• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Needing some help with the "???????" Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    First of all, it's my first post ever on this site so if I'm posting in the wrong section let me know, please.

Second of all, here's the main issue: I was planning on inserting 3 new Pokémon in the Hack Rom I am currently working on, but I found out that I cannot import, play or export a sound (I'm using "Cry" v.1.4)... So I cannot insert a cry for any of the 25 "????????"s.

Which is why I'm asking you if something like that is possible, or if I have to replace 3 other Pokémon to insert the new ones? I tried following an Hex Editing tutorial, but it's clearly more than I can handle... I'll still try my best, though, if that's the correct solution.

If I could get some help, it would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
    First of all, it's my first post ever on this site so if I'm posting in the wrong section let me know, please.

Second of all, here's the main issue: I was planning on inserting 3 new Pokémon in the Hack Rom I am currently working on, but I found out that I cannot import, play or export a sound (I'm using "Cry" v.1.4)... So I cannot insert a cry for any of the 25 "????????"s.

Which is why I'm asking you if something like that is possible, or if I have to replace 3 other Pokémon to insert the new ones? I tried following an Hex Editing tutorial, but it's clearly more than I can handle... I'll still try my best, though, if that's the correct solution.

Same, I think you would have to repoint the cry table, and add the limbo slots.
    However I don't know how to add new entries to the cry table.
    Also I wouldn't recommend using the limbo slots for inserting Pokemon, because they have no Pokedex entries.
    Edit: I tried repointing the cry table and adding 25 new entries for the limbo slots, and it didn't work. It seems as though those slots are completely uneditable.
    Edit 2: I think I found the solution, repoint the Hoenn cry order and the cry table (if you haven't already) and add the 251 cries and the limbo cries after unlinking the limbo cries, put the actual limbo numbers in the limbo slots (in hex of course). Add 25 entries at the bottom of the table, and update the offests in cry editor respectively. I think that'll work.

Last edited:
    Years

Nah, it is not your fault. the limbo cries tutorials are insincere anyway.
    From what i understand. These slots are hard-wired to Unowns variations cries.
    So in order to allow the slots to be edited, you need to actually repoint and expand its cries table.

Note :
    Normal Table = 48C914 (20 3C 00 00 C4 FB 50 ... )
    Growl Table = 48DB44 (30 3C 00 00 C4 FB 50 .... )
    Cry Conversion Table = 2539D4 ( I don't understand what is this, but the hex at this offset is 11 01 which is 273 in decimal. If you open PGE and check Treecko, its Cry Convertion is 273
    C4 FB 50 is the pointer to Bulbasaur cries and so on.

Also, as Child Amnesiac stated. The Pokedex informations are uneditable because you need to expand your Pokedex as they are registered as Pokedex #387

In other hand, by my conclusion.
    If you want to edit the limbo cries, you need to expand everything started from its cry table and pokedex table. Done-able, but will take a lot of time.
    The easiest and quickest way is simply expand your pokemons using PGE.

Years
    Cry Conversion Table = 2539D4 ( I don't understand what is this, but the hex at this offset is 11 01 which is 273 in decimal. If you open PGE and check Treecko, its Cry Convertion is 273

Its not that I'm reviving this post, but when I tried experiments on it, it changes the cries on Gen 3 Pokemon. It is 2 bytes, and it follows from Treecko, Grovyle and so on.
    So when i tried to put 01 00 on it, Treecko's cry was changed to Bulbasaur's.

Back