• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Directions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen today
    Nice to see this back up Nick. Looks pretty clean, and I'm liking what you've got so far. Did you reduce the header size? If so, I like it.
    Few things though, excuse my oversight had these things already been noted.

- Is the text-transform:lowercase; really necessary in the controls and headings on the nav bars and such? Seems a little odd to me.
    - The bottom context bar could do with some changes. Though I think it would be nice if you changed the design or layout of it a little for this style.
    - Some of the buttons are a tad hard to see on the categories such as this one. Since the BG is a similar colour.
    - I think that the info on the footer could benefit from some text shadow. I'm thinking along the lines of text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.4). Looks pretty nice, it'd be handy on any white text which is not on the main body.
    - The hover links in the drop down menus are a bit bright in colour, on that white background.
    - The anti aliasing (white bits around the edges) on the statusicon button such as this is noticeable on the blue background, which can be seen when you go into your subscribed threads for example.
    - Time colour is a little hard to see in the footer.
    - I wonder will all the blue link colours become a little confusing since we have mods, normal members and supporters all with blue usernames around the forums, it seems like it could be overwhelming to new members or anyone who has trouble differentiating between the various blues we have. Since people often get staff and supporters mixed up, adding in normal members to the mix could decrease clarity, possibly. Just a thought.

Other than that, I don't see much else as I poke around, just nit picking really. But as I say, glad to see this one back in development, I look forward to seeing where you go with it.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Style has been updated.

Things that need to be done:
    a. Fix link color in panels.
    b. Implement push down table w/ avatar, private messages, username & notifications. (Top priority!)
    c. Move vbcontrols in navbar above dots. (Top priority!)
    d. Make profile background color for staff and supporters more desirable.
    e. Better buttons.
    f. Put in favicon.
    g. Fix background image color.
    h. Breadcrumbs go somewhere, please! (Top priority!)

Years
  • I rather like this theme, it's simplistic yet has an edgy look about it that I always really liked.

Unfortunately...the last time I took a look at this theme, it was when I was using a smaller monitor with a resolution of 1280x1024. Now that I have this widescreen monitor (1920x1080), I've become rather put off from the brightness of the excess white space I've been seeing in all blocks. This isn't your fault at all, it's just something I've become rather uncomfortable with and—unfortunately—has put me off from using this theme for a long period of time.

So I must ask, would you ever consider making a fixed width variant in the future?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Mhmmm! I do indeed intend to make a fixed width style. :)

I may just implement it into this style as well. I haven't decided yet.

Update!: A new version will be uploaded sometime today. The search bar will be moved to the top right, as seen in various styles including PokéLink 4's pink and blue variant. Where the search bar is now will be your username, and an option to log out. In a later update, there will be a notification area to the left of your username, with a red background and the number of notifications you have. If you aren't logged in, you'll see a log in link and a register link. The log in link will open up an in-window, in-tab lightbox-like popup, which will hold the login fields for your username, password, and the remember me box. Right now it's simplistic, but in a later update, it'll be a lot more appealing. Additionally, drop down menus will be implemented to the vbcontrols at a later update as well. As it stands, this update will have the required links, but to change your avatar, you'll have to click the User CP link, be brought to the User CP, and then edit your avatar that way. Breadcrumbs will be included in the update, but they are not the final version. Updated!

Things that need to be done for next update:
    a. Make the login popup prettier.
    b. Implement the notifications to the left of username.
    c. Drop down box for the username, as well as the vbcontrols with various options relating to your profile.
    d. Perfect breadcrumbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    For the 1,000th time, New Directions had returned and is available for supporter selection. Use this thread to see what I'm working on in the style, suggest features, report things that need fixing, and praising the style. tehe!

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I think I already mentioned it before but anyways, gender shows up as 'gender:[blank space]', it's not a really big deal but yeah! And one other thing is that the dot which indicates if you've posted in a thread or not is not very clear on hot threads because it's the same colour and I wish you could make it green or something :( I love the style overall and the colours though, and the layout - it's all SPIFFY.

And oh yeah FIXED WIDTH FIXED WIDTH!

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    That's not a bug. I just haven't gotten around to putting the notices in yet, but I completely forgot about it and I'll be sure to have that in there for the next update, and the gender will be fixed as well. :]

Yoshikko

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    When I click on the little arrow for Notifications or to send someone a message, the box doesn't appear. It did yesterday so idk maybe it will go away tomorrow loll.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • I've noticed two minor things. One, I can't seem to give post comments using New Directions. And two, profile tabs don't work and instead sections load above each other (screenshot), but this only applies to my own profile. Are these bugs or just something wrong on my end?

edit: it's happening on other profiles too but there don't seem to be any trends between them.

Last edited:

Yoshikko

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    No no RL I have the profile tab bug too, but like you say it's only on your own profile, cause when I view someone else's it's just fine.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Oh dear. It looks like this update caused more harm than good. I'll try to fix them now. :[

Edit: Sent the updated file to Rukario. Waiting for him to log on and upload it. Crossing my fingers it'll fix these issues.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Okay, the profile bug should be fixed now. But now there's a mistake (I'll fix it later) with the notifications. tehe!

Question: What links do you think would be useful next to the User CP link? Also, I should note that I plan on adding a drop down menu on hover to the username with a list of options and links. Private Messages, Avatar, Signature, etc. are all going to be under that.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Could we have some of the Quick Links back? The "Who's Online" and "Open Contacts Popup" are things I use on occasion with different styles, as well as "Edit Your Details" and "Edit Options".

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Edit Your Details and Edit Options will be under the username. Maybe I should just move all of the Quick Links onto the bar and let people use that instead. Keep a link for the Rules, the FAQ, and for new posts.

Zet

Years
  • I'm having this problem in the top left hand corner when using the style. I've tried it across three different browsers and have the same result.
    New Directions

Also when will legacy support come? <3

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Update will be uploaded today. Will include fixes for notification drop down, forum title on navigation bar in the header, legacy postbit, postbit elements (selecting what you want to see in the postbit). Will include links to the user control panel, edit profile, options, private messages, subscriptions, new posts, who's online, and contacts.

In the next update, changes of color (like they were in the earlier versions of the style; blue will be the default) and fixed-width is expected to be included.

Zet

Years
  • User Control panel and all that jazz is invisible(besides the notifications) on the index page.

I can't change the fixed-width to fluid-width. It's not really a major concern but some profiles(like nica's) are ruined.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Fixed-width being added was the main purpose of the last update, but then something happened and the style wasn't working, so I went back to the last stable update and asked them to upload that. I'll see if Jake can add fixed-width style support to the style in an upcoming update.

Style accents would be great, but there are too many shades of blue to replace with style accents and too many colors to go through them all. The only colors that actually look good with this style are black, blue, green, orange, pink, and purple. Those also happen to be the only colors that are selectable.

Those links will be fixed in the next update.

I sent Steve another update a few minutes ago. Fingers crossed that it works. Fixed-width and colors aren't going to be added, but a lot of other changes that were meant from the update that didn't work properly were also added.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back