• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Type? Whatcha think? (:

RocketAdmin.

Custom User Title. :)
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2011
    Hi, I was wondering. If GameFreak made a new type, what would it be?

I'm really not sure but I think Light would be pretty darn cool ^^

What do you guys think? :D

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    I've never been one to hate this sort of thing as much as I hate some other thing, but...

What would be the point, exactly?

We have 17 types and with that a balanced enough type system (though some would argue Dragons are unbalanced offensively while Steels are unbalanced defensively); what's the need to create more types for?

And what previous species would even fit these new types to begin with?

I mean, I suppose a Light type makes the most sense, but it's definitely not the first time this has been discussed...

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years

Light type is already represented by Steel and Psychic.

Unknown type already exists (???, the same type as Shadow Pokemon moves)

Chaos wouldn't an elemental property in itself, it would be a jumble of the already existing types.

"Divine" Pokemon are already segregated into the "Legendary" category. Besides, "Divine" is more of a description than an elemental property.

Alien, like "Divine", is a physical classification, not an element. Aliens can be fire/psychic/normal/whatever types just like everything else.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    How on earth is Light represented by any pre-existing type?

Steel?

Psychic is the closet thing but not close enough. Psychic is more of a Magical/Telekinesis hence Psychic type while light would be more Holy/Angellic type. The opposite of Dark types really. Dark types are usually aggressive, naturally intimidating Pokemon and usually dark/black in color while Light typeps could be innocent, loving and usually light colors.

Also, an actual Unknown type could actually be worth something. It would make way for a larger variety of Pokemon and there would end up being a lot less Psychic type Legendary Pokemon.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    "Divine" Pokemon are already segregated into the "Legendary" category. Besides, "Divine" is more of a description than an elemental property.

Alien, like "Divine", is a physical classification, not an element. Aliens can be fire/psychic/normal/whatever types just like everything else.[/FONT]

One word: Bug. But I always thought Bug being a type was a bit weird, so no need to add to that. Not to mention Dragon.

The types are pretty balanced, adding more would increase the confusingness and possibly cause more unbalancedness. But it certainly would spice things up, which should happen in each generation. Gen II: two new types, Gen III: abilities, Gen IV: special-physical split.

If they were to add one, it should be Light imo. As for how it would match-up type-wise, Ground offensively could do with evening out and Dragon defensively could also.

So Light could be super effective to Dragon and Ground could be not very effective to Light.

sabrina_diamond

Blazing dark Vulpix
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2024
    Maybe make some normal Pokemon Light and Shadow-based...
    Shadow Pikachu for the win, but Light counterpart Pokemon also?

I'd thought of two new types: Crystal and Rubber type ^^

Aberbecam

Banned
    Years
    Crystal? Crystal is already weird enough, I doubt there will be any pokemon with that type. Crystal can go to water types.
    Uhhmmmm..Rubber? well we supposed to think of elements not items.
    Rubber is somehow made from an element so it can not be used. Elements are- Fire,Water,Grass,Thunder,Dark,light,Psychic,Ghost and things like that.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
    Light would make the most sense but I don't think there would be anything that could counter Dragon offensively. I think Light would be a speed type since Dark is a slower type (not saying all dark pokemon are slow).

Besides, the ???? type that curse is really bothers me. I makes me feel like something should be there instead of dragging us on.

Years

Light type is already represented by Steel and Psychic.
    Oh look, it's this reply again.

Well, to be honest, I've never seen someone compare freaking Steel to Light. That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. But everyone always says Psychic is the same as Light, which... really doesn't make that much sense. For one, Darkness wouldn't be completely uneffected by Light. The only thing that kinda makes sense is Espeon, and even that's a stretch.

Really, I'd like to see a Light type for 2 reasons:
    1) To make everyone stfu about getting a Light type.
    2) To make everyone else stfu about how there's never going to be one/there's no need for one.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    The light type is simply the most horrible excuse for a type idea I've ever heard. There's absolutely nothing in that idea that couldn't be done using another type. If you mean light as in the sun, light bulbs, etc, you have the fire and electric types. Light as in "holy" a) provides very few ideas for new pokemon and b) is mostly covered by the psychic type.

I see almost no justification for this type. All I see is "it'd be an opposite to the dark type".
    a) Dark = sneaky/evil, we've established that.
    b) Since when does Dark need an opposite? Hell, since when has any type, ever, had a proper, polar opposite?

I'm putting in a vote for the Digital type. Unlike the light type, it opens up a massive new niche. Pokemon that fire waves of digital energy, viruses, blasts of radio waves, concentrated electronic signals that fry your brain. Who's gonna tell me that's not awesome?

I'm not even gonna talk about the "Wood" type. Some people must have parts of their brain missing....

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years

Threads are going to be repeated from time to time. >_> Besides, I haven't seen this type of thread in a little while (as in, at least a month because I think the last thread is dead (that rhymed! xD) Though, the picture is pretty cool. xD

Anyway, I agree about he light type, but what about a Lunar type? :\ It could be Cleffa\Clefairy\Clefable\Staryu\Starmie (instead of Psychic)\Lunatone (instead of rock or psychic)\Solrock (same thing as Lunatone applies)\Deoxys (?) and probably some more? :\ I dont know what it would be super effective\not very effective against though. xD xD xD

Last edited:

Ayselipera

Well everyone usually says light type when this question comes around. Which I don't blame them thats all I can think of either. Although I can understand why someone would say the steel type might already be like a light type. Since they have moves that are based off of light or deals with light like Mirror shot and Flash Cannon. But they could never represent a light type at all since none of them have a "light look."

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    The light type is simply the most horrible excuse for a type idea I've ever heard. There's absolutely nothing in that idea that couldn't be done using another type. If you mean light as in the sun, light bulbs, etc, you have the fire and electric types. Light as in "holy" a) provides very few ideas for new pokemon and b) is mostly covered by the psychic type.

So, going by your own logic, does this mean you believe that the Rock and Steel types are redundant? Rock is often seen as a subset of earth-related powers in fiction, and we can consider the impurities in metal as able to be manipulated by terrakinesis/Earthbending/whatever you want to call it. Actually, Ice would be unneeded too, since hey, it's just cold hard water!
    Also, Flash makes perfect sense as Light. Just saying. And I'm surprised nobody's brought up the potential for a Sound-type yet... of course, other than Light and Sound, I don't think there's any real potential for other new types.

toothfairy

Battling since Blue
    Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2009
    i guess technology could be one, like guns and lasers and stuff...

but that would ruin pokemon

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Light is suppose to mean 'good' as Dark essentially means 'evil'. When do we see the moves Blackout and Total Eclipse? Light also has many possibilities. If you want some example that are already here, try these:

Happiny/Chansey/Blissey (instead of Normal)
    Lugia (instead of Flying)
    Milotic (just seems to fit)
    Jirachi (instead of Steel)
    Lucario (instead of Steel)
    Cresselia (instead of Psychic, would match the story much better)
    Shaymin (forgiveness Pokemon? Totally Light; instead of Grass for Sky Forme)

And there are plenty more choices, those are just the more obvious ones. And there are a far few good moves that would fit too, especially a lot of the status ones. And it opens up lots of opportunities, as many as Dark did when it was first created.

Back