• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nice throw!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    How good are you at getting the 'nice throw' bonuses whilst catching Pokémon? What techniques do you use to make sure you hit it? Do you notice a difference in capture chance when you hit it? And most importantly, do you use the super spinny ball curve trick?

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I've been practicing my throws on the common pokemon and have gotten pretty decent at it, I can almost always get a "Nice" or "Great" catch lately, but I'm still not quite good enough to frequently get "Excellent" catches. A lot of it for me has been remembering the distance of most pokemon and then also arching the ball just right.
    For example I always remember that Drowzee are medium throws with a short arch. Zubats are long throws with no arch, and Caterpie and Weedle are short throws with huge archs.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I've been practicing my throws on the common pokemon and have gotten pretty decent at it, I can almost always get a "Nice" or "Great" catch lately, but I'm still not quite good enough to frequently get "Excellent" catches. A lot of it for me has been remembering the distance of most pokemon and then also arching the ball just right.
    For example I always remember that Drowzee are medium throws with a short arch. Zubats are long throws with no arch, and Caterpie and Weedle are short throws with huge archs.
    Am I correct in thinking that you get the 'nice' or 'great' throws by getting it inside of the circle? And the smaller the circle, the better kind of throw it registers as? Or is this totally wrong?

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • Am I correct in thinking that you get the 'nice' or 'great' throws by getting it inside of the circle? And the smaller the circle, the better kind of throw it registers as? Or is this totally wrong?
    To my knowledge you get a 'nice' throw by landing the ball in the bigger white circle and successfully catching the Pokémon, a 'great' throw by getting it in the smaller colored circle with success, and an 'excellent' by getting it dead-center in the small colored circle, again, with a successful catch.

None of which I am personally ANY good at. :|

I'm usually trying to catch Pokémon while simultaneously walking, so I never really get an accurate throw. I've gotten all three of the bonuses before, but they were just flukes.

I never even attempt the curve anymore... too much effort... Haha.

Years
  • I have terrible aim. The spin trick just isn't worth it for all the balls I'd waste when it misses completely. It's bad enough that some of the Pokemon start deflecting throws with magic or whatever. Ugh. I've wasted probably more than half my throws with misses and such.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • Nice/Great/Excellent throws all depend on where within the "smaller" inner circle you land. Excellent is basically a perfect bullseye. You can cheese it by landing one when the circle is huge, but then you risk the Pokémon escaping. I tend to only do this if the Pokémon is extremely low level.

I always go for curves first because they don't stack with the other bonuses; those will always take priority. As a result, if you throw a curve but don't land a nice/great/excellent throw, at least you get 10 bonus EXP. But if you land, say, a great throw, you'll get 50 EXP instead of 10.

Always try landing curve throws. Those bits of 10 EXP add up. 20 with Lucky Egg active.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    I don't even try for the Nices or Greats. I used to try for the Curveball bonuses, but I've found that the bonus seems to be added purely at random. I've gotten the curve bonus on completely straight shots, and I've bent it like Beckham and not gotten the bonus.

So now I just throw casually and let the bonuses fall where they may.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I don't even try for the Nices or Greats. I used to try for the Curveball bonuses, but I've found that the bonus seems to be added purely at random. I've gotten the curve bonus on completely straight shots, and I've bent it like Beckham and not gotten the bonus.

So now I just throw casually and let the bonuses fall where they may.
    I've had very similar experiences, I mostly assumed this was just my phone being slow so didn't give it much thought but as a result I tend to use the same "throw and hope for the best" method. Curve balls look awesome and all but they feel quite unresponsive on my phone.

Chuck Palahniuk

ten question marks
    Years
  • I don't usually try to go for "nice" throws like that unless it's a low CP Pokemon and I can afford to waste some Pokeballs, same with curveballs. I've mostly mastered my aim on easier to catch Pokemon.

With most Pokemon, I use this trick that I learned where you throw the ball as soon as possible, so that the ball hits the Pokemon before the Pokemon is too far away from you. This has been working for me except for when the Pokemon is strong enough to break out of the ball, then I actually have to aim. It's really helpful with smaller Pokemon like Rattata, Pidgey, and Spearow.

Years
  • I've been practicing my throws on the common pokemon and have gotten pretty decent at it, I can almost always get a "Nice" or "Great" catch lately, but I'm still not quite good enough to frequently get "Excellent" catches. A lot of it for me has been remembering the distance of most pokemon and then also arching the ball just right.

I'm curious what you mean by arch? In other words, what's the difference between "distance" and "arch" and how do you control each?

Years
    • Seen Jul 21, 2016
    Does throwing a curved ball and scoring nice excellent or great net you more exp?

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • Does throwing a curved ball and scoring nice excellent or great net you more exp?
    I always go for curves first because they don't stack with the other bonuses; those will always take priority. As a result, if you throw a curve but don't land a nice/great/excellent throw, at least you get 10 bonus EXP. But if you land, say, a great throw, you'll get 50 EXP instead of 10.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I'm curious what you mean by arch? In other words, what's the difference between "distance" and "arch" and how do you control each?

The ball archs based on how soon you let go of the ball while throwing it. So sliding your finger up the screen determines the distance in which you throw the ball and at what point you release your finger from the screen determines how much the ball will arch. So if I slide my finger fast up the screen that will create a long throw and if I lift my finger from the screen quickly that will give the ball a small arch. If I slide my finger up the screen slowly the ball will go a short distance but if I let go of the screen right at the end of the slow throw the arch will be large. All of the types of throws are more or less in between those two extremes.

Years
  • Ah! Perfect, thank you. I had never noticed the arching element... now I'm very intrigued. I'll have to experiment with this. Thanks again.

Back