• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New To Competitive Battling! Help please?

MonoSpectator

Neighborhood Psycho
Years
  • After having my very first link battle today and getting destroyed twice in a row, I've finally gotten the push to start really getting into competitive battling. However, I'm not very well-versed in competitive Pokemon and I'm not very good at strategy to begin with, but I'd like to start to get better at it. I slightly know about EV's and IV's and know how Natures work and all that. I'm also vaguely familiar with the tiers and such from Smogon.

I only know a few things that I want to use and a few mechanics that I like, but I'd like some good help on creating teams and such.

The current teams that I'm wanting to do are a Toxic Offensive or Toxic Spikes Stall team...maybe a Rain Dance Team as well. I don't know much of the other team types though. I would like to have a team with a Togekiss too, but I don't know where it'd be useful.

The one team I did kind of come up with was a sort of Toxic/Toxic Spikes team...but I don't have the stat specifics. I only have the Pokemon and some moves I might want.
    Spoiler:

I have no idea if this team is GOOD, but it's just something I threw together after looking over some articles.

I'd really just like some good guidance on creating good teams and on building something that reflects my battle style. I'm generally not sure what's 'good' and what isn't. Any help will be greatly appreciated ^_^

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • Nice to see you want to get into competitive battling! =) I will try to help answer some of your questions.

If you like toxic as a strategy then you may like the Stall Playstyle. Essentially stall is kinda what it sounds like; stalling out your opponents team and wearing their pokemon down with residual damage ranging from, Burn, Toxic, weather related and entry hazards. You would want bulky pokemon with good defenses and resistances as well as good movepools.

If that doesnt suite your style, then Bulky offense might. While im no expert on it as a playstyle, you have some elements of stall, but with a more offensive nature.

Togekiss is actually very useful and can be very bulky and annoying to deal with.

The set for it that i like to run is:

Togekiss
    Bold
    Serene Grace
    King's Rock
    252 HP/252Def/4Sp.Def

Dazzling Gleam
    Air Slash
    Thunder Wave
    Roost

MonoSpectator

Neighborhood Psycho
    Years
  • For the Toxic Stall, I revised the team I posted in the first post to see if I could get them to fit together a bit better and this is what I came up with.

Spoiler:

Also, I love that moveset for Togekiss. I'm not sure what kind of team it would fit with though. Is there something in particular that it would fit with? Also would a Rotom work well with it?

I know that I would like to have a Toxic Stall team of some form...but I'm wondering what are good forms of offensive teams as well? Also, what exactly are STAB moves? I've heard a lot about them, but I don't fully understand them.

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • STAB stands for, Same Type Attack Boost/Bonus. Basically whenever a pokemon uses a move that is the same type as that pokemon, it will get a power increase, though i do not quite remember the percentage.
    For example if a dragon type pokemon uses a dragon type move, it will get STAB because it is the smae type as the user.

Rotom-Wash form works well with just about any strategy and fits nicely on almost every team that needs some coverage.

Rotom-W could look like this
    Timid/Modest
    @ choice scarf
    252 Sp.Attck/252 Speed/4 HP
    Trick
    Hydro Pump
    Will-O-Wisp
    Volt Switch/Thunderbolt

or
    Bold
    Chesto Berry
    252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.Attk

Will-O-Wisp
    Hydro Pump
    Rest
    Thunderbolt

There is also a specially defensive set which is basically the same as the rest one above but with 252 EVs in Sp.Def and a Calm nature.

A good Belly Drum set for Azumarill could be:
    Azumarill
    Huge Power
    @Sitrus Berry
    Nature: Adamant
    8HP/252Attk/248Speed

Aqua Jet
    Play Rough
    Belly Drum
    Superpower

After you Belly drum, the sitrus berry is used to add more HP and then you can sweep from there =)
    Sub is not worth it on a BD set because it makes Azumarill very frail.

Also my personal Favorite for Azumarill is:

Adamant
    @Assault Vest
    Huge Power
    4 HP/252 Attk/252 Sp.Def

Play Rough
    Superpower
    Aqua Jet
    Waterfall

MonoSpectator

Neighborhood Psycho
    Years
  • Ah ok! I'll revise again. I did a few test battles on Pokemon Showdown and it seems like the team is working on, but I think these revisions will help a lot ^^

And ok, STAB makes a lot more sense now XD. Thank you.

So what are some main team types for offensive teams?

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • I would give more sets for your team, but im blanking on them (it's pretty late here xD)

Offensive teams generally invest more in speed and attack/Special attack stats and are more concerned with hitting hard and fast to get KO's. Pokemon like Mega Lucario can function on a offensive team

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • STAB means "same type attack bonus". This means that if a Pokemon uses a move of the same type as them, that move is powered up.

Venoshock is highly impractical, even with loads of Toxic support, because it's weak when the opponent isn't poisoned. Not all Pokemon in the team have to use Toxic; there are Pokemon out there that benefit from Toxic support, like Trevenant

Even though it's kinda impractical to use without Adaptability at the moment, I feel that Dragalge gets the nod ahead of Nidoqueen because it has another means to poison opponents: Poison Touch via Dragon Tail (though it's regular poison, it'll have to do if Toxic Spikes can't hit Fliers and Levitators):
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Dragon Tail
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Focus Blast/Dragon Pulse
    Nature: Sassy
    EVs: 252 HP/40 Def/216 SDef
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Poison Touch

But if you insist on keeping Nidoqueen, use Sludge Bomb over Venoshock for the reason I stated.

Aegislash is best played as a wallbreaker/offensive pivot; it needs all its moveslots to either attack or set up; as a result, Toxic doesn't find space in its sets:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Iron Head/Shadow Sneak
    -Sacred Sword/Shadow Sneak
    -King's Shield
    Nature: Quiet
    EVs: 240 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef/12 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

or
    -Shadow Ball
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Sacred Sword
    -Iron Head/King's Shield
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 SAtk/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

or
    -Swords Dance
    -King's Shield/Shadow Claw
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Sacred Sword
    EVs: 240 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef/12 Spe

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Autotomize
    -Shadow Claw
    -Sacred Sword
    EVs: 84 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef/168 Spe

or
    -Autotomize
    -Shadow Ball
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Sacred Sword/Iron Head/Flash Cannon
    Nature: Rash/Modest
    EVs: 88 Atk/252 SAtk/168 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Weakness Policy

Breloom's Special Attack is terrible, making Venoshock and other special moves terrible options on it:
    -Spore/Force Palm
    -Bullet Seed
    -Mach Punch
    -Rock Tomb/Force Palm
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash
    Ability: Technician

or
    -Leech Seed
    -Protect
    -Drain Punch
    -Spore/Rock Tomb
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SDef/4 Spe
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal

As I mentioned previously, Trevenant benefits from having its opponents poisoned; it's well-known for its longevity, despite its average defenses, making it an option over Breloom:
    -Horn Leech/Wood Hammer
    -Earthquake/Rock Slide
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Rest
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/180 Def/76 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Lum Berry
    Ability: Natural Cure/Harvest

or
    -Horn Leech
    -Shadow Claw/Leech Seed
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Protect
    EVs: 244 HP/12 Def/248 SDef
    Item: Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Harvest

or
    -Substitute
    -Leech Seed
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Phantom Force

You're not using Gengar to its full potential, which is a speedy special attacker with the ability to force switches. Curse eats away at its terrible bulk, Nightmare is easily cured with a switch, Hypnosis is notoriously inaccurate and Poison Jab works off of Gengar's terrible Attack:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Bomb/Thunderbolt
    -Focus Blast
    -Destiny Bond
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe

or
    -Substitute
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast/Pain Split
    -Disable/Focus Blast/Will-o-Wisp
    Item: Life Orb/Black Sludge

Hydreigon is one of the best wall breakers (Pokemon that inflict large amounts of damage on walls) out there. Take advantage of that. Specially-based mixed is preferred:
    -Draco Meteor
    -Dark Pulse
    -Iron Tail/Superpower/Flash Cannon
    -Fire Blast/Roost
    Nature: Rash/Mild/Modest
    EVs: 40 Atk/236 SAtk/232 Spe or 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

or
    -Draco Meteor
    -Dark Pulse
    -Flash Cannon
    -Fire Blast/Earth Power
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Specs

BellyJet Azumarill shouldn't be using Substitute; it's too slow for that role; also, it eats away at its much-needed bulk to take hits with, especially prior to Belly Drum:
    -Belly Drum
    -Aqua Jet
    -Play Rough
    -Waterfall/Superpower
    EVs: 92 HP/252 SAtk/164 Spe
    Ability: Huge Power

Last edited:

MonoSpectator

Neighborhood Psycho
    Years
  • It's ok ^^ It's late here too XD Looks like on Pokemon Showdown I'm not fairing too well at all ^^" I've lost every match except my first one XD But I suppose practice makes perfect

STAB means "same type attack bonus". This means that if a Pokemon uses a move of the same type as them, that move is powered up.

Venoshock is highly impractical, even with loads of Toxic support, because it's weak when the opponent isn't poisoned. Not all Pokemon in the team have to use Toxic; there are Pokemon out there that benefit from Toxic support, like Trevenant

Even though it's kinda impractical to use without Adaptability at the moment, I feel that Dragalge gets the nod ahead of Nidoqueen because it has another means to poison opponents: Poison Touch via Dragon Tail (though it's regular poison, it'll have to do if Toxic Spikes can't hit Fliers and Levitators):
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Dragon Tail
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Focus Blast/Dragon Pulse
    Nature: Sassy
    EVs: 252 HP/40 Def/216 SDef
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Poison Touch

But if you insist on keeping Nidoqueen, use Sludge Bomb over Venoshock for the reason I stated.

Aegislash is best played as a wallbreaker/offensive pivot; it needs all its moveslots to either attack or set up; as a result, Toxic doesn't find space in its sets:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Iron Head/Shadow Sneak
    -Sacred Sword/Shadow Sneak
    -King's Shield
    EVs: 240 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef/12 Spe

or
    -Shadow Ball
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Sacred Sword
    -Iron Head/King's Shield
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 SAtk/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

or
    -Swords Dance
    -King's Shield/Shadow Claw
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Sacred Sword
    EVs: 240 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef/12 Spe

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Autotomize
    -Shadow Claw
    -Sacred Sword
    EVs: 84 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef/168 Spe

or
    -Autotomize
    -Shadow Ball
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Sacred Sword/Iron Head/Flash Cannon
    Nature: Rash/Modest
    EVs: 88 Atk/252 SAtk/168 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Weakness Policy

Breloom's Special Attack is terrible, making Venoshock and other special moves terrible options on it:
    -Spore/Force Palm
    -Bullet Seed
    -Mach Punch
    -Rock Tomb/Force Palm
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Ability: Technician

or
    -Leech Seed
    -Protect
    -Drain Punch
    -Spore/Rock Tomb
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SDef/4 Spe
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal

As I mentioned previously, Trevenant benefits from having its opponents poisoned; it's well-known for its longevity, despite its average defenses, making it an option over Breloom:
    -Horn Leech/Wood Hammer
    -Earthquake/Rock Slide
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Rest
    Item: Leftovers/Lum Berry
    Ability: Natural Cure/Harvest

or
    -Horn Leech
    -Shadow Claw/Leech Seed
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Protect
    EVs: 244 HP/12 Def/248 SDef

or
    -Substitute
    -Leech Seed
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Phantom Force

You're not using Gengar to its full potential, which is a speedy special attacker with the ability to force switches. Curse eats away at its terrible bulk, Nightmare is easily cured with a switch, Hypnosis is notoriously inaccurate and Poison Jab works off of Gengar's terrible Attack:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Bomb/Thunderbolt
    -Focus Blast
    -Destiny Bond

or
    -Substitute
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast/Pain Split
    -Disable/Focus Blast/Will-o-Wisp
    Item: Life Orb/Black Sludge

Hydreigon is one of the best wall breakers (Pokemon that inflict large amounts of damage on walls) out there. Take advantage of that. Specially-based mixed is preferred:
    -Draco Meteor
    -Dark Pulse
    -Iron Tail/Superpower/Flash Cannon
    -Fire Blast/Roost
    Nature: Rash/Mild/Modest
    EVs: 40 Atk/236 SAtk/232 Spe or 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

or
    -Draco Meteor
    -Dark Pulse
    -Flash Cannon
    -Fire Blast/Earth Power
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Specs

BellyJet Azumarill shouldn't be using Substitute; it's too slow for that role; also, it eats away at its much-needed bulk to take hits with, especially prior to Belly Drum:
    -Belly Drum
    -Aqua Jet
    -Play Rough
    -Waterfall/Superpower
    EVs: 92 HP/252 SAtk/164 Spe
    Ability: Huge Power

Oh wow, you certainly know what you're talking about ~.~ I'll definitely use all this when reworking my team :33

Last edited:
    Back