• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

my first sprites

Years
  • This is my first sprite. the its all custom and i think its able to be inserted into a game. its not really named and thats one of the reasons im posting this. The other reason is that i want an opinion on if its any good

Last edited:

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Well, at least you scratched it I guess.

You need 4 examples of work to open a showcase pal. I'll leave this open for now so you can edit 3 more in, but if there's not 4 in here by tomorrow then I'm afraid I'm going to have to close this.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Uhh dude, let me explain:
    When making a sprite that is going to be inserted into a game, NEVER use default colours. Instead, try to take colours off of other Pokemon.
    Also, when making a sprite, use more than one shade of a colour. Let's take that spider for example, you could have different shades of red for the body, and different shades of black for the legs, and make it so that the light seems to be coming from the top left.
    Lastly, the limit of colours for a Pokemon sprite is sixteen, while yours only have 3-5, try to use more colours, and different shades as I said before.

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
    Years
  • hey im well an average fakemon spriter and well you have a long way to go but im here to help not to just say your bad because thats just stupid ANYWAY

well maybe take a look at chesu's Tut : https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=176686

he explains about shading and the circle method that really helped me when i first started out :)

your rough outline is well ok because no double lines or anything, the best one is the first one because its the most realistic :P

also wha program are you using for this???? paint.net is what i use i would consider that or photoshop or Gimp :?

When making and outline just find the most darkend colour on the body of your sprite and darken it a bit more and use that colour as the outline, :)

um also make sure all of your sprites are facing bottem left and not fowerd like the snake, well i hoped i helped i look fowerd to maybe seeing your sprites in a few games/hacks ;)

Good luck

~kian~

ScizorZ

ROAR I"M A TACO!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    I love your designs and ideas (especially the spider thing cuz red and black are my favorite colors) but I agree you do need to work on your shading. I'm not a good shader too but I'm getting semi better. You might want to choose in which direction the Sun or Light of the room is shining from, such as the right which is where I usually notice it comes from in pokemon games.

ScizorZ

ROAR I"M A TACO!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    lol fat cat, I like the concept but it still seems 2D, you need to shade in his stomach and the shading on his right side is NOTICABLY straight

ScizorZ

ROAR I"M A TACO!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    I liek the shiny, mind if I make my own version to show you how to shade it, or should I not?

EDIT: If you did not want me to do this please notify me, but I'm just trying to help you out.
    Here is my version:
    my first sprites

I know it's not in the center but whatever... I'm not the best spriter either but at least I'm trying to help. I positioned my light source to his upper right (our left) to give it distinct areas of light. I also shade under things that may stick out or can cast shadows such as his mouth and head. Since his light source is the left, we shade the most on the right, and it will be darkest at the most bottom part because it is also shining from above. Here is a list of things wrong with your original sprite...

1)When I zoomed in, there were too many amounts of colors trying to shade. you don't need to have every single shade in between shades since most DS games cannot hold that many colors. I had to pick out the most contrasting colors from each shade just to get the perfect color scheme.
    2) The white background was also many types of white. (I'm guessing you got these colors from Tyranitar and got it from a Google Image Search and picked out one that wasn't a PNG or it was a snapshot of one.)
    3)If you were putting these into hacks, they would be too small, the GBA games have specific pixel dimensions being 64x64 for every Pokemon. The DS games however have an 80x80.. You can easily fix this by going to IMAGE, ATTRIBUTES, and then I forgot lol.
    4) Well this is actually a good thing, you had a concept, or at least it looks like one, you didn't jump into large dragon things that would suck like most Spriters who make it nowhere do on PC. You seemed to keep it simple yet stylish.

I hope I helped,
    I am Scizorz The Magical Taco and Noob Spriter

Last edited:

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    i understand itsover9000's issues with paint.net and GIMP, as we are friends in real life as well, niether of us have administrative priveleges on our computers and we also have internet filters, so it is a bit hard to download and use either of those. since paint is already programmed, it seemed easier to use that instead of hacking into your own computer and giving yourself administrative rights. so, "default colors go!" , but even so, i agree with 5qwerty, using default colors is not a good idea, especially when hacking pokemon emerald, because you can't add new palletes into emerald.

(EDIT #2): BTW, his sprites have 10 colors.

(EDIT): also, i agree with ScizorZ, you do keep it simple and stylish and don't jump into things that would be too hard for your current skill level.

so, for everyone else, if you had a problem with him using paint, now at least you understand his sorrows.

MANYO, GO!

Not to sound rude but you do realise you can change the default colours in paint right?

Paint isn't an excuse, I've used NOTHING but paint for most of my pixel art career. It's a simple, effective tool, that if you use it right, produces fantastic outcomes.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • As I've said in the past... Probably even in my tutorials, I prefer MS Paint. I don't know, I guess it's just something about that big clean working environment. It feels more... friendly, casual, than things like PSP.

ScizorZ

ROAR I"M A TACO!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    his sprite did not have ten colors, if you actually zoomed in, you would see that he has MANY different shades of every color as if if trying to make it seem natural except he is is just placing them in random places of the sprites. It's like a photograph basically. Also there are no excuses for misplaced colors. And as Fox said you can change the default colors. I'm sure none of us ever had to hack into our computers just to change the colors on paint. In fact, because of all the different colors, I have reason to believe he got this either by:
    a) going on Google and taking one he thought was good but it was JPEG'd and he did not know/care about that.
    b) going on Google and taking a picture of a Tyranitar sprite that was JPEG'd therefore explaining the the color variations a different way.
    c) Maybe he did everything right except for the fact that the site he used to upload his pictures from messed with the colors.

-Smash

Lv.86 Pixel Artist
    Years
  • Not to sound rude but you do realise you can change the default colours in paint right?

Paint isn't an excuse, I've used NOTHING but paint for most of my pixel art career. It's a simple, effective tool, that if you use it right, produces fantastic outcomes.

Im worse. I have used paint for every single pixel I have drawn in my life.

As for +9000, I'd advise to have original pokeman sprites around your file to use as references, so that you could constantly look at them and copy their features, like shading style and line placements.

That, and to work in stages.. Like, once you make a lineart, you could post it here for people to help. Once you have something good, then you would color and post it here to get help again, then shade and ask again, fix details, ect. It would be a good thing to remake all of the pokemans you have now like this, because with what you have now, you won't be going anywhere.

Years
  • i uzed yanmega colors for this and it should be 80 by 80 and yes i dont use 64 by 64 because im used to bigger spriting i had to remake the spider dude a cuple times to make it fit into 64x64. o yah and i made a winter thin and my spider is wearing a santa hat LOLZ and i redid the snake

ScizorZ

ROAR I"M A TACO!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    They still need a lot of shading, but I really love the snake thing. I'm not all too cracy about the spider though

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
    Years
  • Snake: cool colours more shading needed on leaves on its head good outline 2 well done :D

Spider: Not much to say but shading is needed a lot :/

Back