• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
  • I am really happy about the new type. I think it will help change things up a bit. I am also glad that it is super effective against Dragon because it has always been overly powerful in my opinion.

I think it is awesome that some older pokemon were changed to Fairy but I am surprised that they didn't change more. I would think that Clefairy would have been Fairy type. I wonder if they will change more over time?

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    my question why is everyone thinking of a "light" type as Pokemon giving off light? when it's meant to be like the fairies. when i though light was going to come out i was thinking as the opposite to dark typing. where dark Pokemon are "evil" or of that nature. wouldn't light type be the "goodies" of Pokemon like the justice 4 fighting for the good and happiness.

rant over

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    my question why is everyone thinking of a "light" type as Pokemon giving off light? when it's meant to be like the fairies. when i though light was going to come out i was thinking as the opposite to dark typing. where dark Pokemon are "evil" or of that nature. wouldn't light type be the "goodies" of Pokemon like the justice 4 fighting for the good and happiness.

rant over

If they would have made light a type it would have been the literal "light". Dark has an opposite in Fighting already. Dark types fight dirty and use cheap tricks while fighting types follow rules and fight honorably. Fighting types are the good to dark types evil.

Thats why light would have been elemental and not religion war bait.

Fairy was much better choice.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
    Years
  • I think it is awesome that some older pokemon were changed to Fairy but I am surprised that they didn't change more. I would think that Clefairy would have been Fairy type. I wonder if they will change more over time?

Marill, Jigglypuff and Gardevoir were just examples of old Pokemon becoming Faries. There will be more old Pokemon that changes into a Fairy type or dual type with Fairy type, do not worry. :)

rant over

Ahem, Light type? We already have the Light type and its called the ''Electric Type.''

pedrito3_poke

Banana
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2022
    Ahem, Light type? We already have the Light type and its called the ''Electric Type.''

I must say that I disagree when people say that.
    Electric types attack using electric shocks.
    Light types would literally attack with light, you know, photons (using laser beams, for example).

WishCookie

Years
  • I must say that I disagree when people say that.
    Electric types attack using electric shocks.
    Light types would literally attack with light, you know, photons (using laser beams, for example).

Its the same thing, Light is electricity and Electric types attack with a literally ''light'' type move called flash which you use when you take photos and fire laser beams but the laser itself contains electricity and so does everything that is ''pure light''.

''Electric Pokémon represent electricity, electrical energy, and light''

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Nobody got my Jigglypuff joke? Man you guys suck. And should play Melee.

But seriously I scratch my head at the light suggestions. What would it represent?
    If it represents light as in the good, holy, yang, opposite of evil, etc then that would be cliche and stupid.
    If it represents light as in the energy then that would be pointless and needless.
    What would "light" pokemon even be? A light bulb? Actually that could be cool.

In contrast, fairies are much more interesting:
    They could essentially be the "magic" type
    They represent the magical creatures in fairy tales, making a nice coherent to the dragon type.
    Fairies in general cover a whole variety of possibilities, including trolls, tinkerbell, mermaids (i think?), etc.

It's much better than light, or whatever.

pedrito3_poke

Banana
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2022
    Its the same thing, Light is electricity and Electric types attack with a literally ''light'' type move called flash which you use when you take photos and fire laser beams but the laser itself contains electricity and so does everything that is ''pure light''.

That's wrong.
    Electricity is transmitted through electrons and light is transmitted through photons. Two different particles. Photons do carry energy, but energy≠electricity, so laser beams do not carry electric charges (at least it is currently not possible to do so).
    Nobody got my Jigglypuff joke? Man you guys suck. And should play Melee.
    I think it was pretty obvious joke. I can't see how anyone wouldn't get it.

Last edited:

WishCookie

Years
  • That's wrong.
    Electricity is transmitted through electrons and light is transmitted through photons. Two different particles. Photons do carry energy, but energy≠electricity, so laser beams do not carry electric charges (at least it is currently not possible to do so).

Thats why we do not need a light type.

pedrito3_poke

Banana
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2022

Thats why we do not need a light type.

I wasn't talking about needing or not. I don't want light type either. I'm just saying that it's something that could happen (but won't).
    Electric Pokémon also represent light just because many of them can learn Flash, which is pretty much emiting light. They don't actually attack with light, so the existance of Electric type wouldn't impede the creation of the Light type (and moves like Flash, Solarbeam and Aurora Beam would become Light type).

WishCookie

Years
  • I wasn't talking about needing or not. I don't want light type either. I'm just saying that it's something that could happen (but won't).
    Electric Pokémon also represent light just because many of them can learn Flash, which is pretty much emiting light. They don't actually attack with light, so the existance of Electric type wouldn't impede the creation of the Light type (and moves like Flash, Solarbeam and Aurora Beam would become Light type).

Light does still come from electricity anyways. :P There's nothing more to it.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I wasn't talking about needing or not. I don't want light type either. I'm just saying that it's something that could happen (but won't).

No guarantee that those would become light type attacks. I mean look at how many Non-Flying Wind based attacks there are. Whirlwind would have switched to Flying a long with gust and so would have Razor Wind, but both stayed normal.

All three may be light emmiting attacks, but Solarbeam is an act of photosynthesis turned into a weapon so it makes some sense that its grass. Auroras only appear in the highest points of the northern hemisphere where its cold so it makes sense that its an ice attack. Doesn't really have to change.

You even have attacks like Flash Cannon which would be included really based on name. But Gamefreak have already shown that they don't always go based on body of the attack for type.

There isn't many attacks right now that have a chance for typing and possibly only a handful of Pokemon are switching to the new Fairy Type...one of which was a huge support for "Light Type"

I dunno but at this point I feel we can finally put Light to rest thanks to Fairy Type.

Also emitting light doesn't stop it from being an element. Ice is a solid state of water. In a lot of media Ice and Water are a shared element if not one and the same. Same with Ground/Rock/Steel and sometimes Grass. All four are representations of the earth unless you follow Chinese elementals where Metal is a pseudo element but still natural enough in appearance that they still count as the 5 pillars of the world. Basically just because something else can emit it or cause a similar effect doesn't mean that its written out as a possibility in the future.

Only thing we had going for light are the fans wants for it to become real. Fairy was added in instead and one of the key Pokemon that always got retyped into Light is now Fairy Type. Its been 10 years or so...maybe more since fans had started asking for Light type. It hasn't been done yet despite all the relationship they have had. I think we should just put Light to pasture until Gamefreak decides we need a new type added in.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • Well in a parallel universe, Light-type was revealed instead of Fairy-type, so there. Haha!

I always figured light-type would represent the moral light and physical light, the same way Dark-type represents moral darkness and physical darkness. Anyway, I've conceded defeat in that matter.

Fairy! Gimme that magical Fairy POWAAAAAH!

Meaii

The countdown begins ...
    Years
  • -spluttering- So, it's true?! I haven't really been up to date with the Pokémon news in the last few weeks, and I come back to this?! Wow, ... Now the types aren't even an even number! It's hardly original, how many different games/books/programs/films have fairies? Nearly all of them! I'm disappointed with Nintendo for their unoriginal approach.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
  • Oh, I absolutely love this :D I was indifferent at first, really, but now after thinking about it for a while...

Is it girly? Yes! But that's cool -- I love girlishness! Bring on the sparkly pink cute things! Sylveon looks fantastic, Flabebe is cute and unique, and I like all the Pokemon that have now been designated to receive the Faerie typing. And Faeries are rooted in mythology, so there's potential for a lot of cool-looking Pokemon based off of anything mythologically similar to the common concept of a faerie from evil faeries to mermaids to maybe even unicorns (but are more whimsical than something like Rapidash). I love it, I think it's a much better option than light or even sound.

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2013
    I agree that Poison Type should be strong against fairy. I also think that Poison should be strong against Bug Type, like it was in gen 1, as well as water because if you poison water fish die.

I really think that Grass Should be strong against fairy because grass is probably the worst type.

You're right! Fairies are EVERYWHERE and boring! You know what type they should have introduced?! Dinosaurs! Everyone loves Dinosaurs! And they're original and awesome! Oh, and manly! There aren't enough Dinosaurs in the world!

Game Freak is boring, even their name is boring. And Nintendo is stupid for thinking about this type when they actually didn't!

Pre-order canceled.

Spoiler:

Dinosaurs!{D:} What pokemon would there be? Stegaspike, the Stegosaurus Pokemon. Stegaspike used eat plants! Nothing happened!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Uhm, can I laugh now? :D "Light is simply a name for a range of electromagnetic radiation that can be detected by the human eye." So please do explain me how Normal-type is more "Light" than Electric-type is after that one.

Normal type have some of his move that can be changed to light. Moves like Moonlight, Morning Sun, Flash and Hyper Beam.

Back