• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen New to Pokémon

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2017
    I've never watched Pokémon and I've only played my friend's games, but they were really fun and addicting and I figured now would be a great time to start playing. I was gonna start by getting one of the first generation games on the eShop. Which one would you recommend for a new player? Also, I was planning on getting as many Pokémon as I can before the new games, so maybe take that into consideration as well. Thanks in advance!

Katchelina

"...I hope a gentle light of hope will remain."
    Years
  • Well if you want to get as many pokemon as possible and mechanics that will probably match sun and moon better then the gen 6 games may be better. the rereleases of the first games are worth it is you really want to see where the series began, see how broken those games were since it appears they disnt fix many of the biggest glitches or broken strategies and moves in the old games. The gen 1 games may also be more difficult to start with than the gen 6 games.

They have their own pros and cons.

Also red and blue are mainly different because of their version exclusive pokemon (I got Blue because I really like the pokemon exclusive to it and ninetales was my first favorite pokemon and vulpix is a blue exclusive), yellow is based on the beginning of the anime series. Several people are getting two or all three of the rereleases of gen 1 it seems.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
  • Hmm, It's all up to you really.
    Yellow is the 3rd version and it's based off the anime.
    While Red and Blue are the original games (well Red & Green are..)
    If you want to get two games, Red or Blue, and Yellow. they all have their exclusives.
    I'd say pick between Red and Blue, and if you want get Yellow.

MarioManH

top kek
    Years
  • Start with Red/Blue to get the general basis for Pokemon games. If you really enjoy them try Yellow out as its a bit different (such as getting Pikachu as a starter as opposed to a Grass/Fire/Water). They get more fun as you go, so good luck and have fun!

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • Yeah as other said start off with Blue/Red. The new gen games may be a little too intricate for someone who's never really played Pokemon. The old ones are basic and a good start.. Getting the new ones you have to put abilities, natures, added types, movepools, etc into consideration. Plus its easier to just start off with the original 151 so when you're playing newer games you know what to expect when they pop up. Or if you want 3 starters go with Yellow.

Years
  • I'd say go Yellow if it's your very first Pokemon game, cause Yellow looks better with colour graphics, and you've access to all three starters later on. But I bought Blue on my 3DS cause I get more retro warm fuzzies that way, and I never liked the cartoons or Pikachu much.

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2017
    Thanks for your replies everybody. I'm gonna get blue and maybe the other two later on if I like it enough.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
    Years
  • I recommend Yellow, it's the only version where you get all three 'starters', while you actually start off as Pikachu. Bcause of that, Yellow has the only Electric Starter in the whole series, the rest follow the Grass/Fire/Water pattern. Also, consider exclusives and trade between Red/Blue/Yellow. (You can't get Electabuzz or Magmar in Yellow though, which royal sucks. Also, you can't get Meowth/Ekans/Koffing and other such limitations that you'd get with any other exclusive version.) But, let your concience be your guide.

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
  • I'm with others in recommending Red or Blue. While Yellow is more "true" in terms of what the Mons are supposed to look like (ie, better graphics and in color where as Red and Blue are monochrome), it has a bias in that it's essentially a spinoff based on the original anime. On that front, Yellow may not give you a real representation of what to expect with the new games:
    - Yellow gives you access to all 3 Red/Blue/Green starters, including a Pikachu that you can't evolve (the anime Pikachu refuses to evolve as well). While newer games like XY have been generous by giving you access to Generation 1 starters,
    Spoiler:
    , and Wonder Trade or Safari Zone with the right person can get you lucky, we currently have no information of whether or not you'll get all these amenities with Sun/Moon.
    - Since you'll only have the Grass-Water-Fire trio and have to choose 1 in Red/Blue (Pikachu is available, but only in the wild), they'll be a reflection of how you'll have to play the newer games and it will teach you how to manage your team when you don't have easy access to Pokemon that (arguably, even for the time) were the best in their respective classes. A big part of the games is that you have to make due and work as best you can with what you have available until your options become more open.

Mirrativ

Streaming Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2016
    Red and Blue will definitely give you the original experience where everything was built off of.

Back