• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Never owned a gen 1 game (started with gold), going to play yellow any advice?

Years
  • Hey PC,

So I never really owned a gen 1 game (played a bit) and I only owned gold. So I wanna play yellow and then see how it stacks up to its fire red/leaf green remake. Any tips? Since its gen 1, there is different strats. Any advice on teams?

Tewi

Хорошо
    Years
  • First gen isn't really hard, a kinda generic team would be Jolteon, Ivysaur, Starmie, Dragonite. Those are good, or so people say. You could also add an Arcanine and a Nidoking.

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2021
    The first generation has a lot of quirks. Psychic type is overpowered because it doesn't really have any weaknesses. Ghost is supposed to be effective against it but isn't due to a programming error, and there are only like 3 damaging bug type moves and they're all super weak, so that's useless as well.

Special Attack / Special Defense are the same in that gen making certain Pokemon (Chansey and Alakazam) much buffer than they are in later games. To the point where the entire metagame was basically built around trying to not be murdered by Alakazam.

Critical hits are tied to your pokemon's speed stat, so faster 'Mons means higher crit chance. I forget the exact number, but at a certain speed if you use an increased crit move (like slash) then the move is guaranteed to land as a critical, which is awesome and stupid. That makes Pokemon like Persian and Electrode more usable than they appear on the surface.

Sleep works differently in this gen as well. It takes an extra turn to wake up before you can do anything. This means if you have a fast Pokemon with hypnosis, you can trap your opponent forever in sleep. (too bad spore is only found on Parasect)

And Hyper Beam wont make you skip your next turn if it knocks out your opponent or breaks a substitute. So that makes it kinda broken and very spammy.

In short, you can't go wrong with a psychic type on your team, or a speedy Pokemon with sleep inducers. I'd recommend adding Electrode / Rhydon / or Clefable to your team, just because those are fun Pokemon that often seem overlooked. Have fun, and good luck!

JCarrill0

PokéMaster
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2021
    Hey PC,

So I never really owned a gen 1 game (played a bit) and I only owned gold. So I wanna play yellow and then see how it stacks up to its fire red/leaf green remake. Any tips? Since its gen 1, there is different starts. Any advice on teams?
    Yellow is a Fun game for gen 1, you will enjoy having pikachu following you around, plus if you can get it over to Pokemon Stadium and have it learn surf, you can play the mini game.
    Yellow always provided a better challenge for me (Red is my persona choice, but I played yellow way more)

Enjoy and best of luck!
    - JC

Years
    • US
    • Seen Jan 22, 2017
    Have fun falling inlove with your Pikachu, it's gonna be heartbreaking when the battery dies like mine.

Years
  • First gen isn't really hard, a kinda generic team would be Jolteon, Ivysaur, Starmie, Dragonite. Those are good, or so people say. You could also add an Arcanine and a Nidoking.

The first generation has a lot of quirks. Psychic type is overpowered because it doesn't really have any weaknesses. Ghost is supposed to be effective against it but isn't due to a programming error, and there are only like 3 damaging bug type moves and they're all super weak, so that's useless as well.

Special Attack / Special Defense are the same in that gen making certain Pokemon (Chansey and Alakazam) much buffer than they are in later games. To the point where the entire metagame was basically built around trying to not be murdered by Alakazam.

Critical hits are tied to your pokemon's speed stat, so faster 'Mons means higher crit chance. I forget the exact number, but at a certain speed if you use an increased crit move (like slash) then the move is guaranteed to land as a critical, which is awesome and stupid. That makes Pokemon like Persian and Electrode more usable than they appear on the surface.

Sleep works differently in this gen as well. It takes an extra turn to wake up before you can do anything. This means if you have a fast Pokemon with hypnosis, you can trap your opponent forever in sleep. (too bad spore is only found on Parasect)

And Hyper Beam wont make you skip your next turn if it knocks out your opponent or breaks a substitute. So that makes it kinda broken and very spammy.

In short, you can't go wrong with a psychic type on your team, or a speedy Pokemon with sleep inducers. I'd recommend adding Electrode / Rhydon / or Clefable to your team, just because those are fun Pokemon that often seem overlooked. Have fun, and good luck!

Yellow is a Fun game for gen 1, you will enjoy having pikachu following you around, plus if you can get it over to Pokemon Stadium and have it learn surf, you can play the mini game.
    Yellow always provided a better challenge for me (Red is my persona choice, but I played yellow way more)

Enjoy and best of luck!
    - JC

Have fun falling inlove with your Pikachu, it's gonna be heartbreaking when the battery dies like mine.

Oh god!!, Psychic is OP in this game? How the hell am I gonna beat sabrina then? is ohko and x speed a thing in yellow or only in red and blue?

I was thinking blastoise, charizard, venasaur, pikachu, alakazam and dragonite?

Karous

Captain Obvious
    Years
  • tbh nearly all gen 1 Pokemon have a pretty shit movepool. Fortunately for you, the game's not incredibly hard, so you can get by with just giving one or two usable STAB moves to your Pokemon. Make sure to get some mons with Ice type moves and resist Ice for the E4 (tbh Lorelei is the toughest E4 member imo, Ice Beam and Blizzard hurt), a Pokemon with a sleep move that doesn't die to everything to catch the legendary birds, and save your Master Ball for Mewtwo.

Years
  • tbh nearly all gen 1 Pokemon have a pretty **** movepool. Fortunately for you, the game's not incredibly hard, so you can get by with just giving one or two usable STAB moves to your Pokemon. Make sure to get some mons with Ice type moves and resist Ice for the E4 (tbh Lorelei is the toughest E4 member imo, Ice Beam and Blizzard hurt), a Pokemon with a sleep move that doesn't die to everything to catch the legendary birds, and save your Master Ball for Mewtwo.

I am just worried about how i can level my mons to sutible levels without getting bored. Im gonna play it naturally, seems like movepool and strats don't matter. Can you catch em all in yellow?

epseta

Don't let your memes be dreams.
    Years
  • I haven't played Yellow, but I have played Red/Blue, and even made a hack of it </shamelessplug>, and I can tell you this.

1. The first Gym leader is Brock, and all of his Pokemon are ground type. Considering your only starter option is Pikachu, you won't be able to hit Brock at all with the attacks you have, and it will take you a while before Pikachu will learn something that does even sparse damage. Your best bet on taking him on is catching a Caterpie and leveling it up until it learns Confusion at level 12 as Butterfree. It hits for normal damage against the terrible special defense of Brock's Pokemon. Don't worry, they don't know any rock-type attacks, so you should be fine. I've also heard you can catch Mankey and Nidoran before Brock in Yellow, and they learn fighting-type moves early, but don't quote me on that.

2. Monnotonne said this already, but it needs to be said again: the Psychic type in Gen 1 is god-tier. Due to a glitch, ghost-type moves do not work on Psychic types, which wouldn't matter anyways because the only move affected is Lick, and that wouldn't be the best move to defeat a Psychic anyways. Not only that, but special attack and special defense share the same stat. This means that special glass cannons like Alakazam actually are VERY resistant to special moves, and Chansey and Tauros are some of the better special attackers in this game.

3. If you're desperate for a good list of Gen 1 Pokemon, go to Smogon's Red/Blue database and look for Pokemon under the OU tag, such as Rhydon, Tauros, Snorlax, Starmie, and Exeggutor. Though I'm not sure how helpful that is because the toughest Pokemon you'll have to battle is a level 65, and you can go all the way to level 100. I'm sure you can solo the game with your favorite Pokemon if you're leveled enough and have the right moves.

4. You technically can catch them all in Yellow, but only through glitches. You won't find Weedle, Ekans, other Pikachu, Meowth, Koffing, Jynx, Electabuzz, Magmar, or Mew in Yellow using normal methods. Look up the Mew Glitch on Bulbapedia if you're interested in a complete Pokedex without trading, but be careful: doing it incorrectly might freeze the game or even corrupt your save data.

Back