• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need help diversifying my team?

Nineray

Green Okido
Years
  • My team at the current moment only have one definite Pokemon on it which is Greninja

Greninja Protean Modest @ Expert Belt
    252 Sp Attack 252 Speed 4 Attack
    U-Turn
    Ice Beam
    Hydro Pump
    Dark Pulse

I wanna add Vivilion as another fast sweeper

Compoundeyes Modest @ None
    252 Sp Attack 252 Speed 4 HP
    Sleep Powder
    Quiver Dance
    Hurricane
    Big Buzz

and this is where I get stuck.
    I for sure want a tank and a staller, however I don't know who I should choose. I'd like to have a physical sweeper as well. Any suggestions on what I should change or add? Also I'm not really playing in a specific tier if that helps. Thanks!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I wouldn't add in Vivillon as an attacker because Volcarona does what it can do better (Quiver Dance attacker):
    -Quiver Dance
    -Fiery Dance
    -Bug Buzz
    -Roost
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/192 Def/68 Spe
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Flame Body

Greninja needs Extrasensory somewhere in its moveset to deal with Mega Venusaur better (Thick Fat makes Ice Beam a neutrality on it):
    -Hydro Pump
    -Ice Beam
    -Extrasensory
    -Dark Pulse/Hidden Power (Fire/Grass)/Grass Knot/Spikes
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash
    Ability: Protean

Defog support is pretty much a necessity, given Volcarona's Stealth Rock weakness. Lati@s can do the job:

Latias:
    -Draco Meteor
    -Psyshock/Thunderbolt
    -Defog
    -Healing Wish/Roost/Recover
    Nature: Timid
    Item: Life Orb

Latios:
    -Draco Meteor
    -Psyshock
    -Thunderbolt/Hidden Power (Fighting)/Earthquake
    -Defog/Roost/Recover
    Nature: Timid/Hasty

Excadrill makes a good teammate, as it threatens Sylveon and Aegislash, while also providing backup entry hazard removal:
    -Earthquake
    -Iron Head
    -Rapid Spin
    -Stealth Rock/Rock Slide
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Air Balloon
    Ability: Mold Breaker

or
    -Earthquake
    -Iron Head
    -Rock Slide
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe (Choice Scarf) or 120 HP/252 Atk/136 SDef (Assault Vest, Adamant only)
    Item: Choice Scarf/Assault Vest
    Ability: Mold Breaker

A Steel Pokemon like Scizor and Aegislash pairs well with Lati@s for their good defensive synergy:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Pursuit/Iron Head/Sacred Sword
    -King's Shield
    Nature: Quiet
    EVs: 244 HP/252 SAtk/12 Spe

or
    -Substitute
    -Toxic
    -King's Shield
    -Shadow Ball
    Nature: Modest

or
    -Shadow Ball
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Flash Cannon/Sacred Sword
    -Sacred Sword/Pursuit
    Nature: Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Spooky Plate/Spell Tag

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Iron Head/Shadow Claw
    -Sacred Sword/Head Smash
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe

-Swords Dance
    -Bullet Punch
    -U-turn/Bug Bite/X-Scissor/Knock Off
    -Roost
    EVs: 248 HP/136 Def/104 SDef/20 Spe
    Item: Scizorite
    Ability: Technician

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Bullet Punch
    -U-turn/Bug Bite
    -Knock Off/Superpower

or
    -U-turn
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower
    -Pursuit/Knock Off
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef
    Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Technican

or
    -U-turn
    -Bullet Punch/Knock Off
    -Defog
    -Roost
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef

Try out Gliscor if you want a staller:
    -Substitute
    -Toxic
    -Protect
    -Earthquake
    EVs: 244 HP/32 Def/224 Spe
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal

or
    -Earthquake
    -Stealth Rock/Taunt
    -Toxic/U-turn/Knock Off
    -Protect/Roost
    EVs: 244 HP/204 Def/52 Spe

Nineray

Green Okido
    Years
  • Scizor
    -Swords Dance
    -Bullet Punch
    -U-turn/Bug Bite
    -Knock Off/Superpower

Gliscor
    -Earthquake
    -Stealth Rock/Taunt
    -Toxic/U-turn/Knock Off
    -Protect/Roost
    EVs: 244 HP/204 Def/52 Spe

I think I'll add these cx. I do have a Latios, the only issue I have with it is that it's a careful nature

Mumzy

Pokemon Raiser
    Years
  • Hello Nineray! :3 Vivillion can be very helpful considering his powder moves and aromatherapy, he'll work great with the future staller. though he's not the fastest hard hitting sweeper. My suggestion is maxing out HP EVs to take advantage of his good hp stats and making them really great. This way when/if you use substitute it won't take away a huge chunk of your hp and when you use leftovers you will get more hp.

You can max either sp.def or def, or even them out how you want. It's best to decide this when you've already decided on the rest of your teams stats I've noticed, so when you make EV plans for the rest of your team you can fill a Sp.Def gap if you need to, or a Def gap.

If you like sleep powder I suggest adding U-turn. This way you can sleep powder a pokemon and switch out if vivillion has a weakness to the the pokemon or if you just have a better pokemon to take down the sleeping pokemon.
    Another good addition in my opinion, to sleep powder, is infestation. What's great about vivillion with infestation is that it's special which vivillion specializes in, and it's a STAB move for vivillion. Also, if you decide to switch out vivillion perhaps with U-turn, your still doing damage.

Sorry for the vivillion rant but you can use vivillion to do major damage to a team, but not exactly a sweeper. Vivillion can help out and use his Sp.atk advantage with hurricane and or bug buzz.

Good physical sweepers can be Noivern, Crobat, and haxorus to name a few I've had experiance with. I suppose the best place to start is what typing you want?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hello Nineray! :3 Vivillion can be very helpful considering his powder moves and aromatherapy, he'll work great with the future staller. though he's not the fastest hard hitting sweeper. My suggestion is maxing out HP EVs to take advantage of his good hp stats and making them really great. This way when/if you use substitute it won't take away a huge chunk of your hp and when you use leftovers you will get more hp.

You can max either sp.def or def, or even them out how you want. It's best to decide this when you've already decided on the rest of your teams stats I've noticed, so when you make EV plans for the rest of your team you can fill a Sp.Def gap if you need to, or a Def gap.

If you like sleep powder I suggest adding U-turn. This way you can sleep powder a pokemon and switch out if vivillion has a weakness to the the pokemon or if you just have a better pokemon to take down the sleeping pokemon.
    Another good addition in my opinion, to sleep powder, is infestation. What's great about vivillion with infestation is that it's special which vivillion specializes in, and it's a STAB move for vivillion. Also, if you decide to switch out vivillion perhaps with U-turn, your still doing damage.

Sorry for the vivillion rant but you can use vivillion to do major damage to a team, but not exactly a sweeper. Vivillion can help out and use his Sp.atk advantage with hurricane and or bug buzz.

Good physical sweepers can be Noivern, Crobat, and haxorus to name a few I've had experiance with. I suppose the best place to start is what typing you want?
    As I mentioned before, Vivillon is outclassed by Volcarona as a Quiver Dance sweeper. In addition, it's outclassed as a cleric by Blissey, Sylveon and Clefable, as they're much bulkier than Vivillon is. Vivillon is just too frail for a support role. Sure, Infestation is a trapping move, but Gothitelle, Wobbuffet and even Dugtrio are much better trappers thanks to their inherent abilities, Shadow Tag and Arena Trap, respectively. While Infestation does inflict residual damage, that's better left for entry hazards. Hurricane + Compound Eyes won't save it either.

Just look at Noivern's base Attack. Would you even call this a physical sweeper? 70 Attack isn't high enough for that job. Noivern's Special Attack is higher, making it more suited for special attacking. Crobat is best left for fast support roles because 90 Attack isn't high enough for sweeping purposes. That, and its physical move pool is terrible.

Mumzy

Pokemon Raiser
    Years
  • As I mentioned before, Vivillon is outclassed by Volcarona as a Quiver Dance sweeper. In addition, it's outclassed as a cleric by Blissey, Sylveon and Clefable, as they're much bulkier than Vivillon is. Vivillon is just too frail for a support role. Sure, Infestation is a trapping move, but Gothitelle, Wobbuffet and even Dugtrio are much better trappers thanks to their inherent abilities, Shadow Tag and Arena Trap, respectively. While Infestation does inflict residual damage, that's better left for entry hazards. Hurricane + Compound Eyes won't save it either.

Just look at Noivern's base Attack. Would you even call this a physical sweeper? 70 Attack isn't high enough for that job. Noivern's Special Attack is higher, making it more suited for special attacking. Crobat is best left for fast support roles because 90 Attack isn't high enough for sweeping purposes. That, and its physical move pool is terrible.

Just giving a second opinion on how he could utilize vivillion if he really enjoys using it. There really is no outclassing when literally every pokemon is different? If there was we would all be using the same pokemon.

Noivern, Crobat and Haxorus are simply some very powerful sweepers I've seen notable competitive battlers use in which I've had experience with myself.

Nineray

Green Okido
    Years
  • For another Sweeper I was thinking that'd I'd use Malamar

Contrary and Superpower allows me to boost while still doing a lot of damage
    The only problem I see with it is that it's slow so it might be knocked out quickly and I'm not the biggest fan of using trick room since I usually don't have many slow Pokemon on it.

Malamar @Life Orb Contrary 252 Attack
    Super Power
    Foul Play
    Psycho Cut
    ???

I just don't really know what to use as a fourth move and how to integrate him into my team

I've also faced this Smeargle before and used it a couple of times too

Smeargle @ ??? 252 HP 252 Speed (My Guesses)
    Imprison
    Transform
    Spore
    Subsitute

I've used it a few times since then and it does decently, what do you guys think of it?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • For another Sweeper I was thinking that'd I'd use Malamar

Contrary and Superpower allows me to boost while still doing a lot of damage
    The only problem I see with it is that it's slow so it might be knocked out quickly and I'm not the biggest fan of using trick room since I usually don't have many slow Pokemon on it.

Malamar @Life Orb Contrary 252 Attack
    Super Power
    Foul Play
    Psycho Cut
    ???

I just don't really know what to use as a fourth move and how to integrate him into my team

I've also faced this Smeargle before and used it a couple of times too

Smeargle @ ??? 252 HP 252 Speed (My Guesses)
    Imprison
    Transform
    Spore
    Subsitute

I've used it a few times since then and it does decently, what do you guys think of it?
    Malamar isn't that good in OU because of its subpar stats, lack of resistances and 4x weakness to U-turn, the most common scouting move. Take note that Foul Play uses the opponent's Attack when calculating damage, not the user's so it only sees use on Pokemon that lack the Attack to deal damage on their own, like Sableye and Mandibuzz.

The above Smeargle set isn't that good, tbh, as Grass Pokemon are immune to Spore and Transform takes up a valuable turn to execute. If you want a Transform abuser, use Choice Scarf Ditto, since its Imposter ability transforms it into a Substitute-less opponent when it enters battle:
    -Transform
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Choice Scarf
    Ability: Imposter

Nineray

Green Okido
    Years
  • Thanks cx
    And I've also thought about Avalugg as a tank
    Avalugg Adamant 252 HP 252 Defense 4 attack
    Rapid Spin ( to get rid of entry hazards)
    Earthquake
    Avalanche(slow speed will help double damage)
    Recover

And then a Flogres as well
    Flogress Sassy 252 HP 252 Sp Def
    Moon Blast
    Wish
    Toxic
    Protect
    This is more of a staller set than Waller set
    How could I make it more of a wall or improve on it?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Thanks cx
    And I've also thought about Avalugg as a tank
    Avalugg Adamant 252 HP 252 Defense 4 attack
    Rapid Spin ( to get rid of entry hazards)
    Earthquake
    Avalanche(slow speed will help double damage)
    Recover

And then a Flogres as well
    Flogress Sassy 252 HP 252 Sp Def
    Moon Blast
    Wish
    Toxic
    Protect
    This is more of a staller set than Waller set
    How could I make it more of a wall or improve on it?
    Use neither one of those.

While Avalugg's Defense is rather titanic, its bad defensive typing hinders it from walling things. Its low Special Defnese is also an invitation for special or mixed attackers to come in and KO it. It's a dead weight as a result.

What Florges can do, Sylveon can do better. That's because Sylveon passes bigger Wishes, due to having more base HP, and has a stronger offensive presence in Pixilate-boosted Hyper Voice:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Hyper Voice
    -Heal Bell/Calm Mind
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/244 Def/12 Spe
    Ability: Pixilate

or
    -Hyper Voice
    -Shadow Ball
    -Psyshock
    -Hidden Power (Ground)/Baton Pass/Echoed Voice
    Nature: Modest
    Item: Choice Specs
    Ability: Pixilate

Nineray

Green Okido
    Years
  • What do you think of a mega gyarados with 252 in hp and defense?
    It's attack stat would be enough so it'd be like a Tank and then I can use DD to boost attack
    Also I need help finding a lead, what do you recommend?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What do you think of a mega gyarados with 252 in hp and defense?
    It's attack stat would be enough so it'd be like a Tank and then I can use DD to boost attack
    Also I need help finding a lead, what do you recommend?

Impish Gyarados should use RestTalk when it uses Dragon Dance so that it can stack up multiple boosts. That nature is a waste when Gyarados uses 2-3 offensive moves + Dragon Dance:
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Waterfall
    -Roar/Dragon Tail/Dragon Dance
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Item: Leftovers/Gyaradosite
    Ability: Intimidate

Offensive Gyarados should look like this:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge/Ice Fang/Bite (Mega)/Bounce (regular)
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry/Gyaradosite

or
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Bounce
    -Taunt/Substitute
    EVs: 88 HP/192 Atk/4 Def/224 Spe
    Ability: Intimidate

Nineray

Green Okido
    Years
  • Which set would you recommend? Or should I try and make my team based on what you've showed me so far then ask you afterwards?

Back