• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Nasty Nicknaming Crash Bug

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2015
    My team has recently discovered a major bug in our hack Pokemon Clover's newer builds:

Big image inside:
    Spoiler:

This nasty, glitchy crash screen is what happens when you try to nickname a caught pokemon, then send it to the PC when you already have 6 pokemon in your party.

We have previously had issues with that bit of text in our demo version and we think the crash may be related to that.

What can we do? This looks like it might need an ASM wizard to fix, and any help would be greatly obliged.

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
    Years
  • My team has recently discovered a major bug in our hack Pokemon Clover's newer builds:

Big image inside:
    Spoiler:

This nasty, glitchy crash screen is what happens when you try to nickname a caught pokemon, then send it to the PC when you already have 6 pokemon in your party.

We have previously had issues with that bit of text in our demo version and we think the crash may be related to that.

What can we do? This looks like it might need an ASM wizard to fix, and any help would be greatly obliged.

looks like you've over written some tiles somewhere, or maybe the special used in it the script has been corrupted, not too sure

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2015
    looks like you've over written some tiles somewhere, or maybe the special used in it the script has been corrupted, not too sure

It's not a graphical error, the crash occurs after clicking Ok on the nickname, hence the idea that the error is coming from the bit of text about sending the pokemon to the PC.

Here is the messed up bit of text in question, seen when you send a pokemon to the PC without nicknaming it:
    Spoiler:

Now this issue does have a source that we can trace back: a botched script editing of the Magikarp Salesman at the route 4 Pokemon Center. If you have any idea on how to possible fix this, mabye by just putting the original script for that NPC back in it's right place along with the "Sent to box" script that was included with him, please tell us.

PurpleOrange

Years
  • It's not a graphical error, the crash occurs after clicking Ok on the nickname, hence the idea that the error is coming from the bit of text about sending the pokemon to the PC.

Here is the messed up bit of text in question, seen when you send a pokemon to the PC without nicknaming it:
    Spoiler:

Now this issue does have a source that we can trace back: a botched script editing of the Magikarp Salesman at the route 4 Pokemon Center. If you have any idea on how to possible fix this, mabye by just putting the original script for that NPC back in it's right place along with the "Sent to box" script that was included with him, please tell us.

the screenshot seems to show that you've botched up the buffereing of the box name, do you mind posting the script? than maybe we can figure it out

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2015
    the screenshot seems to show that you've botched up the buffereing of the box name, do you mind posting the script? than maybe we can figure it out

Sure

Here is The Botched edited version from Clover:
    Spoiler:

Now to compare, here is the original version of that script from vanilla Firered:
    Spoiler:

The guy who edited the script fugged with the box sent text buffers that are apparently used elsewhere besides this little Troubait (Magikarp) event.

PurpleOrange

Years
  • Sure

Here is The Botched edited version from Clover:
    Spoiler:

Now to compare, here is the original version of that script from vanilla Firered:
    Spoiler:

The guy who edited the script fugged with the box sent text buffers that are apparently used elsewhere besides this little Troubait (Magikarp) event.

found your problem, the text at 0x1A5CF1, 0x1A5D6E and 0x1A5D6E is completely f*****. it was probably a better idea to repoint the text scripts rather than editing them, it's overwritten other stuff and caused it to go into a mess

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2015
    found your problem, the text at 0x1A5CF1, 0x1A5D6E and 0x1A5D6E is completely f*****. it was probably a better idea to repoint the text scripts rather than editing them, it's overwritten other stuff and caused it to go into a mess

In that case can i fix the bug by simply bringing back the old version of the script from Firered? If the original text is put back it should re-overwrite everything back into place yes?

PurpleOrange

Years
  • In that case can i fix the bug by simply bringing back the old version of the script from Firered? If the original text is put back it should re-overwrite everything back into place yes?

yes but best do it by hex, type this at 0x1A5CF1 in a hex editor
    Spoiler:

this should fix the text errors, and hopefully fix the script overrunning into other stuff

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2015
    yes but best do it by hex, type this at 0x1A5CF1 in a hex editor
    Spoiler:

this should fix the text errors, and hopefully fix the script overrunning into other stuff

Having some trouble with this, do i overwrite starting from that offset or do i just paste it at that offset? I have never done Hex editing before and my editor won;t seem to let me replace starting from an offset. Is there a specific editor that is commonly used around here?

PurpleOrange

Years
  • Having some trouble with this, do i overwrite starting from that offset or do i just paste it at that offset? I have never done Hex editing before and my editor won;t seem to let me replace starting from an offset. Is there a specific editor that is commonly used around here?

overwrite it, hxd is usually the most used, you can copy and paste it as long as when you paste use ctrl+b at 0x1A5CF1 instead of ctrl-v

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2015
    no probs, feel free to message me if you have any other problems :)

The team is getting very close to finishing up maps, and the next step in our development plan is to do the event scripts. We are actually looking for a scripter now if you want to hop on board.

Back