• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Msn Virus

Mages4ever

Looking for a Challenge!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2012
    I'm pretty sure that all of the people who use MSN on PC has had a friend just recently try to send them a virus. Now the problem is, I accidentally click on one because I was highlighting stuff and accidentally click on a bad link. I am currently scanning my computer, but is there anything else that I can do?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I'm pretty sure that all of the people who use MSN on PC has had a friend just recently try to send them a virus. Now the problem is, I accidentally click on one because I was highlighting stuff and accidentally click on a bad link. I am currently scanning my computer, but is there anything else that I can do?
    The scanner should pick something up. Google whatever it picks up and find specific removal instructions for it. That should be all you need to do.

Mages4ever

Looking for a Challenge!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2012
    Edit 2: Works for now. I changed my password.

Edit: Nevermind. It didn't work. I have to scan again :/

It's more of an oldschool one, but non the less, I acted quick.
    Surprisingly, Malware Bytes didn't pick it up. But then I used "MSN Virus Remover."
    It worked, and within I think 10 minutes it found the Virus. It was in "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe"

Last edited:

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2011
    Edit 2: Works for now. I changed my password.

Edit: Nevermind. It didn't work. I have to scan again :/

It's more of an oldschool one, but non the less, I acted quick.
    Surprisingly, Malware Bytes didn't pick it up. But then I used "MSN Virus Remover."
    It worked, and within I think 10 minutes it found the Virus. It was in "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe"

Changing the password is not a bad idea, just like scanning for viruses. However, what OS are you using? On Windows XP, the file msmsgs.exe is the Windows Messenger executable, usually. If I were you, I wouldn't trust generic virus remover tools but rather scan the files using an antivirus and/or malware scanner. If Malware Bytes didn't find anything nor your (last updated) antivirus did, then it's most likely there's actually nothing.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I remember when I got a virus on MSN back when I was first starting out using MSN and learning more advance information about computers in general... and just because a scanner doesn't find a virus doesn't mean it's not there. Sorry to say, but that's probably one of the less thought out assumptions I've seen... in a long time, omg. :|

When I had the virus on my computer, advanced security suites of multiple kinds didn't find the virus. I had to download Spybot: Search and Destroy (which I would recommend as that security scanner finds a lot of harmful viruses and the sort) to get rid of the virus.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2011
    I remember when I got a virus on MSN back when I was first starting out using MSN and learning more advance information about computers in general... and just because a scanner doesn't find a virus doesn't mean it's not there. Sorry to say, but that's probably one of the less thought out assumptions I've seen... in a long time, omg. :|

I guess I should have stressed more the words "most likely". Even if you use all the possible scanners available, you couldn't be 100% sure either. Running without admin privileges and not trusting any type of unofficial, suspicious login helps quite a lot.

EDIT: Aside from the good ol' Spybot, I'd like to recommend ComboFix too. I had many occasions to use it on my friends' computers, and worked pretty good. Just like antivirus, updates are a must.

Last edited:

Mages4ever

Looking for a Challenge!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2012
    Yeah, I'm running XP.
    I googled into it a little bit, but since I use Windows Live, I just let the program remove it.
    It's weird that my AVG/Malwarebytes combo didn't pick it up.

So, I guess I'll look at Spybot, ComboFix, and a-squared.
    I'm kind of worried at this point that it's going to come back. But, for now, I might as well run a few more scans, and see if they pick up anything.

Jad

Pokemon And Megaman Fan
    Years
    i have heard of this old virus
    old
    i think it burns hard drive and destroys it so u cannot format it
    be aware of a message called invatation

Years
    HackMew: WLM, the successor of MSN (I assume you know that), resides in C:/Program Files/Windows Live Messenger/... IIRC. They're going to make the virus look legit.

Mages, in my experience and that of many others, AVG has a very poor detection rate. If you've cleared it out and don't get any signs of it reappearing, there's probably no reason to live in eternal fear. Just remember to update often and use common sense.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah, I'm running XP.
    I googled into it a little bit, but since I use Windows Live, I just let the program remove it.
    It's weird that my AVG/Malwarebytes combo didn't pick it up.

So, I guess I'll look at Spybot, ComboFix, and a-squared.
    I'm kind of worried at this point that it's going to come back. But, for now, I might as well run a few more scans, and see if they pick up anything.

You know, usually it's not so good removing stuff, especially considering it was probably the legit Windows Messenger I guess. That would kinda explain why you couldn't find anything. This time it was a simple program you didn't even use, but what if the said MSN Virus Remover deleted some system required files? Say, kernel32.dll? That's why I said you shouldn't trust too much such programs but rely on the known scanners. Be careful, okay? ;)

HackMew: WLM, the successor of MSN (I assume you know that), resides in C:/Program Files/Windows Live Messenger/... IIRC. They're going to make the virus look legit.

Yeah, I've been using MSN since version 7.0, and then switched to WLM when it came out. For the sake of completeness, here are all the paths:

Windows Messenger (bundled with Windows XP):
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

MSN Messenger
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

Windows Live Messenger
    C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2010
    It shouldn't be too bad as long as you didn't download anything or accept any files from the person sending the virus link. The worst may be some malware or spyware infecting your temporary internet files.

Years
    I ditched AVG awhile back it has very bad detection rate i went to norton 00 corp on my xp based machines and norton 2009 with my vista machine norton 09 protects me against spyware and possible attacks from the net i never sign into online messengers that i never had heard of or dont resolve to an detected server

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I ditched AVG awhile back it has very bad detection rate i went to norton 00 corp on my xp based machines and norton 2009 with my vista machine norton 09 protects me against spyware and possible attacks from the net i never sign into online messengers that i never had heard of or dont resolve to an detected server
    Have fun with your overpriced antivirus. Avira and Avast! are better than Norton, and they're both free.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 26, 2019
    Actually, Avast! is rated as one of the best Anti-Virus programs out there - both amongst the free and the paid Anti-virus protections. Norton and AVG and all that nice crap? It sucks. Out of real anti-virus programs - both would be rated low as heck. Avast! updates quite often and does its best. However, not even one anti-virus program out there can catch all the viruses: They are constantly updating and hiding themselves too. Sometimes it takes manual work. Never completely depend on anti-virus programs: work with them; they are your friends. They cover what they can; you cover what they can't.

As for the MSN viruses? I never accept anything until I verify that it is sent by the person themselves.

Mages4ever

Looking for a Challenge!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2012
    I know. I never accept anything unless it's verified by the original sender.
    But it was an accident. I was just Atl+Tabbed out of a game and I was highlighting something for my friend, when I dragged into the wrong conversation, and clicked by accident.

But anyways, I've cleared it up and what's not. And I just hope that it doesn't return.

Back