• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

my pokemon site!

will you give feed back and join?

• yes

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • no

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

benthekid

Know one knows you like you do
    Years
    well i have more than 15 posts so i can. i own a site its a simple a site whitch took some time to make.
    the anime site.i would also say feed back please,but when people do they swear and shout at me.so if you have any ideas NOT HTML then post them.i am always happy to change just be nice about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    I won't join but I will give you some constructive feedback.

First of all, the background is REALLY distracting, just too many characters and stuff, it just really distracts from any content on the site and also is a bit hard to look at.

Also with the banner + the background, part of the left of the banner looks like it is part of the background (again due to all the characters there)

next, down the page on the affilating banner, it is not aligned properly with the layout, the right of it goes off the black bit onto the background.

finally the poll is also not aligned properly, again the right side of it is off the black bit onto the background.

This is just at first look since I don't have time to look over the site for anymore problems or any improvements that can be made.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    Anyways, now for some criticism.
    This is just to make your website better; I am not insulting you in any way.

The background is suggestive in one spot and it is very annoying to look at due to its complexity. I'll point it out if you'd like.

Also, take out the crappy poll and that stupid statcounter. Make sure your images will fit into your template as well. Several of them stick out of the template.

Another thing, fix up your grammar. It's a pain to read already and bad grammar makes it worse.

Years
    I'm going to give you some criticism here again now...

First of all, you try to make your site look too flashy, like your background images, you could easily make it look better by having no background image and instead maybe just a colour (make sure it blends with the other colours on the site, like the blue template thing in the middle)

Second of all, you have waay too many images, and that combined with the template you've used makes the site rather slow to load. Most slow internet users would press the back button straight away rather than wait ages for it to load. (just like if you have a bad layout or bad colours, most people would look at the site for 2 seconds, and then press the back button).

Finally fix your grammar and spelling mistakes, they are horrible to look at when reading the site. One example of a spelling mistake is this:

afiltrate us!, the correct way to spell it is affiliate.

Look around at other more professional sites, like some news sites or something, to get an idea of what good sites look like.

edit: a few more things (anyone else can come in and tell me if they think I am wrong):

Tiled backgrounds are BAD, seriously, the last two backgrounds I have seen (the last one and this christmas one) have been tiled, it looks shoddy to be honest, horrible to look at, etc.

You have waay to many apps/widgets, it's very obvious you're trying to look flashy and showoff.

finally, try and learn HTML/CSS*, seriously. it's not hard if you do some studying. I've done website design classes on my course and my girlfriend (who has looked at your site and agrees with everything I've said so far) is at Uni training to become a website designer. We know what we're talking about. the majority of people who see your site would probably press the back button straight away.

oh and use a colour wheel as well, to help show what good colours match, if you don't know what a colour wheel is, GOOGLE it. you'll get links straight away. Good sites make sure their colours are easy to see/read and mix well together.

this is all the advice I'm going to provide. You can't really get much better advice than what I've told you.

*Some links of interest for learning HTML/CSS:

https://w3schools.com/
    https://htmldog.com/

Last edited:
    Years
    I would like to offer my own criticism here.

I have seen the site for the past few days and seen the background image change three times, each picture being different but all being tiled.

You do not need that background image at all. The template that you are using must have a choice for a background colour instead of using a tiled image.

I am not saying background images are bad, just that the ones you choose really don't help the layout at all. The only way background images work is when they are properly put together to make a layout.

The site also doesn't look good on higher resolutions.

Years
    ok, just to say now, the layout looks better with the background colour, it meshs well with the layout template used.

Only real issues now layout wise (not including spelling/grammar) is the banner and some of the alignment issues at the side, (ie the affiliate bit and pokemon episodes next in japan bit)

Spoiler:

Thought a picture would help things, the banner as you can see has a weird line through it and besides that, it should really be stretched so you dont have that black space behind it. but besides that, that is all the layout issues I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    Hoo boy, there's a lot amiss here.

Well, there's plagiarism of other site's content. It's blatant, in some cases, like in your AttackDex, where you've not even bothered to remove the links back to Psypokes - the site you copypasted it from - and less so in others, such as the hotlinking of Serebii's anime images. There are numerous spelling and grammar mistakes, and the vast majority of your site is, for all intents and purposes, empty. It's seriously devoid of content. And let's face it, what content would you have that a million and one other Pokémon sites have? The mistake pretty much every new Pokémon-centric site makes these days is to be like Serebii. Who's going to use a crappy knock-off site when the original is easier to access, easier to read and ad-free? The forum section is a poorly written facsimile of PC/SPPf. The 'anime banners' section is awful, with 5638532659526 images stretching right across and beyond the screen, and it takes several years to load thanks to the sub-par hosting provider you have. The store area is dodgy territory - I get the distinct feeling that it might just be a scam. The Pokédex section is a list of Pokémon - gee, very useful when you want to know what a Krabby learns at level 39.

So how do we fix this? Write your own content, for one, and host your own images for two. Try and do something innovative rather than sticking to the Serebii-established norm, and try to think more about the user experience - loading loads of images on that banners page is not something people on dial-up want to go through (yes, there are people who still use dial-up). Try to be less like Serebii, in short.

Zenith101

boss
    Years
    Pika-webs

I'm sorry I won't join because Webs isn't much fun for me and second it doesn't appear to me look WOW.
    Looks nice for a beginner keep at it.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    And it's been almost a month. You've had plenty of time to be improving it. A month in web design is a lot. I could've had an entire site up by now, layouts and everything, and to be honest, I'm not that good of a webmaster.

Years
    And it's been almost a month. You've had plenty of time to be improving it. A month in web design is a lot. I could've had an entire site up by now, layouts and everything, and to be honest, I'm not that good of a webmaster.

I've been monitoring him/his website/the things said on it recently and well... lets see

1) he does NOT take critism well, and will not care what people says. he has on occassions either said at least people join here (or something like that) and once used his view count as proof (I have monitored both the chat box and the guestbook and seen stuff like that)

2) he seems to think that if you dont have many apps, your website is not good (he even said to someone you need more apps to make it good or something like that)

3) he has stolen things, he does NOT ask for permission from psypoke to use their attack dex. Infact I swear he didn't even give them credit until the other day. Also he steals images from other websites by hotlinking to them, (no credit whatsoever either, nor does he take the image off their site and put them on his server), that wastes peoples bandwidths. (examples under the pokemon next aired in japan are serebii.net and pocketmonsters.net) wasting peoples bandwidth is bad mmmk

This guy is not much of a webmaster (I wont even use the word developer here), and incase anyone wants to know, he has spammed the link on bulbagarden, getting his original account benthekid banned and sending pms to people (again) with another account on there gliscor1 or something... just incase people go there and didn't know

and to above about asking people to join: as I type this up, above it says:

Posting links to other forums/boards is not permitted.

so yeah, it probably is against the rules because he is asking people to join even if he is not posting a link to the forum, I would categorise them as the same thing

Years
    Not to mention hotlinking from Arkeis and not even giving credit, which he says give credit if you use his images. He didn't even say thanks after begging for a freaking pokemon of the week image that I made for him.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    Guess what. Blatant plagiarism is a no-no, as is asking people to join a forum. I think it's about time we lock this.
    *Locked*

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back