• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Myths and Legends of Alola: New Information Revealed

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • Pokemon being revered as omnipotent creatures has been a theme since generation 3. Generations 1 and 2 are the only pokemon games that don't have omnipotent pokemon. Why would it be an issue now? Pokemon games are fantasy, the gods in pokemon shouldn't be an issue now when they never were an issue in the past. None of the games are banned because of religious views, and as far as I know I don't think their sales have been impacted over religious views.

I'm excited for some omnipotent tiki pokemon! Hopefully they will play well and will be accessible for capture naturally in the game.
    None of the legends are actually Omnipotent. Arceus and it's direct creations are the closest in terms of in their powers.

Speaking of pokéreligion, I got a feeling that SM could fit together the various mythologies. The official site asked at one point as to what Solgaleo and Lunala's role in the world was, or something along those lines. Then we got the "everything comes together in..." part of the reveal trailer. I would like them to converge the myths.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • Since the introduction of the space environment for battling in ORAS and the correlation between meteorites and Infinite Energy/Mega-Evolution that was revealed in ORAS(not to mention the Anistar Sundial having connections with Mega Stones and space origins), I couldn't help but wonder if we'll see more space-related themes in the near future with SM.

With that said, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and speculate that Solgaleo and Lunala are going to be directly from space. Interestingly, they both share the Psychic type that all of the other "extraterrestrial" Pokemon have, like the Elgyem line, Solrock and Lunatone, Jirachi, and Deoxys. Masuda and Ohmori stated in E3 that Solgaleo and Lunala are meant to be emissaries of the sun and moon according to Alola legend. An emissary is a person sent on a special mission usually as a diplomatic representative, so I find it really interesting that they would use that wording to describe them. Maybe Solgaleo and Lunala are peace-keepers of sorts between Poke-Earth and their alien homeworld? I would also like to point out that the Pokemon equivelant of the Mauna Kea Space Observatory is located where it is IRL on the Big Island, so that right there tells me we'll be seeing more space stuff in these games.

Years
  • Since the introduction of the space environment for battling in ORAS and the correlation between meteorites and Infinite Energy/Mega-Evolution that was revealed in ORAS(not to mention the Anistar Sundial having connections with Mega Stones and space origins), I couldn't help but wonder if we'll see more space-related themes in the near future with SM.

With that said, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and speculate that Solgaleo and Lunala are going to be directly from space. Interestingly, they both share the Psychic type that all of the other "extraterrestrial" Pokemon have, like the Elgyem line, Solrock and Lunatone, Jirachi, and Deoxys. Masuda and Ohmori stated in E3 that Solgaleo and Lunala are meant to be emissaries of the sun and moon according to Alola legend. An emissary is a person sent on a special mission usually as a diplomatic representative, so I find it really interesting that they would use that wording to describe them. Maybe Solgaleo and Lunala are peace-keepers of sorts between Poke-Earth and their alien homeworld? I would also like to point out that the Pokemon equivelant of the Mauna Kea Space Observatory is located where it is IRL on the Big Island, so that right there tells me we'll be seeing more space stuff in these games.
    I speculated a long time ago on this site that perhaps the legendaries came from the Sun and the Moon('s cores). As Masuda said, the Sun is responsible for Life on Earth, while the Moon impacts our world. The most obvious impact on our world irl is on the seas, but scientists also believe that the moon could actually play a slight role in how people feel.
    It could be that Solegaleo is meant to be the guardian of Life (Yes Xerneas is ralted to life, but it's closer to the Kyogre of Life, while Solgaelo will be the Lugia or Manaphy of Life.), and Lunala is one that interacts with people, like a teacher of sorts.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Here's an interesting theory that I had come upon while surfing Twitter:

https://aminoapps.com/page/pokemon/6925348/tapu-kokos-secret
    Hmm! That's incredibly interesting, actually. I'm excited about seeing what these 4 island guardians end up being. I'm also excited to find out what their typing will be.

Also wondering how Zygarde would fit into a similar setup...
    I have a sneaking suspicion that Zygarde will feel pretty out of place in this game - that it won't actually play a role in the plot and is just thrown in there to make up for no Pokémon Z. But, I could be wrong.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 9, 2019
    I wonder if they player will help zygarde restore peace after solgaleo and lunaala are set loose by the evil team. It could be similar to rayquaza's role in the delta episode of oras.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • If anything, I think we'll get something called "Episode Z" as the post-game quest. The "Z" label has been plastered everywhere else in the franchise except for the main series games. This hypothetical post-game could be related to Solgaleo and Lunala, but I think that the conservation theme behind the basis of Alola's native Pokemon would suit it better; Zygarde's power is all about bringing restoration to the ecosystem once the damage has already been done, not so much putting a stop to an impending disaster before it happens(like with Rayquaza and Giratina). There's two scenarios that I've thought of:

- There might be some damage(albeit not too graphic, maybe some missing species of Pokemon) done in the main plot relating to Solgaleo/Lunala that the player is unable to prevent. When you enter the post-game "Episode Z", you are tasked by Kukui to find the Cores and Cells to use Complete Forme to restore the extinct Pokemon species to their normal numbers.

- The evil team wants to restore the dwindling numbers to the existing Alola Pokemon and getting rid of the Pokemon not native there. Plan A involves using Solgaleo/Lunala in the main plot, that plan fails. Plan B is to use Zygarde's ecosystem-restoring powers to restore the Alola ecosystem and Alola 'mons population to what they perceive as "perfect" and original. It's a race between you and them to collect the Cores and Cells to bring about Complete Forme, similar to how Flare has Blue Core and Ash has Red Core in the anime. Zygarde won't do their bidding because it sees the current environment perfect the way it is, evil team learns their lesson, disbands, end of story.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    This "island guardian" stuff is giving me deja vu vibes from the 2nd movie, as if RSE's plot wasn't already enough of a knockoff. Hopefully, I'm wrong, though.

Years
  • This "island guardian" stuff is giving me deja vu vibes from the 2nd movie, as if RSE's plot wasn't already enough of a knockoff. Hopefully, I'm wrong, though.

We still aren't sure if SM will have a plot similar to RSE though.

If anything, I think we'll get something called "Episode Z" as the post-game quest. The "Z" label has been plastered everywhere else in the franchise except for the main series games. This hypothetical post-game could be related to Solgaleo and Lunala, but I think that the conservation theme behind the basis of Alola's native Pokemon would suit it better; Zygarde's power is all about bringing restoration to the ecosystem once the damage has already been done, not so much putting a stop to an impending disaster before it happens(like with Rayquaza and Giratina). There's two scenarios that I've thought of:

- There might be some damage(albeit not too graphic, maybe some missing species of Pokemon) done in the main plot relating to Solgaleo/Lunala that the player is unable to prevent. When you enter the post-game "Episode Z", you are tasked by Kukui to find the Cores and Cells to use Complete Forme to restore the extinct Pokemon species to their normal numbers.

- The evil team wants to restore the dwindling numbers to the existing Alola Pokemon and getting rid of the Pokemon not native there. Plan A involves using Solgaleo/Lunala in the main plot, that plan fails. Plan B is to use Zygarde's ecosystem-restoring powers to restore the Alola ecosystem and Alola 'mons population to what they perceive as "perfect" and original. It's a race between you and them to collect the Cores and Cells to bring about Complete Forme, similar to how Flare has Blue Core and Ash has Red Core in the anime. Zygarde won't do their bidding because it sees the current environment perfect the way it is, evil team learns their lesson, disbands, end of story.

I wonder if they'll actually do such a plot. I can see it offending environmentalists who wish to curtail or even eradicate invasive species in places where the native species are dwindling, so it could create some controversy.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • So each Guardian will most likely be a new pokemon. Which I am really glad for. I kinda hope they all stay Fairy. It does remind me of a tiki, but very little, but I think it is supposed to be based off of one of the Guardians. I also love the name.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I like the design of Tapu Koko, very cool. I can't wait to see what the other Island Guardians look like. Also love it's typing, jeez there's a bunch of Electric-types that got revealed today. Tapu Koko might be the Guardian that's associated with the weather, and it's typing has made me think of a theory; in that video in the "the end of Pokemon" thread, the guy mentioned how there's 4 islands and your hometown island translates to "yellow" from MeleMele. He implied that the 4 islands and their names could mirror the colors of the first Pokemon games to coincide with the 20th Anniversary: Yellow, Blue, Red, and Green. We got an Electric/Fairy for Yellow Island, so for the other ones I think we'll get Water/Fairy, Fire/Fairy, and Grass/Fairy.

Also they showed off 50% Zygarde transforming into Complete Forme, and once again showed their typings which I thought was odd, because I would think everybody would know by now that Zygarde is Ground/Dragon. They seem to be reving up the Zygarde hype train again because it's like they're showing it off as a brand-new Pokemon... well technically the Formes are except for 50%.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    This seems a bit random, I guess to be sure to go into Complete forme you will need to put a sash on him.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I assumed that Solgaleo, Lunala, Marshadow, and Zygarde were going to be the four guardians under different names, but it turns out Tapu Koko and co. are going to be this gen's legendary quartet.

It does, but I can't remember what it's called. When it's HP gets in the red, that's when it turns into Complete Forme.

The ability is named Swarm Change.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I don't know if Zygarde has a new ability that make it turn into Complete Form.

It does, but I can't remember what it's called. When it's HP gets in the red, that's when it turns into Complete Forme.

This seems a bit random, I guess to be sure to go into Complete forme you will need to put a sash on him.

The ability is called Swarm Change. I think it was said it works like Zen Mode forme change. So when either 10% or 50% get to critical health, they'll transform into the Complete Form with half it's health regained.

Back