• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Doubles Team for a Beginner

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2014
    Hey everyone,

I have recently introduced myself, but have done little else whilst I get to grips with the site and also with Pokémon battling! I have recently finished Pokémon X and since have been trying to get my head around breeding (IV's, abilities, natures, egg moves!) as well as EV training for competitive play in game.

In terms of battling, throughout the game, I have thoroughly enjoyed the doubles battles, as it adds a very interesting dynamic to the battle so this is where my preference is going forwards and what the team I am trying to piece together will be involved in. I am at the point where I have decided on some initial Pokémon for the team, but I am struggling to fill the last 2 places. Being very new to this, I am unsure what else I need within the team and what would complement what I have chosen. I would like to keep the following 4 in the team if possible, but am certainly open to alternative suggestions. The only issue is, I only have Pokémon X to work with, so anything from outside this game I will need to source via trades, which will be tough as I have very little to offer.

I will try to explain my choices as to why I have chosen the Pokémon and what I will try to use them for to the best of my ability, though having never really battled if it does not make sense I do apologise. So, onto the team:-

Charizard - This guy is non-negotiable! He is my favourite Pokémon and will hopefully form the main offensive threat.

Item - Charizardite X
    Move 1 - Dragon Dance
    Move 2 - Flare Blitz (i am working towards this with a level 55 Charizard at the moment)
    Move 3 - Dragon Claw
    Move 4 - Protect
    Ability – Blaze
    Nature – Adamant

· Adamant nature boosts the power of his attacks.
    · The plan is to hopefully keep him safe to setup Dragon Dance, meaning he should be able to out speed and be a threat to most.
    · Flare Blitz is standard, although recoil could be a problem with no roost and Dragon Claw is reliable STAB.

Togekiss

Move 1 - Follow Me
    Move 2 - Air Slash
    Move 3 - Thunder Wave
    Move 4 - Protect
    Item - Safety Goggles
    Ability - Serene Grace
    Nature - Calm

· Safety goggles mean I can close down any sleep strategies pretty well with follow me.
    · Follow me easily allows Dragon and Fighting type attacks to be redirected.
    · Air slash, combined with the serene grace ability is fantastic and when combined with thunder wave, means most Pokémon could be effectively shut down. Ultimately it allows Charizard to setup for his offensive power.
    · Protect again allows setups to occur.
    Hitmontop - Another Pokémon I love the look of, which pretty much means he will be staying in the team.

Move 1 - Fake Out
    Move 2 - Close Combat
    Move 3 - Wide Guard
    Move 4 – Feint
    Item - Sitrus Berry
    Ability - Intimidate
    Nature - Adamant

· Adamant nature helps boost his attacks and the sitrus berry allows HP recovery.
    · The aim is to disrupt the opponent and protect the team as effectively as possible.
    · Close combat is a decent stab attack.
    · Wide guard helps protect from earthquake, which Charizard hates.
    · Feint helps to wipe out protect/wide guard of the opposition.

Rotom Wash

From what I have watched online, appears to be used a lot and appears to be for good reason too. Very versatile Pokémon with a lot of strengths and seems to fit in well with the above 3.

Move 1 - Hydro Pump
    Move 2 - Thunderbolt
    Move 3 - Will-O-Wisp
    Move 4 – Protect/Substitute
    Item - Leftovers
    Nature – Calm

· Leftovers allow a small amount of HP recovery.
    · Hydro pump is a solid stab move.
    · Thunderbolt used on those which resist hydro-pump.
    · Mine currently has substitute, however, I am considering protect to keep Rotom alive and allow him to scout opponent's moves.

So at the moment this is where I am. Two offensive lynchpins in the form of Charizard and Rotom-Wash, who are able to punish a fair amount of Pokémon types. This combined with follow me/air slash/thunder wave from Togekiss, plus the wide guard and feint abilities of Hitmontop means I have two supports who I feel complement them well.

Hopefully I have explained my choices above, and why I have chosen these Pokémon (Smogon has been fantastic in giving me an insight into this). At the moment, I have not provided any EV values as I am unsure as to how they work in the grand scheme of things. I do know that to make Charizard even more effective, I need to focus on speed and attack. Rotom Wash will need to focus on special attack. Togekiss on HP to make him a little more bulk and Hitmontop likewise but I am not sure what specific numbers will be required.

I have a couple of questions which I would greatly appreciate if you could take a minute or two to respond to, in order to help me develop my knowledge and the team further.

1. What is your feedback on the 4 Pokémon listed above? Would you change any moves, items or natures?

2. What two Pokémon would you add to compliment the above?

I hope I have provided enough information and posted in the correct place If there is anything more you wish to know, then please just ask.

Last edited:

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    Well, to start, if you're confused about IV and EV training, look up the user tamashiihiroka on Youtube. She's got a couple videos that explain everything about the training.

As for your team, I can already see a grave weakness to Stealth Rock. Togekiss and Charizard would take heavy hits changing in on a Stealth Rock or Stone Edge. So perhaps a Rapid Spinner could be considered for your team. There are actually a great number of pokemon that can learn this move, such as your Hitmontop. A good Rapid Spinner could be an Assault Vest Excadrill.

Excadrill
    Nature: Adamant
    Item: Assault Vest
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    Evs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Sp Def
    -Rapid Spin
    -Earthquake
    -Iron Head
    -Rock Slide

This set is more of a fusion of an offensive Excadrill with a Rapid Spinner. The Assault Vest helps bolster its below average special defenses while the EVs in Attack will strengthen its already massive Attack. Earthquake is almost always essential to a Ground-type offensive Pokemon, so when paired with Togekiss in battles (which is immune to Earthquake), you can do some real damage to both of your opponents. Mold Breaker will allow you to hit Pokemon with Levitate with Earthquake. Rock Slide also hits both opposing Pokemon. Rotom-W can cover for Excadrill's weaknesses.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Well, to start, if you're confused about IV and EV training, look up the user tamashiihiroka on Youtube. She's got a couple videos that explain everything about the training.

As for your team, I can already see a grave weakness to Stealth Rock. Togekiss and Charizard would take heavy hits changing in on a Stealth Rock or Stone Edge. So perhaps a Rapid Spinner could be considered for your team. There are actually a great number of pokemon that can learn this move, such as your Hitmontop. A good Rapid Spinner could be an Assault Vest Excadrill.

Excadrill
    Nature: Adamant
    Item: Assault Vest
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    Evs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Sp Def
    -Rapid Spin
    -Earthquake
    -Iron Head
    -Rock Slide

This set is more of a fusion of an offensive Excadrill with a Rapid Spinner. The Assault Vest helps bolster its below average special defenses while the EVs in Attack will strengthen its already massive Attack. Earthquake is almost always essential to a Ground-type offensive Pokemon, so when paired with Togekiss in battles (which is immune to Earthquake), you can do some real damage to both of your opponents. Mold Breaker will allow you to hit Pokemon with Levitate with Earthquake. Rock Slide also hits both opposing Pokemon. Rotom-W can cover for Excadrill's weaknesses.
    In doubles, entry hazards like Stealth Rock aren't used at all because switching is very rare. Doubles is a faster pace compared to singles, making entry hazards not so useful. Because of this, Rapid Spinners like Excadrill aren't that useful, though they must fulfill different roles.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • ^ ditto and seconding the limited usefulness of rapid spin in doubles. The only thing I've really seen it be useful for is the occasional sticky web.

Your team looks pretty neat though, hitmontop definitely deserves to see more action still even with fairies running about. Its technician stab mach punch and double intimidate make it really valuable in doubles.

I also think Platinum missed it, but Iron Head can't go onto an excadrill 'til ORAS is out. Not unless you transfer up from B/W. Right now in X/Y, there's no way to get it onto one. :c Metal Claw is really its best stab for steel until then.

Sorry I can't really give an in-depth review right now, but the only things I see right off the bat are no anti-fairy for things like hyper voice sylveon (all too common in doubles obnoxiously) annnnd really mach punch on hitmontop if you'd be willing to sacrifice one of those other moves would be really helpful, probably. If not though - there are uses for all the moves you have on it now. ^^

Best of luck with this, if you wanna practice doubles anytime let me know!

Back