing. Eyes, hair, that sort of thing. And I'd recommend trying to integrate it a little better so you don't smack the reader over the head with it. Maybe describe the color and style of his hair as he runs his hand through it, for example.

Later when he was walking along a trail, he saw the same Bulbasaur standing in front of him.

How did he know it was the same Bulbasaur? Any particular markings? That's the sort of thing we, as readers, would like to know.

Damian walked along past Bulbasaur and kept on walking on the trail.

I'd recommend reading your work aloud as you proofread it. Sometimes, you can catch awkward sentences that way.

This particular piece feels a little redundant. We know Damian is on the trail, we know he passed Bulbasaur, and we know he's walking. (Incidentally, "passed" is a verb, whereas "past" is a location. You're referring to a location in the quote above, not the verb.) Yet, the part after "and" seems to state the same thing as the part before it. I would recommend rearranging the sentence so that it states this only once. Maybe try something along the lines of, "Damian walked passed Bulbasaur and down the trail." That way, you can at least state that he's walking past Bulbasaur and is on the trail without having to state "kept on."

When he took a break by sitting on a tree stump, he saw the Bulbasaur again. The Bulbasaur walked towards him and rubbed its body against his leg.

...A wild Pokemon just wandered towards a human and inexplicably started rubbing itself against his leg? It seems a little convenient to me, especially since wild animals don't tend to approach human beings for no apparent reason.

Damian rubbed Bulbasaur's head with his hand. He smiled at Bulbasaur and told him to come with him on the trail.

I agree with Miss Cow here. You could do a lot with this scene -- namely, extend it into dialogue. This is an important moment for Damian, so you really don't want to just summarize it in literally two sentences.

When they were walking along the trail for hours, they felt they were getting hot, and Bulbasaur's bulb

We really don't need to know the bulb is on its back. Assume that your readers are also Pokemon fans, which means they know the more obvious details of a Pokemon, such as the basic appearance of an average Bulbasaur.

was catching on fire.

?!!

Um, I'm sorry, but I'm really finding it hard to believe that a non-Fire-type just spontaneously combusted. O_o Seriously, how did that happen?

(As a note, no, plants do not spontaneously combust. Heat and lack of humidity combined make it easier for a plant to catch on fire, but there needs to be some extreme conditions combined with the initial spark in order for an actual blaze to occur.)

Damian grabbed Bulbasaur and put it around his hands so it can get cooler.

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by "put it around his hands." You may want to rephrase that so that the image is clearer.

Additionally, if something the size of a Bulbasaur suddenly caught on fire, I think all this would do is burn Damian's hands.

Bulbasaur was getting hotter, so he ran as fast as he could. When he was running, he saw a girl with a Charmander, so he went to talk to her about his Bulbasaur.

Again, you could lengthen all of this, starting with a description of the girl (as in, yes, what she looks like, even if it's just some brief details) and going into dialogue that shows the reader not only what is being said but also the reaction both characters have to each other. I'd imagine that the girl would be fairly shocked to see a Bulbasaur on fire, and this may affect how she behaves around Damian, who is apparently (to her) Bulbasaur's trainer.

The girl told Damian that his Bulbasaur was burnt

Yeah, hopefully, dialogue would be able to add more to the girl's reaction so it looks like she's not just stating the obvious here.

so him and the girl went inside her cabin to get something to heal Bulbasaur's burn. After the girl healed Bulbasaur, she gave Damian two Poke Balls.

"Poke Ball" is actually two words. Additionally, if you're going to capitalize Pokemon species names when using them as common nouns (such as a Charmander or a Bulbasaur), then you should really capitalize all things related to Pokemon, including Pokemon items.

Damian looked at the girl with a confused expression, and she told him that she was giving him a spare Charmander to keep for himself.

Why? O_o He just came to her with a burning Bulbasaur, so most likely, he looks like an abusive and careless trainer right about now.

She also told him that he should keep his Pokemon in a safe place so they won't get hurt the way Bulbasaur got burnt.

"Like what" is not a good way to describe similar situations. The phrase is slang, so you really only hear it in dialogue.

Damian went outside of the girl's cabin,

Incidentally, if you're showing a possessive (a noun belonging to another noun), you need to put an apostrophe in the noun that owns the other noun. For example, the cabin belongs to the girl, so therefore, you need to say "the girl's cabin," not "the girls cabin." Leaving out the apostrophe forms a plural, which means you're saying that it's a cabin for multiple females.

For plural possessives, the apostrophe comes after the S, rather than before. For example, if multiple girls owned the cabin, it would be "the girls' cabin."

Lastly, you don't need a possessive with pronouns. A cabin belonging to a creature with no gender is "its cabin," not "it's cabin." (The reason why is because "it's" is a contraction for "it is.") A cabin belonging to a female would be "her cabin," not "her's cabin."

See what I mean?

Also, I dropped the and right after where I cut off the quote in order to make a list.

put Charmander and Bulbasaur inside their Poke Balls, and waved a goodbye to the girl.

Dropped the part about the trail because you mention him being on the trail again in the next sentence.

He saw a bridge, so he went on it. However, it had too

To = preposition. A verb or a noun always follows the word in reference to either a place or something that is being done.

Too = number. An abundance of things. i.e. The word you want.

Two = number. Just one more than one thing and one less than three. Four is out of the question.

That is, homophones are just something you need to memorize, but yes, you should memorize them. Otherwise, you start saying odd things, which will be a problem if you want readers to take you seriously.

many pieces of wood missing, but he kept on walking on the bridge.

If there's too many pieces of wood gone, and it's a wooden bridge... what's he walking on?

When Damian was walking on the bridge, a piece of wood broke under his feet, and he fell through the bridge. He landed in the water but was saved by a Squirtle.

Again, more detail about this event would be a good idea. This is an exciting moment. You need to capture the reader's attention by detailing this as much as possible to keep their interest. We don't care about the phrase "was saved by a Squirtle." We do care if we can actually visualize what happened by a longer account filled with emotion.

He was on the Squirtle's shell, and the Squirtle carried him back where he came from safely.

All the way to the cabin, eh?

I think you mean to say something along the lines of Squirtle carried him to shore.

Overall, you could use a bit of proofreading. I would recommend getting a beta or at least familiarizing yourself with some of the problem rules you seem to be having trouble with -- namely, homophones, possessives, and compound sentences -- by looking up the rules on Google. A lot of the corrections I made above are just repetitions of the same basic mistakes over and over again, which could either be sorted out with a thorough read-through by yourself and with a beta reader (someone who will read your story and point out where it could be improved) and/or if you look over your mistakes and teach yourself the rules of grammar.

As for the storyline, I agree that it's a bit lacking, particularly because you don't go into too much detail. Remember that you're primarily a storyteller, so you need to provide as much detail about a scene as possible to help us, the readers, understand what's going on and visualize it. Once we can visualize what's happening, we'll be drawn into your story. Right now, it's hard to really care about your characters because you really don't give them a chance to act. You rush from one event to another with little breath in between, so literally, your characters haven't had a chance to so much as speak, much less get hurt or react to what's going on around them. You've got to slow down and show the reader exactly what's in your head -- the conversations, the rescues, the battles, that sort of thing -- so we can fully experience your story.

Additionally, a few things seemed a little too convenient. A Bulbasaur just happens to want to join Damian for no reason. A girl just gives Damian a Charmander, despite the fact that he came to her with no idea as to how to take care of his own Pokemon. A Squirtle literally came out of nowhere to help Damian, who doesn't actually seem to be drowning anyway. You really should explain motivations. Why did the girl just give Damian a Charmander? Why did the Bulbasaur trust Damian right off the bat? Why did Squirtle suddenly appear to save him, even though all he did was fall into Squirtle's territory?

In general, it's okay for a start. Readable, which is definitely something for a first. You just really need to work on slowing down and getting the whole story on paper.

Last edited:

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
    Years
    I have to agree with Jax; you need to title your fiction rather than bellowing to the community that this is your first fiction. Now, I usually do insanely picky reviews, but I see that Jax has beaten me to it and covered virtually everything I could ever think of reviewing. Just read his advice and develop chapter two with the review in mind.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    When a sixteen year old named Damian was washing up his body in a lake nearby his cabin, he saw a Bulbasaur watching him so he looked at it and it suddenly ran away. Damian got out of the lake and walked inside his cabin to freshin up.
    "freshen" not "freshin". And why is a sixteen-year-old living on his own in the middle of...somewhere? What happened to his parents? What happened to him in his previous life? Give the readers some more information about your character so that they're not wondering about him.

Also, describe more of the surroundings. Where's the cabin? In the middle of the woods? In the middle of a field? I'm probably picturing something different from what you are thinking of, and it's your duty to tell me what it is that you want me to see.

And I'm beginning to wonder about the random Bulbasaur. Those Pokemon are rare in the wild. There's not just going to be one wandering around.

When Damian walked outside his cabin, he was wearing a black necklace, a blue shirt, and black shorts with white shoes. Later when he was walking along a trail, he saw the same Bulbasaur standing in front of him.
    How does he know it's the same Bulbasaur. You didn't mention any markings that would differentiate it from another Bulbasaur.

And what are the surroundings for Damian? You still haven't mentioned where it is that he's walking around. Forest, field, desert, beach? Where is he and why is he there?

Damian walked along passed Bulbasaur and kept on walking on the trail. When he took a break by sitting on a tree stump, he saw the Bulbasaur again. The Bulbasaur walked towards him and rubbed its body against his leg.
    "past" not "passed".

What makes Damian so special that a wild Bulbasaur would come up to him. It doesn't even matter what intelligence level you're writing the Pokemon at. Damian didn't do anything to earn the Bulbasaur's trust. Unless this Bulbasaur escaped from a lab where it was to be a Pokemon for a starting trainer, then it's not used to humans. (Unless there are a lot of humans around wherever Damian is, wherever that is.)

Damian rubbed Bulbasaurs head with his hand. He smiled at Bulbasaur and told him to come with him on the trail. When they were walking along the trail for hours, they felt getting hot and Bulbasaurs bulb on its back was getting on fire.
    To make a possessive, it's apostrophe-s: Bulbasaur's.

Bulbasaur's bulb is a plant. Plants that are left outside, even for hours on end, don't spontaneously burst into flames. They dry out, that I'll give you. But not catch on fire. That requires something to directly touch them to make flame, like a lightning bolt.

Damian grabbed Bulbasaur and put it around his hands so it can get cooler. Bulbasaur was getting hotter so he ran as fast as he could. When he was running he saw a girl with a Charmander so he went to talk to her about his Bulbasaur.
    It seems really odd that Damian's best solution to making Bulbasaur feel better is to carry it. The thing's on fire. I'm sure that a sixteen-year-old would know not to touch fire.

And the girl is random. She's just sitting there with a Charmander waiting for trainers with Bulbasaur-on-fire to come running by? You could say that she's training, or something better.

The girl told Damian that his Bulbasaur was burnt so him and the girl went inside her cabin to get something to heal Bulbasaurs burn. After the girl healed Bulbasaur, she gave Damian two pokeballs.
    Why does she randomly give Damian two Pokeballs? You're making everyone trust Damian too readily. Not even Ash was trusted that readily when he was carrying his Pikachu. He had to show identification to a police officer in order to be believed. Damian hasn't shown this girl anything that says that the Bulbasaur is his, yet she still believes him.

Damian looked at the girl in a confused way and she told him that she was giving him a spare Charmander to keep for himself and she also told him that he should keep his pokemon in a safe place so they wont get hurt like what Bulbasaur got burnt.
    "how Bulbasaur got burned" instead of "what Bulbasaur got burnt".

Why is the girl handing over spare Pokemon to a random person she doesn't even know? You're seriously making Damian out to be a Stu, a perfect character in simplest terms. He gets everything handed to him with no questions asked and no trouble.

Damian went outside of the girls cabin and put Charmander and Bulbasaur inside their pokeballs and waved a goodbye to the girl while he was walking on the same trail. When he was still on the trail, it suddenly ended into a clear body of water.
    Still have the possessive problem with missing apostrophes. Also, your first sentence is long. Break it up, use a comma, make it shorter somehow.

What type of body of water? Ocean, stream, lake, pond, puddle, river, waterfall, and so on? You have to be better with the description.

Damian was looking around the body of water to see if there was a bridge or a boat. He saw a bridge so he went on it but it had to many peices of wood out but he kept on walking on the bridge.
    "had too many pieces" not "had to many peices". And your phrase "kept on walking on the bridge" sounds awkward. Remove the first "on" for a simplest fix.

Damian doesn't strike me as that intelligent. I mean, the bridge is rotting, and he still decides to cross it? Plus he carries a Bulbasaur that's on fire.

When Damian was walking on the bridge, a piece of wood broke on his feet and then he fell through the bridge. He landed in the water but got saved by a Squirtle. He was on the Squirtles shell and then the Squirtle got him back were he came from safely.
    Okay, Damian just officially landed in "Ash-land" of the Stu-kingdom. He's going to get all three Kanto starters for no particular reason. Those Pokemon are rare. You don't see many trainers with those Pokemon in either the games, anime, or manga. In fact, having one of those Pokemon pretty much marks you as a "received first Pokemon from a professor" trainer.

-

Your story moves way too fast. There's no description of anything: the surroundings, the characters, the things that actually happen. This reads way too boring, with the lack of dialogue and the sentences that are nothing more than "He did this and then this and then this. He did this." You have to spice up your writing if you want readers.

You also need to fix your grammar and spelling. Use a free spell-checker online to fix your simple spelling errors. They distract the reader.

And as I said, Damian is trusted way too easily. He doesn't have to fight for anything yet. And he got all three Kanto starters for no reason. (Yes, he hasn't technically caught Squirtle yet, but still. It's there when any other common Water Pokemon could have worked.) Everything just works out for him. Readers know nothing of his past, leaving the question as to why he's in the middle of nowhere with no parents. And he's really just boring because I haven't seen anything of his thoughts, his feelings, his dreams, his anything that makes him human.

Your story needs some work to get better. Look at the stickied guides in the Lounge for some basic help.

The Dominator 2000

The Dominator
    Years
    Chapter Two.

When Damian got onto shore, Squirtle looked at him and smiled. Damian knew that Squirtle wanted to come with him because of his sad look on its face so he got up and told Squirtle to get on his head.

Squirtle didn't want to get on Damian's head but he wanted to bring him across the ocean by swimming underwater. Damian put his arms around Squirtles shell and Squirtle dove underwater. When Damian and Squirtle arrived on the other side, they seen a mountain raising all the way to the top of the atmosphere.

Damian got onto a trail that leads to the top of the mountain and when he got up there, he suddenly saw a Pidgey falling from the sky. When Damian saw the Pidgey, he put down Squirtle and dove for the falling Pidgey.

Later on, when Damian caught the Pidgey, a Pidgeot came flying under him and then he landed on the Pidgeots back. When the Pidgeot was flying towards the top of the mountain, Damian quickly grabbed Squirtle.

When Damian and Squirtle landed ontop of the mountain, they seen a cabin nearby so they went inside and they saw two pokeballs on a table. Damian picked up the pokeballs and told himself that one pokeball is for Squirtle but he didn't know what the other one was for.

When Damian turned around he saw the Pidgey that fell from the sky flapping its wings towards him so he leaned down and told the Pidgey to come with him. The Pidgey flapped its wings again and then Damian opened up the pokeball and the Pidgey went inside.

When the Pidgeot brought Damian back down to the other side of the mountain he saw alot of grass surrounding him and then suddenly a Rattata came by and gnawed on his shoes. When Damian was about to get the Rattata, the Rattata ran away.

When Damian was following the same trail that started from his cabin, he saw the same Rattata getting attacked by a Spearow so he grabbed a rock from the ground and threw it towards the Spearow.

The Spearow got hit and it flew away from the Rattata. The Rattata walked towards Damian and started gnawing at his shoes again so he let the Rattata gnaw his shoes and then he kept on walking the trail.

When Damian and Rattata was still walking along the trail, they seen the same Spearow that attacked Rattata so Damian threw a rock at it again and then the Spearow fell. Damian looked at it and then he sat down next to it and waited until it was conscience again.

to be continued...

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    You're still making the exact same errors even after having two reviewers go through your chapter and help you out. You still haven't even fixed the "adding an apostrophe-s to make a possessive". Jax and I both explained it to you.

The chapter still has spelling errors that could have been fixed with a spell-checker. That was told to you.

The story's still boring and lacking of description, dialogue, and anything to actually catch the reader's attention.

There are still the same problems, and I'm not about to leave this open for people to review when you're not going to listen to them. You're pretty much insulting your reviewers by not listening to them when they are giving you advice to improve.

When you post a story and you get advice, it's best to listen to it if it's helpful and will help you improve. And when it comes to fixing basic grammar and spelling errors, then that's not something you can ignore.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back