• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Pokemon Cries?

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2016
    Hi everybody!

So I was just playing my Omega Ruby edition to catch some Pokémon with hidden ability..

Suddenly, when I heard the cry of my Luxray when he jumped out of his pokéball, I somehow thought that the Pokémon could deserve new "modern" cries, because the current ones already exist a long time. Thanks to the sixth generation, we experienced a new technology with 3D-Pokémon.

So I wanted to know your opinion: Would you be happy about new, "modern" cries with the technology of 2016?

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    They already did that to a degree in X/Y but it's more noticeable on older Pokemon because by the time of D/P they were already mostly altering natural sounds to get cries - or taking random sounds off old sample CDs.
    They probably don't have a way to increase the quality of the original sounds more than what's already there and nobody wants to be the guy recording hundreds of new sounds.

Last edited:
    Years
  • When I saw the thread title, I immediately thought maybe they could try introducing the animé-style cries, with Pokémon crying the name of their species, like they did with Pikachu, though that would be an even bigger undertaking than just 'remastering' or re-recording existent cries, so that's probably off the table, and they just did it with Pikachu because of it being the mascot.

[Still, I wouldn't mind having some other 'lifelike' cries, e.g. Mew. It's so damn cute!]

Other than that, I agree with COOLTRAINER , they probably can't improve the classic cries anymore, and they probably feel it's unnecessary to go through the trouble of recording new versions of the old sounds, or new sounds altogether.

Years
  • I never liked the updated cries in Gen 6. I rather them keep the original cries for each pokemon and save the new tech sounds for new generation pokemon. I guess I have just gotten so attached to the original cries over each gen that it is part of the pokemon's identity to me.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    When playing Red I actually associated some of the calls Pokemon made with different Pokemon and not even noticing I was doing that. With that said, I literally have no problem with whatever cries are used... as long as they don't go anime-style for everything. I wish they didn't do it to Psyduck/Pikachu, and I wish it went back to how it was in previous generations. Do whatever you want GF, just avoid making more anime-style cries thank you. :)

Years
  • Like Tsuchinoko, I didn't like most of the updated cries in 6th Gen (some were terrible, such as Dugtrio and Raichu) but at the same time it would be too weird to hear anime cries in the games. Pikachu was a special case though, due to being the series mascot and all.

Years
  • It is worth noting that later generations have had more sound effect diversity among the cries of the newer Pokemon. Some notable ones include Starly's cry sounding like chirping, Vanillite's reminds me of shattering glass, Kricketot's has a xylophone sound effect, Ducklett's is literal quacking, and then of course there's Gothitelle with its "Psycho shower scene music inspired" cry.

Pansage, Pansear and Panpour also share the same cries with each other but with each one distorted differently. Same goes for their evolutions.

Back