• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nekkoala or Iwanko, who has more potential?

Years
    • PA
    • Seen Sep 5, 2016
    So my buddy John an I are VERY split down the middle on the usefulness and over all Potential of Nekkoala and Iwanko. He soo excited about a new koala Pokemon being revealed for sun and Moon. He says his ability to only be affected by "sleep" is amazing, and he might also grow to be a complete power house like conkeldurr using that giant log as a weapon. While I believe Iwanko will be the break out of the two. I can see him having high SPD and DEF. Not to mention having a rock type so early in the game can be a HUGE advantage. Our opinions are do different think we'd agree lol So what do you think?

Here is a link with more info on the new Pokemon:
    https://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/pokemon.shtml

Video Discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU9QibFNgW0

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2016
    I would side with you about iwanko in the information released when he was announced they said he along with the starters held a secret and for that reason I think he will be most useful. It could be mega evolution or it could be something else but the fact they gave him something special makes it more possible he will be useful

Nath74K

Pokéfan
    Years
    At first I would have said Nekkoala, because Iwanko seemed like the usual dog pokemon there is on the first route of most pokemon games.
    But like Magnus805 said, this secret thing could give a huge potential to Iwanko depending on what that is, so I'll vote for this one.

Years
    I think it's a close tie with both, because there's that supposed "secret" with Iwanko but as an Australian proud of our first koala Pokemon, I think Nekkoala has potential to be great as well, especially with how good its ability is in the fact that it's immune to nearly every status out there.

Years
    • PA
    • Seen Sep 5, 2016
    I would side with you about iwanko in the information released when he was announced they said he along with the starters held a secret and for that reason I think he will be most useful. It could be mega evolution or it could be something else but the fact they gave him something special makes it more possible he will be useful

I don't think he will be a mega evolution, but I do believe he will be very special.

Years
    • PA
    • Seen Sep 5, 2016
    At first I would have said Nekkoala, because Iwanko seemed like the usual dog pokemon there is on the first route of most pokemon games.
    But like Magnus805 said, this secret thing could give a huge potential to Iwanko depending on what that is, so I'll vote for this one.

He might be the dog of the region, but I think he'll be more useful. Maybe even a power house like Diggersby.

Years
    • PA
    • Seen Sep 5, 2016
    I think it's a close tie with both, because there's that supposed "secret" with Iwanko but as an Australian proud of our first koala Pokemon, I think Nekkoala has potential to be great as well, especially with how good its ability is in the fact that it's immune to nearly every status out there.

That is defiantly a BEAUTIFUL ability, but I'm very interested to see his stats and evolution. He could be the slackoff of the region, but he could also have a much weaker evolution line.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Currently it seems that Nekkoala has more potential. Iwanko has a secret so it's hard to tell at this point. However, if that secret is related to Iwanko's final evolution, then as base stage Pokemon I'll say that Nekkoala seem more useful.

Years
    • PA
    • Seen Sep 5, 2016
    Currently it seems that Nekkoala has more potential. Iwanko has a secret so it's hard to tell at this point. However, if that secret is related to Iwanko's final evolution, then as base stage Pokemon I'll say that Nekkoala seem more useful.

I think Nekkoala will have a three stage evolution line while Iwanko will only have one.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I think Nekkoala will have a three stage evolution line while Iwanko will only have one.
    So you think Iwanko won't have an evolution then?

I think it will considering it's name having 'ko' which means child, plus it's classification being the puppy Pokémon. It points to at least one evolution so at least a two stage line that is an adult dog/grown up dog. I think it'll have be a three stage line to make it on par with the starters.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    Well with possibilities of many water pokemon types, Iwanko has a big disadvantage.. I see a lot of status effective playing in the game since Nekoala is only effected by sleep status change and Iwanko's Vital Spirit does the opposite. I still think Iwanko has more potential as a pokemon and looks, but in an island based game..... water pokemon could overpower or disregard Iwanko as a key pokemon. Unless he has a night evolution into a werewolf, then he is just going to be badass.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Probably Nekkoala because of his ability. Iwanko doesn't seem like he has anything going for him. He kinda reminds me of Poochyena.

Unless that secret he holds along with the starters is mega evolution or something like that.

No, he said he thinks Iwanko will have one. As in evolve once.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    The pokemon being special may not even be related to stats or battles at all. It could just be a bonus for those pokemon.

I think the koala will main a second typing similar to how we have have a Normal/XXX pokemon (Not counting flying) for the last 3 gens with the Fairy pokemon, Girafarig, Bibarel, Deerling line, Diggersby, Pyroar line, and Helioptile.

I am thinking he become Normal/Fighting. Or possibly even Normal/Steel, especially if that log it has is from an Ironwood Tree. I know we have Meloetta and Mega Lopunny for fighting, but that is a form change and a Mega. So I am not counting those. So the typing when it evolves may hurt it for competitive play.

The dog may have 2 evolutions. ANd the Koala will have 1.

Years
    • PA
    • Seen Sep 5, 2016

I think it will considering it's name having 'ko' which means child, plus it's classification being the puppy Pokémon. It points to at least one evolution so at least a two stage line that is an adult dog/grown up dog. I think it'll have be a three stage line to make it on par with the starters.

My apologies, I agree with you on Iwanko having at least two stages. I'm not a big fan of Pokemon with out an evolution.

Years
    • PA
    • Seen Sep 5, 2016
    Well with possibilities of many water pokemon types, Iwanko has a big disadvantage.. I see a lot of status effective playing in the game since Nekoala is only effected by sleep status change and Iwanko's Vital Spirit does the opposite. I still think Iwanko has more potential as a pokemon and looks, but in an island based game..... water pokemon could overpower or disregard Iwanko as a key pokemon. Unless he has a night evolution into a werewolf, then he is just going to be badass.

Haha I agree a werewolf would most definitely be badass!

Back