• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] New Best Wishes 2 Opening

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • How I wish they had the tournament. That would be the best excuse to bring back those old characters we love (and in some cases hate) so much ^_^. They have the potential for a massive team up here.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    How I wish they had the tournament. That would be the best excuse to bring back those old characters we love (and in some cases hate) so much ^_^. They have the potential for a massive team up here.

You mean they aren't going to have the tournament?! Jeez, that's a letdown.

Also, personally, I'm not sure why they'd bring Dawn back of all people. I know it's something of a tradition to have the previous female return for a brief period of time, but the way they've done it now makes extremely little sense, as Dawn would have to interrupt her goals of becoming a Pokemon Coordinator to visit Unova, which is completely barren of Contests, which essentially means they are bringing her back for absolutely no sensible reason whatsoever. At least with Misty, they foreshadowed her appearance with the Hoso special, plus she wasn't confined to a goal thanks to becoming a Gym Leader, and even May's appearance in DP had the excuse of there being a contest that would qualify for any region she was currently participating in (in this case, her ribbon would qualify for Johto, even if it was technically won at Sinnoh). Dawn, however, has absolutely no reason to go to Unova as far as I know, and besides, Ash doesn't just interrupt his own journey to return to Kanto and visit Brock or Misty or any of those characters, so why should she? I don't think the writers quite thought this through regarding Dawn's return, as there's no real reason for her to return even for a couple of episodes, much less have her appear for the entire arc as advertized. It would have made more sense to just have Misty and/or Brock return for that arc, and that's just from looking at it pragmatically and logically.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Looking at it pragmatically and logically, Hikari is the only possibility.
    1) As you mentioned it's what writers always do
    2) The main reason is Shirona. Shirona is Sinnoh's Champion so if there were to bring old character Hikari was the only possibility. How could Shirona take someone else when she stays in Sinnoh?
    And we all know that Hikari likes to sharp her battling skills more than the other female companions beside Iris so that's the reason number 3.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    In reality main reason why Dawn is coming back is because of tradition of past female companion getting regional cameo once they leave cast, and since she still didn't get one(unless you count DP special)this was to expect.

However if we are talking about logic
    Advertizing also plays important part in everything as well, and since Misty and Brock are in BW2 games its not farfetched to expect writers deciding to use both for marketing purposes thanks to their iconic status and popularity.

If anything Misty has even stronger justification to return because of being gym leader qualifying as perfect candidate for world tournament. Her goal was to become water pokemon master having unfinished story so going on journey to catch Unova water types and enter tournaments host by Cynthia would significantly help Misty to improve and grow as trainer by battling trainers of high caliber, gaining a lot more experience that way. Which would ultimately bring her closer toward fulfillment of dream and help advertize BW2 games because of being in them. Just like Ash she always wanted to constantly improve and grow stronger, and interestingly enough her game counterpart is called trainer Misty now.

Brock definitely comes in consideration too being valid candidate to be used for marketing. He may pursue doctor thing which isn't connected with battling, but doctors tend to travel and Brock is still studying. I could see him coming to do some research and do field work with something motivating him to enter tournaments.

After all if Dawn could return for not only simple cameo despite not being in new games to help advertize them and despite there not existing contests in Unova, there is no reason why others couldn't too.

After Unova league finish there will be around 1 year at least left before new games gets released, so its obvious there will be created filler arc. World tournament is in reality most plausible thing left and i believe Junior Cup might only be prequel leading to more advanced and complex tournaments later down the road offering secondary quest for Ash to do.

So far we got only small amount of info revealed about BW2 filler arc, and we don't know how will whole arc play out. So i guess we will just have to wait and see what future brings.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Looking at it pragmatically and logically, Hikari is the only possibility.
    1) As you mentioned it's what writers always do
    2) The main reason is Shirona. Shirona is Sinnoh's Champion so if there were to bring old character Hikari was the only possibility. How could Shirona take someone else when she stays in Sinnoh?
    And we all know that Hikari likes to sharp her battling skills more than the other female companions beside Iris so that's the reason number 3.

Dawn was more of a contest battler than a battler in the same category as Cynthia and Ash, so she had little use in a region that has no Pokemon Contests (I mean, did ASH go to regions that only had pokemon contests and not Gyms and the like?). And besides which, last I checked, the only female character who actually cared about honing her battling skills (ie, gym and league-related battles) in actual trainer battles besides Iris was Misty, so the third reason doesn't actually apply to her at all.

Then again, it's also likely that Dawn was only added into the opening as a way to promote her appearance and yet still have her leave after a few episodes. They had May and Dawn appear in one of the DP openings as well, and May was only around for a few episodes, and Misty, aside from her lure, never appeared at all.

And Dawn has to have been pretty quick to finish both Hoenn and Kanto before heading to Unova. After all, she left for Hoenn in that special to do contests in the region, and we already know that Kanto has contests as well, so unless she won Hoenn offscreen, I find it hard to believe that she'd enter a region that has absolutely no contests. It's unlikely that she'd interrupt her own journey just to visit Ash. Ash never interrupted his own journey just to visit his own friends, and even with May, when she went to Sinnoh, it wasn't to visit friends so much as get an inter-regional ribbon for a Pokemon Contest.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    And Dawn has to have been pretty quick to finish both Hoenn and Kanto before heading to Unova. After all, she left for Hoenn in that special to do contests in the region, and we already know that Kanto has contests as well, so unless she won Hoenn offscreen, I find it hard to believe that she'd enter a region that has absolutely no contests. It's unlikely that she'd interrupt her own journey just to visit Ash. Ash never interrupted his own journey just to visit his own friends, and even with May, when she went to Sinnoh, it wasn't to visit friends so much as get an inter-regional ribbon for a Pokemon Contest.
    Dude, haven't seen you around these parts in ages, it's nice to see an old face.

Hm, it's pretty interesting, but I'm sure it's just a small detour. Like May was still in the middle of her Johto Contest battles, but came over to battle in the Wallace Cup (seeing as it did count towards a ribbon in Johto too), and probably to evolve her Eevee, but I can't remember if anything mentioned that it was intentional to head near Snowpoint City to the Ice Rock.

Adding to that, Dawn mentioned seeing Elesa and the Musicals, which she seemed interested in, which I think makes for a liable reason to heading to Unova, even for a break. Although I've only seen the episode pictures so far, I've no clue what she said about them.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Oh wow I just love this opening theme! I haven't watched Pokemon in such a long time after finding the BW anime to be a disappointment. However, finding this opening yesterday made me give it another chance, so I watched the last 2 eps of BW and first of BW2; I'm hooked again XD

I have literally listened to this song over 100 times, if Endless Video is telling me the truth XD It's so much more upbeat than Best Wishes, which I found to be more ending theme material than opening. Yeah, the part where they're all flying around is really weird, but the song is going on about being an arrow and...arrows fly, apparently. It does have a little pun with Hikari when she jumps in :D

The full version comes out 18th July according to Dogasu, I can't wait :D

Oh yeah, just saying, I find the Meloetta ending theme lyrics a little disturbing XD

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2013
    Although it has made some things look interesting it also makes it look like things are going to be concentrating on Ash a lot more than they have in Best Wishes. Neither Burgundy or Georgia have been shown whilst all three of Ash's rivals are seen near the end. It just makes me think that it means we aren't going to see Cilan and Iris have any major interaction with anyone other than Ash.

Hopefully we see Paul return because if this tournament is as big as they will probably make it out to be then I'm sure Paul will drop by to have a go. Hopefully they can bring back a few other rivals as well because I'd love to see how Ritchie and Tyson have gotten on especially considering Tyson won the Ever Grande Conference.

DaEpicTrainer

One Pokemon to Rule Them All
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 26, 2013
    New Best Wishes 2 Opening

Charizard approves! <.<
    I like it because of charizard.I don't watch it but it's good.5th gen sux.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2018
    Dawn was more of a contest battler than a battler in the same category as Cynthia and Ash, so she had little use in a region that has no Pokemon Contests (I mean, did ASH go to regions that only had pokemon contests and not Gyms and the like?). And besides which, last I checked, the only female character who actually cared about honing her battling skills (ie, gym and league-related battles) in actual trainer battles besides Iris was Misty, so the third reason doesn't actually apply to her at all.

Then again, it's also likely that Dawn was only added into the opening as a way to promote her appearance and yet still have her leave after a few episodes. They had May and Dawn appear in one of the DP openings as well, and May was only around for a few episodes, and Misty, aside from her lure, never appeared at all.

If you actually bothered to watch the episode, she has come for the musicals where she met Cynthia. And when the sinnoh champion herself invites you to a free for all tournament...you obviously won't turn down the offer would ya?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    If you actually bothered to watch the episode, she has come for the musicals where she met Cynthia. And when the sinnoh champion herself invites you to a free for all tournament...you obviously won't turn down the offer would ya?

I don't have Cartoon Network, and I'm also staying away from Youtube because of it currently being owned by Google, which has done things that, as a Conservative Christian American, I inherently disagree with, I also haven't completely mastered Japanese, and I'm still on boycott from Pokemon for their stupid decision late Johto, so I'm sorry I didn't know any of this.

And... actually, that's deeply strange. Why didn't they make it a bit more simple and make Pokemon Musicals the next Pokemon Contests at the start of BW instead of basically saying there won't be any Pokemon Contests whatsoever in BW, even going as far as to show Jessie throwing away her Jessalina outfit?

And to answer your question, if said tournament is not the kind of style that's part of my goals, yes, I actually would refuse even the champion of my region.

QuietDragon

a wavering flower, a bird taking flight
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    I love Pokemon openings and endings! They're almost always well-animated, even if the animation's minimal in some, with great music.

On the other hand, Best Wishes seems to be trying to do something different with its first opening... the music is still of the same great quality, but the 3D animation's just... weird. ^^;

This second opening's closer to the norm, so I like it a lot more!

The animation is good and the arrows of light for the characters in the beginning is lovely. But them flying along with them in the ending is just. Bizarre. It's the Manaphy movie's bizarro ending all over again. I appreciate all the shots of old characters and the part with the pillars and temple and such is so dramatic and cool!

On second viewing, Satoshi-tachi flying off isn't so weird to me anymore, so I like it a lot more. ^_^ Not the best, but hey! I appreciate the lovely animation and including so many of the characters!

Back