• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Team for VGC 2016

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years

• VCG 2016

THE NEW LINEUP!

So I am looking to try out a different team than what I have been running. In all honesty, I do not battle much so there is a lot I still need to learn. I am not all that familiar with what double pairings are potent and what ones are not - for example what an optimal partner for Xerneas is and why. VGC 2016 rules set is appealing to me though, and the pool for mons seems much smaller, so I figured it was a good place to start.

My Team for VGC 2016
    My Team for VGC 2016
    My Team for VGC 2016
    My Team for VGC 2016
    My Team for VGC 2016
    My Team for VGC 2016

The above is my current line up, and their spreads and move pools are extremely generic for VGC 2016. The team lineup was given to me by an acquaintance as a suggested team to use, as it is a powerful team lineup for the VGC 2016 meta, so I am told. My problem with this lineup is that people seem rather prepared for it an since I do not know enough about the team, my record is less than stellar and I wanted to kind of try out some other teams as well. One Pokémon that I wanted to try was Giratina in Origin forme, as it is one of my favorite Pokémon for its design, and I am told that it is pretty good against both Primal Groudon and Mega Kangaskhan thanks to its typing. So with that, I wanted to include some of the other Pokémon from my other team that I liked - Xerneas, Smeargle, and Cresselia.

My Team for VGC 2016

Giratina ¤ Griseous Orb
    Naughty - Levitate
    +4 Defense | +252 Sp. Atk | +252 Speed
    Draco Meteor | Shadow Force | Will-O-Wisp | Protect

My Team for VGC 2016

Xerneas ¤ Power Herb
    Timid - Fair Aura
    +4 HP | +252 Sp. Atk | +252 Speed
    Dazzling Gleam | Geomancy | Moonblast | Protect

My Team for VGC 2016

Cresselia ¤ Rocky Helmet
    Bold - Levitate
    +252 HP | +172 Defense | +84 Sp. Def
    Psychic | Moonlight | Ice Beam | Thunder Wave

My Team for VGC 2016

Smeargle ¤ Focus Sash
    Jolly - Own Tempo
    +252 HP | +6 Defense | +252 Speed
    Dark Void | Follow Me | Transform | Spiky Shield

My Team for VGC 2016

Thunderous ¤ Focus Sash
    Timid - Prankster
    +4 Defense | +252 Sp. Attk | +252 Speed
    Thunder Wave | Thunderbolt | Taunt | Focus Blast

My Team for VGC 2016

Lucario ¤ Lucarionite
    Jolly - Inner Focus
    +4 HP | +252 Attack | +252 Speed
    Protect | Iron Tail | Close Combat | Substitute

My choice for my Mega was Lucario, and it really is not justified outside of me just liking him. Close Combat is one of my favorite feel good attacks and I wanted to bring that on to my team because I not only wanted a Steel type Pokémon, but I also thought that having Mega Mawile and Xerneas on the same team, might be unnecessary. I also was a fan of using Smeargle and Thundurus to put my opponent's active slots to sleep or set up some speed advantage and try to 2 for 1 them with Mega Lucario.

So now I bring my team to this RMT thread for some advice, feedback, and tips so I can better my game a bit more.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What's the point of Giratina having an Adamant nature when it's running a special attack and 252 Special Attack EVs? That's a waste. Here's something to keep in mind for Shadow Force: while it does break through Protect and similar moves, threats like Yveltal and Mega Kangaskhan can easily switch into it. Change Giratina's nature to Naughty.

A bulky spread isn't viable on Thundurus nowadays, IMO, since it's rather frail and Zapdos does the role of bulky Electric better. A Focus Sash set is the best milage you can get out of it (though you may have to do something about Smeargle, since it's also holding Focus Sash and item clause is part of the VGC rules):
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Focus Blast
    -Taunt/Thunder Wave
    -Protect
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Prankster

Mental Herb is the item that blocks Taunt and Encore once. The item you may be looking for here is Power Herb, which removes the charge-up turn of moves like Geomancy, which Xerneas is often seen with.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • What's the point of Giratina having an Adamant nature when it's running a special attack and 252 Special Attack EVs? That's a waste. Here's something to keep in mind for Shadow Force: while it does break through Protect and similar moves, threats like Yveltal and Mega Kangaskhan can easily switch into it. Change Giratina's nature to Naughty.

A bulky spread isn't viable on Thundurus nowadays, IMO, since it's rather frail and Zapdos does the role of bulky Electric better. A Focus Sash set is the best milage you can get out of it (though you may have to do something about Smeargle, since it's also holding Focus Sash and item clause is part of the VGC rules):
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Focus Blast
    -Taunt/Thunder Wave
    -Protect
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Prankster

Mental Herb is the item that blocks Taunt and Encore once. The item you may be looking for here is Power Herb, which removes the charge-up turn of moves like Geomancy, which Xerneas is often seen with.

I processed the suggested changes and ran a few games. I am thinking I should just ditch Thundurus, as I have not really brought him in and I am not really liking the Scarf on Smeargle. I will give it another day or two, so I am not making cuts based on an extremely small sample size. Thanks for the suggestions!

Back